adjust cone and locknut on front-wheel axle

Old March 3rd 15, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default adjust cone and locknut on front-wheel axle

When I set out to re-fat the balls in the front-wheel
hub I noticed that the screw-nut on one side of the
fork hang by just a few threads, and the reason was
all the part were shifted to that side on the axle. I
suppose this is simply a mistake from the previous
bike owner as what I can see everything and all pieces
are symmetrical (or could be) and there is no need to
shift it one way or another. However when I tried to
get the cone and locknut to move sideways they were
stuck bad. The other pair on the other hand was very
loose. Whenever I grabbed the loose pair the whole
axle started to spin. I tried to hold it with a
polygrip and then a pipe wrench but it still spun when
I applied force to move the stuck pair of pieces on
the axle. Is there a method to do this?

--
underground experts united
Old March 3rd 15, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 03/03/15 12:43, Emanuel Berg wrote:
When I set out to re-fat the balls in the front-wheel
hub I noticed that the screw-nut on one side of the
fork hang by just a few threads, and the reason was
all the part were shifted to that side on the axle. I
suppose this is simply a mistake from the previous
bike owner as what I can see everything and all pieces
are symmetrical (or could be) and there is no need to
shift it one way or another. However when I tried to
get the cone and locknut to move sideways they were
stuck bad. The other pair on the other hand was very
loose. Whenever I grabbed the loose pair the whole
axle started to spin. I tried to hold it with a
polygrip and then a pipe wrench but it still spun when
I applied force to move the stuck pair of pieces on
the axle. Is there a method to do this?

Do you have a cone spanner? This is a thin steel open ended spanner
that fits the flats on the cone. The flats are likely 13, 14, 15 or
16mm across. The set of cone spanners I have, has a pair of 13/14mm and
another pair of 15/16mm spanners.

Hold the cone with the cone spanner and undo the lock nut with another
open or ring spanner.

(spanner == wrench).

Pipe wrenches and the like are best avoided.

You may grip the lock nut in the jaws of a bench mounted vice and only
then need to turn the cone spanner.

--
JS
Old March 3rd 15, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/2/2015 9:43 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
When I set out to re-fat the balls in the front-wheel
hub I noticed that the screw-nut on one side of the
fork hang by just a few threads, and the reason was
all the part were shifted to that side on the axle. I
suppose this is simply a mistake from the previous
bike owner as what I can see everything and all pieces
are symmetrical (or could be) and there is no need to
shift it one way or another. However when I tried to
get the cone and locknut to move sideways they were
stuck bad. The other pair on the other hand was very
loose. Whenever I grabbed the loose pair the whole
axle started to spin. I tried to hold it with a
polygrip and then a pipe wrench but it still spun when
I applied force to move the stuck pair of pieces on
the axle. Is there a method to do this?

I'm not positive I'm visualizing your problem exactly, but:

A handy way of turning a threaded piece that (like an axle) has no bolt
head or screwdriver slot, etc. is to thread on two nuts then jam them
together. You do the jamming by turning one counterclockwise, the other
clockwise, until the meet and lock. Then a standard wrench will be able
to twist the whole assembly. This is how studs are threaded into blind
holes in engine blocks, for example.

Indeed, this is how the cone is (usually) held in place on the axle. A
thin lock nut is jammed against the cone on the axle, locking both in
position. Cone wrenches, as described by James, fit the thin flats on
the cone. Any standard wrench will fit the lock nut. To loosen the
cone and lock nut, you twist the lock nut counterclockwise, the cone
clockwise; i.e., opposite directions. They should separate and be loose
on the axle.

So, depending on the details of your situation, you may need to buy a
cone wrench and use it to help separate the lock nut and cone on one
side. Or perhaps less likely, you may need to jam two nuts together on
the axle, then use them to twist the axle the way you need it to go.
I'd bet on the former situation.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 3rd 15, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/2/2015 8:43 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
When I set out to re-fat the balls in the front-wheel
hub I noticed that the screw-nut on one side of the
fork hang by just a few threads, and the reason was
all the part were shifted to that side on the axle. I
suppose this is simply a mistake from the previous
bike owner as what I can see everything and all pieces
are symmetrical (or could be) and there is no need to
shift it one way or another. However when I tried to
get the cone and locknut to move sideways they were
stuck bad. The other pair on the other hand was very
loose. Whenever I grabbed the loose pair the whole
axle started to spin. I tried to hold it with a
polygrip and then a pipe wrench but it still spun when
I applied force to move the stuck pair of pieces on
the axle. Is there a method to do this?

Remove the axle set and hold the center of the axle in a
vise. Hold the cone with a cone wrench and unscrew the
locknut. Clean all parts. Then inspect and/or clean up any
thread damage before installing the axle set.

And yes, it ought to be centered.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 3rd 15, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 9:39:59 PM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
When I set out to re-fat the balls in the front-wheel
hub I noticed that the screw-nut on one side of the
fork hang by just a few threads, and the reason was
all the part were shifted to that side on the axle. I
suppose this is simply a mistake from the previous
bike owner as what I can see everything and all pieces
are symmetrical (or could be) and there is no need to
shift it one way or another. However when I tried to
get the cone and locknut to move sideways they were
stuck bad. The other pair on the other hand was very
loose. Whenever I grabbed the loose pair the whole
axle started to spin. I tried to hold it with a
polygrip and then a pipe wrench but it still spun when
I applied force to move the stuck pair of pieces on
the axle. Is there a method to do this?

--
underground experts united

https://www.google.com/#q=craftsman+...s+torch+outfit

Bergoid is ripe for a dual carb Hudson....
Old March 3rd 15, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

AMuzi writes:

On 3/2/2015 8:43 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:

When I set out to re-fat the balls in the
front-wheel hub I noticed that the screw-nut on one
side of the fork hang by just a few threads, and
the reason was all the parts were shifted to that
side of the axle. I suppose this is simply a
mistake from the previous bike owner as what I can
see everything and all pieces are symmetrical (or
could be) and there is no need to shift them one
way or another. However when I tried to get the
cone and locknut to move sideways they were stuck
bad. The other pair on the other hand was very
loose. Whenever I grabbed the loose pair the whole
axle started to spin. I tried to hold it with a
polygrip and then a pipe wrench but it still spun
when I applied force to move the stuck pair of
pieces on the axle. Is there a method to do this?

Remove the axle set and hold the center of the axle
in a vise. Hold the cone with a cone wrench and
unscrew the locknut. Clean all parts. Then inspect
and/or clean up any thread damage before installing
the axle set.

And yes, it ought to be centered.

OK! James, Mr. Krygowski, and you all understood the
situation and gave the same piece of advice what I can
see. Cone wrench to hold the cone, spanner to hold the
locknut, then rotate opposite directions. Yes, I did
notice the jaws in the cone but my spanners were to
bulky to get there if the locknut blocked one way.
Otherwise they were 14 mm IIRC.

--
underground experts united
Old March 3rd 15, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"James" wrote in message
[...]

The old pipe wrenches that some people call a "monkey wrench" are good for
gripping small diameters if you close the handles/levers in the jaws of a
vice.

The jaws are saw-tooth cut, so it matters which way you intend to turn the
nut.

Generally speaking the more modern "water pump pliers" are not robust enough
for vice assisted gripping.

Old March 3rd 15, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Emanuel Berg" wrote in message
AMuzi writes:

[...]

Lock the 2 wheel nuts together on the other end of the axle, should be
plenty wide enough for the wrenches.

Pass the axle up through the jaws of the vice and clamp on the flats of the
first/top nut - that nut will tend to tighten by the torque you apply to
unscrew the locknut on the other end, you may find the lock nut and cone
stay locked together until the lock nut clears the end of the thread, but at
least you don't have to worry about the strength of a slim wrench to get on
the cone flats.

Old March 3rd 15, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

the assemblurs assembling your bike used LOCTITE on the component's threads....avoiding liability for your injury if the components...low grade tube sure...came loose.

Often disassembly requires heat from a torch as heat cooks locktite cawsing the thread filler's crumbling into a powder that will now lubricate disassembly.

Unthreading older assembly's asks for vigorous wire brushing, possibly running a razor blade point into the thread disappearing into the nut, soaking with PC blaster...Blaster is applied with an artist's paint brush (Walmart crafts) not sprayed with the can. Then heat till the nut smokes and twist off.

Some assemblies are sold and oiled out that the locktite is contaminated with oil. wrenches right off.

Usually on an assembly owned by another party.
Old March 4th 15, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/3/2015 4:35 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"James" wrote in message
[...]

For those sorts of jobs, I use locking pliers or Vise Grips. I think
Brits call them Mole Grips.

--
- Frank Krygowski