JABPMâ„¢

Old April 22nd 15, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default JABPM???

On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 4:17:49 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 21/04/15 22:09, Andre Jute wrote:
On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 2:05:55 AM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

While the rather useless web page only mumbles something about
ANT+, the well hidden and equally useless PDF data sheet proclaims
that it supports both ANT+ and BlueGoof LE:
http://limits.technology/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/LIMITS-technical-specifications-PDF..pdf

What's this scorn about, Jeff? I don't know what Bluetooth LE is, but
I use Bluetooth 4 (the so-called low-power version) between my Polar
H7 heart rate monitor sensor and my iPhone, and, except for not being
as economical with power at the iPhone side as I expected, it works
brilliantly, much, much better than any other sender/receiver combo I
ever had.

I must say though, Gimpy the Power Meter isn't doing itself any
favours with any aspect of its design, implementation, presentation
or marketing.

The price is a winner though. About the only thing going for it at the
moment, and if that's enough to get the others to reduce their obscene
asking prices, I might be able to justify buying one, one day.

It would only make sense to me if I were doing scientific training. Otherwise its just another way of seeing how bad I suck. I don't have any instrumentation on any bike right now -- not even an odometer. It broke, and I didn't bother buying a replacement. That gives me leeway to claim that my rides are much longer than they are. If I'm riding with someone who is instrumented (which is most of my riding), I can goose the official mileage by claiming that I rode a long way to get to the start of the ride -- which doesn't work too well with one of my best bicycling buddies who lives at the end of my street. It's hard arguing that I put in ten miles before the ride. More like 100 yards.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 22nd 15, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2015-04-20, James wrote:
JABPM??? == Just Another Bicycle Power Meter???.

http://limits.technology/

The price is great. However:
- it speaks ANT+ but not Bluetooth;

As Jeff pointed out, it looks like it does do Bluetooth as well.

The data sheet is incorrect; I think it's older. It looks like they
removed the feature to hit their price point. The FAQ on their
fundraising campaign says:

Does LIMITS work with Bluetooth Smart?
The initial version is only for ANT+. Future versions will include
Bluetooth Smart compatibility.

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/