understanding the rear sprocket

Old March 31st 15, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default understanding the rear sprocket

On 3/30/2015 9:45 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
James writes:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access
/~embe8573/bike/sprocket/assembled.jpg on
this server.

Thanks - now it should work.

The link does, thanks.

Regarding coaster brake hubs: Back when those were on every kid's bikeI
think disassembly and reassembly of those things used to mark a
milestone in a kid's mechanical education. It makes a nice little
puzzle, with not too many parts, and it comes apart with common tools.
And there's real satisfaction when it all works again.

Now that kids get derailleur bikes starting at age 8 or so, I wonder
what device serves as the new milestone. Is there anything?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 31st 15, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

James writes:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access
/~embe8573/bike/sprocket/assembled.jpg on
this server.

Thanks - now it should work.

The link does, thanks.

Regarding coaster brake hubs: Back when those were on every
kid's bikeI think disassembly and reassembly of those things
used to mark a milestone in a kid's mechanical education.
It makes a nice little puzzle, with not too many parts, and
it comes apart with common tools. And there's real
satisfaction when it all works again.

Now that kids get derailleur bikes starting at age 8 or so,
I wonder what device serves as the new milestone. Is there
anything?

That breakthrough moment when a child bypasses his parents'
security blocks on the telephone.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 31st 15, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

James writes:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access
/~embe8573/bike/sprocket/assembled.jpg on
this server.

Thanks - now it should work.

The link does, thanks.

Regarding coaster brake hubs: Back when those were on every
kid's bikeI think disassembly and reassembly of those things
used to mark a milestone in a kid's mechanical education.
It makes a nice little puzzle, with not too many parts, and
it comes apart with common tools. And there's real
satisfaction when it all works again.

Now that kids get derailleur bikes starting at age 8 or so,
I wonder what device serves as the new milestone. Is there
anything?

That breakthrough moment when a child bypasses his parents' security
blocks on the telephone.

For my kid it was hacking into the 5th grade lan to get internet access for
online games.

Bike wise it was patching a tire at around 10. I don't think he's tackled
a derailleur yet but he has apps on his phone to walk him through it if he
needs too.

--
duane
Old March 31st 15, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel

Am 31.03.2015 um 04:26 schrieb Frank Krygowski:

Regarding coaster brake hubs: Back when those were on every kid's bikeI
think disassembly and reassembly of those things used to mark a
milestone in a kid's mechanical education. It makes a nice little
puzzle, with not too many parts, and it comes apart with common tools.
And there's real satisfaction when it all works again.

Now that kids get derailleur bikes starting at age 8 or so, I wonder
what device serves as the new milestone. Is there anything?

You mean things like build the LEGO Unimog at age 7 (only necessary help
from dad was to push the hydraulics tubes onto the connectors) or
program the LEGO robot at age 9?

Reparing stuff is just not interesting any more...

Old March 31st 15, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Rolf Mantel writes:

Now that kids get derailleur bikes starting at age
8 or so, I wonder what device serves as the new
milestone. Is there anything?

You mean things like build the LEGO Unimog at age 7
(only necessary help from dad was to push the
hydraulics tubes onto the connectors) or program the
LEGO robot at age 9?

That's nothing. I did that at the university when
I was around 30!

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/car/track/track.c

Reparing stuff is just not interesting any more...

Doing the sprocket was definitely interesting enough
for me because tho I was able to disassemble and
reassembly it alright, I didn't understand the
functions and thinking behind half them parts and
certainly no subtle details.

If no one tells me, I'll just assemble and disassemble
it once a day until part by part do its own talking

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old April 1st 15, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

James writes:

[...]

Alas, I must admit that Frank is right. Bright people can be repair idiots.. Yes, I'm talking about my own son -- who grew up in a house full of bikes and tools, and who I thought was listening when I taught him to fix a flat and adjust his derailleur. Apparently I was wrong -- at least based on my recent, long-distance attempts to guide him through some simple repair issues. Oh well, it gives me something to do when we go visit him at college.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 1st 15, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

James writes:

[...]

Beattie Jr know any good looking coeds needing cash /
Old April 10th 15, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

I must have done something wrong reassembling the
sprocket because tho the break and everything seems to
work at first glance I have now detected an unexpected
behavior which isn't always but often enough and that
is when I pedal sometimes there is no resistance for
perhaps a quarter (plus) of the full circle before
normal resistance kicks in and there is forward force.

So there is an unpleasant "leap", like falling through
a trap door.

Do you recognize this problem? Is it indeed related to
the sprocket?

Old April 10th 15, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

disassemble or assemble units with small parts over a white sheet

buy or find an old speaker with a magnet

do not use keys over a sewer grate

Old April 10th 15, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 10/04/15 10:22, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I must have done something wrong reassembling the
sprocket because tho the break and everything seems to
work at first glance I have now detected an unexpected
behavior which isn't always but often enough and that
is when I pedal sometimes there is no resistance for
perhaps a quarter (plus) of the full circle before
normal resistance kicks in and there is forward force.

So there is an unpleasant "leap", like falling through
a trap door.

Do you recognize this problem? Is it indeed related to
the sprocket?

Was there a ratchet mechanism that allowed the sprocket to free wheel?
Did you grease the ratchet? Sometimes grease or heavy oil can prevent
the pawls in a free wheel from engaging.

--
JS