Brandt on soldred/tied spoking

Old April 9th 15, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Brandt on soldred/tied spoking

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 12:04:09 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
On 08/04/2015 10:35 AM, Joe Riel wrote:
John B. Slocomb writes:

On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 00:35:23 -0500, "T0m $herman"
wrote:

On 4/8/2015 12:30 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 23:44:26 -0500, "T0m $herman"
wrote:

On 2/22/2015 9:35 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 05:52:02 -0800,
wrote:
On 2/22/2015 3:58 AM, Earls61 wrote:
How is Jobst doing? Has anybody heard anything?

snip

At work, I know someone who knows him slightly. All I heard was that
he has a caretaker.

Think about the choices you make and the implications.
The implication being...?

The World's Greatest Expert(tm) thinks if Jobst Brandt had been wearing a
Magic Foam Bicycle Hat(tm), he would still be actively riding and posting
to RBT.

I thought that Brandt broke his hip initially. Do they have helmets
for hips now?

According to Thompson, Rivara, Thompson, Magic Foam Bicycle Hats prevent
69% of leg injuries.

Damn! I must be in the low 31% as it didn't help me a bit when I
crashed :-(

That explains why, after crashing and breaking my femur, the
EMTs, nurses, and doctors asked whether I was wearing a helmet.
Probably I was wearing it wrongly...

Maybe they don't do the concussion protocol if you don't wear a helmet.
We know how dangerous helmets are and how they're prone to cause head
injuries...

Funny but I've had a couple of bike crashes and no one has asked me
anything about helmets or riding or anything. I wonder where these
statistics come from when you aren't killed.

BTW I thought we were done with helmet threads for a while until Sherman
returned. Can't catch a break.

What gets me with concussion is that many times the concussed person doesn't even know their head hit something.

One time I went to hospital to get some rail-trail road rash cleaned out where I was unable to reach. Sure enough tthe ER people wanted to know if i was wearing a helmet when I wiped out. I told them yes I was but unfortunately it was on my head which is why my arm and hip were so scraped and raw.

I often wonder if that visit went into the helmet saved his life statistics..

Cheers
Old April 9th 15, 11:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Maybe it went into the helmets cause road rash statistics.

I don't know. Like I said no one at the ER has ever asked me if I was
wearing a helmet.

--
duane
Old April 9th 15, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joe Riel

my total impression is head injury examinations cost $$$ but subdural hematoma are extremely sneaky hiding for days until bloooof uncontrolled blood flow kills you.

Giffords for example. Giffords and Schumacher had life saving not available to the man on the street.

I doahn know the steps but urine there somewhere.

also possible yawl hit your head n doahn remember that.

WHERE AM I ?

YOU ARE IN ER AND YOU ARE DYING. WHERE'S YOUR HELMET ?

Old April 9th 15, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:
[...]

In the US, the ED staff is working from a script -- an Epic charting system or home-grown electronic charting system that takes them through a list of questions for every MVA/bike incident. It will have a helmet question as a means of gathering information about helmet usage and screening for head injuries. It will also ask about alcohol use, smoking and a lot of other stuff that has appears to have nothing to do with road rash.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 9th 15, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/9/2015 10:34 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 3:03:07 AM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
Like I said no one at the ER has ever asked me if I was
wearing a helmet.

In the US, the ED staff is working from a script -- an Epic charting system or home-grown electronic charting system that takes them through a list of questions for every MVA/bike incident. It will have a helmet question as a means of gathering information about helmet usage and screening for head injuries. It will also ask about alcohol use, smoking and a lot of other stuff that has appears to have nothing to do with road rash.

.... which means, "Of course you should wear a helmet!" promotion is
leading to the collection of data to be used for helmet promotion. But
_only_ for people on two-wheelers* - i.e. bicycles and motorcycles.

Meanwhile, the wheeled locomotion that causes the overwhelming number of
serious TBI incidents generates no such question.
http://la.streetsblog.org/wp-content...crop-scale.jpg
Neither does travel as a pedestrian, despite generating far more TBI in
total and per mile compared to bicycling.

(*Well, I suppose that "two-wheeler" part is not quite accurate.
Helmets are recommended, or in some cases required, for even recumbent
tricycles, even on car-free paths. Maybe the risk is toppling over when
you're trying to sit down?)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 9th 15, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Well that doesn't seem like a bad thing. It's the idiot that doesn't
know how to use these stats who is the problem. The other problem is
the people that didn't get to the ER because some safety device
prevented the need for the trip.

Apparently from SRA's comments there is something similar in Ontario.
It occurs to me that I have spent more than half my life in the states
and have never been to the ER with a bike related injury. Damn. That's
the problem! Ban bikes in Quebec.

Old April 9th 15, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/9/2015 12:15 PM, Duane wrote:
On 09/04/2015 10:34 AM, jbeattie wrote:

In the US, the ED staff is working from a script -- an Epic charting
system or home-grown electronic charting system that takes them
through a list of questions for every MVA/bike incident. It will have
a helmet question as a means of gathering information about helmet
usage and screening for head injuries. It will also ask about alcohol
use, smoking and a lot of other stuff that has appears to have nothing
to do with road rash.

Well that doesn't seem like a bad thing. It's the idiot that doesn't
know how to use these stats who is the problem. The other problem is
the people that didn't get to the ER because some safety device
prevented the need for the trip.

That's also a problem with the data on St. Christopher medals. Nobody
really knows how many tragedies they've prevented!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 9th 15, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 9:08:04 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/9/2015 10:34 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 3:03:07 AM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
Like I said no one at the ER has ever asked me if I was
wearing a helmet.

In the US, the ED staff is working from a script -- an Epic charting system or home-grown electronic charting system that takes them through a list of questions for every MVA/bike incident. It will have a helmet question as a means of gathering information about helmet usage and screening for head injuries. It will also ask about alcohol use, smoking and a lot of other stuff that has appears to have nothing to do with road rash.

... which means, "Of course you should wear a helmet!" promotion is
leading to the collection of data to be used for helmet promotion. But
_only_ for people on two-wheelers* - i.e. bicycles and motorcycles.

Yes, Frank, it's all part of the giant conspiracy out to enslave your head. Listen carefully . . . you can hear them whispering inside the walls.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 9th 15, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/9/2015 2:00 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Yes, Frank, it's all part of the giant conspiracy out to enslave your head. Listen carefully . . . you can hear them whispering inside the walls.

Those commies in the ER are not asking gunshot victims whether or not
they were wearing a helmet, only cyclists, skiers, snowboarders,
motorcyclists, etc. How dare the Epic system not be programmed to ask
irrelevant questions. Frank should start a website to complain about this.

Radial Spoking Pattern? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 13 October 18th 12 02:16 AM
Tied and--er . . . [email protected] Techniques 2 January 23rd 11 03:23 PM
tied for Bronze --D-y Racing 4 October 5th 10 12:21 PM
spoking a bike rim [email protected] Techniques 5 May 8th 07 03:35 AM
WalMart Spoking! [email protected] Techniques 9 February 24th 05 09:55 PM