Solid tires - they are back...

Old December 3rd 14, 10:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

Default Solid tires - they are back...

They reappear every 10-15 years...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/activ...punctures.html

Old December 3rd 14, 12:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Occupational Aptitude Patterns
Old December 3rd 14, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/3/2014 4:35 AM, somebody wrote:
They reappear every 10-15 years...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/activ...punctures.html

In our industry this sort of thing comes and goes, at least
for a hundred+ years now. In the auto business, half baked
ideas become mandated.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 3rd 14, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

jingauling, its XMASS time in the asylum....

Solid tires are AREA 51.

Centripedal rotating mass rules ST's out but maybe OUAT ?

Tires are made in RUNS, then total production run stores in a warehouse near Duhbuke.

Conti did this with 27" TT. There were thousands. But made in the late '80's ?

I have large feet for duck hunting. 8 years ago, bought 2 pair GoreTex Nubuck hiking boots size 14EE. I ruined my feet backpacking into a 15EE.

When I went to the cupboard for a new pair, was BARE ! 'Like' there were NO NADA NICHT VAR size 14-15 anywhere not even Bolivia !

Answer was, JIS, these sizes were made when ? 10 years ago then stored in a warehouse near Duhbuke.

Amazing. If you follow stocking trends among online retailers eg Campmor, maybe REI, Jenson, Colorado Cyclist...stocking runs kinda middle of consumerisms economic good times.

As there is no good reason for solid tires with thornproof tubes, Kevlar liners, slime tubing-with thornproof at Specialized....we imagine a million solid tires stored near Duhbuke piled over someone's dead body.

Old December 3rd 14, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/3/2014 5:35 AM, somebody wrote:
They reappear every 10-15 years...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/activ...punctures.html

Based on the website, Tannus is very enthusiastic about showing off the
bright color choices for the tires. But it doesn't seem to think
rolling resistance data is worth mentioning. That makes me skeptical.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 3rd 14, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 9:59:08 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/3/2014 5:35 AM, somebody wrote:
They reappear every 10-15 years...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/activ...punctures.html

Based on the website, Tannus is very enthusiastic about showing off the
bright color choices for the tires. But it doesn't seem to think
rolling resistance data is worth mentioning. That makes me skeptical.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Probably think that people interested in solid rubber tires aren't too concerned with rolling resistance. Then again, a lot of people using pneumatic tires aren't concerned with rolling resistance either. Witness those really cheap tires and heavy puncture resistant tubes.

Cheers
Old December 3rd 14, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 6:59:08 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/3/2014 5:35 AM, somebody wrote:
They reappear every 10-15 years...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/activ...punctures.html

Based on the website, Tannus is very enthusiastic about showing off the
bright color choices for the tires. But it doesn't seem to think
rolling resistance data is worth mentioning. That makes me skeptical.

They do say that the same energy necessary to get a pneumatic tire (what tire, we don't know) up to 30kph would get the Tannus up to 29kph. There is no discussion of ride quality, cornering, wet grip -- or anything other than "it doesn't flat, and it is not too much of a pig."

The telling point is that it took the author 1 hour and lots of swearing to get the tire on the rim. I probably spend less than that fixing flats over the life of a single tire. My commuter also gets different tires over the course of a year to cope with different situations -- I'm on the big rubber now, but I see no reason to ride a piggy tire during the summer. I would hate to wrestled with the solid tires when the weather turns bad and I want something fatter, skinnier or with studs.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 3rd 14, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 12/3/2014 12:53 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

You can get some pretty decent flat protection these days without
sacrificing much in ride. I haven't had a puncture flat in years using
Spec's turbo pro tires and they handle pretty well. I had a couple
snake bites a couple of years ago after a sizable pothole put a cut in
the tire that I didn't notice but beside that, no problems. Why bother
with a solid tire?

Old December 3rd 14, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:15:49 PM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
[...]

I was thinking the same thing. My flats are very few and far between. I can see solid tires if you're riding in a debris field all the time but to me solid tires are just turning the clock back 100+ years.

Cheers
Old December 3rd 14, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/3/2014 11:53 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Besides the obvious challenges to mounting a urethane tire
in the cold and the lousy ride quality, urethane tires
hammer wheels to death.

solid tires dunawan Unicycling 9 December 9th 06 06:54 AM
solid tires dunawan Unicycling 0 December 9th 06 04:24 AM
Does a spoked rim deform then pop back? Or is it like a solid disk? DonO Unicycling 10 November 16th 05 11:48 PM
Matching tires front and back waxbytes General 16 November 7th 05 02:13 AM
pneumatic vs. solid tires for pre-schoolers meb Techniques 2 April 18th 04 08:08 AM