"Leading with left shoulder while riding!

Old May 27th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default "Leading with left shoulder while riding!

Yesterday I rode Daytripper63's brand new KH 29er (with splined axle). I
felt like it rode a little funny, wanting to pull to one side or the
other, like riding on carpet. Very noticeable when riding on slanted
bits of trail. It was very noticeable at first, but after a mile or so
of riding it I felt less uncomfortable. I think the tire pressure was
okay, though I didn't change it. I don't know if it's the tire shape.
My tendency is to trust Kris on the choice of tire on any of his
unicycles.

But I only rode a mile or so, not enough to form a proper opinion or
nail down the problem (if any).

For Terry, I'd recommend starting with the advice of whoever said to
ride a different unicycle. Isolate whether it's the unicycle or you.

The problem is *not* necessarily just in your mind or riding technique.
It could also be orthopedic. But that's one of those things to be stuck
with, only after eliminating everything else. Backpack: Are you sure
the straps are equally adjusted? I usually have to adjust my Camelbak
straps a little on every ride, as they tend to loosen.

Are you holding the seat most of the time? If so, which hand is on the
seat? If that shoulder is leading I don't think it's a problem. But if
it constantly bugs you it is. If you don't normally hold the seat, try
it. Hold the seat for long periods. It might take a while to get used
to the idea, but it makes you more stable to the cycle, as well as
increasing your leverage. It may help you straighten out.

I highly doubt the side-to-side angle of your seat has anything to do
with this. A crooked seat is more likely to just make you sore on one
side more than the other. But let us know if it works!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

Old May 27th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

why does it matter??
and this happens to me after I do spins, but only then and all I have
to do to fix it is hop-180 out of it or spin 180 out of it

--
skrobo

* Unicycle For Christ PM me if you would like to
join!!!*

skianduniaddict wrote:
im to hard core to use my elbows i either use my head or the mouse
swungs as a whip

yeah buddy thats right ... uni 4 christ
-stephen skrobarczyk- cctx
skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272

Old May 27th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I 'lead' with my right shoulder. I find it especially annoying when I'm
riding on the prom - which slopes pretty badly towards the sea but is
essentially smooth concrete. It's not so bad on the pavement which
hasn't got so much of a slope and is extremely bumpy.

Cathy

--
cathwood

Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old May 27th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

cathwood wrote:
I 'lead' with my right shoulder. I find it especially annoying when I'm
riding on the prom - which slopes pretty badly towards the sea but is
essentially smooth concrete. It's not so bad on the pavement which
hasn't got so much of a slope and is extremely bumpy.

Cathy

If you ride in the other direction, do you still lead with your right
shoulder? Does the direction of slope (left or right) determine which
shoulder you lead with?

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

Old May 27th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Wheel Rider wrote:
If you ride in the other direction, do you still lead with your right
shoulder? Does the direction of slope (left or right) determine which
shoulder you lead with?

I usually ride in the same direction because that way the wind is
behind me. It is a fierce wind along the Prestatyn prom. However, if
memory serves, going in the other direction I don't lead with either
shoulder. I never lead with my left shoulder. Another thing that
happens at the leaning times is that my right knee (which is quiet fat)
gets rubbed by the tyre. So I must be slightly twisted.

Interestingly (or at least I think so), when I rode 12 miles (which is
my longest ride so far but hopefully not for long) along a slightly
bumpy offroad track with Zippy, I didn't twist at all. Right at the
end, when I was quite tired, my shoulder did lead a little bit, but not
much. I was wearing shorts and my knee did not get rubbed by the tyre
at all. On this ride I was making a concious effort not to twist
because my shoulders sometimes get tense and ache when this happens. I
didn't want 12 miles worth of aching shoulders. But I think the biggest
factor was that there was no slope.

Cathy

Old May 29th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I used to lead with one shoulder--I don't remember which one. Learn to
ride holding the saddle handle with one hand. Then do the same with
the other hand. And finally learn to ride while holding on with both
hands. My upper body is in three different positions for each of
those, so I've learned to lead with either shoulder, neither, or
somewhere in between. It's very useful for muni.

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382