"listing" I found out why! (in my case anyway)

Old June 17th 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Default "listing" I found out why! (in my case anyway)

boo radley wrote:
So did you try flipping the wheel around as others suggested to find out
whether it's the frame or the wheel? If it's the wheel, you should fix
that instead of shimming the frame.

Yeah I did flip it but now I can't remember if the problem was still on
the same side or reversed! Old age creeping in I guess!

I'll flip it again in the morning and hopefully be able to determine if
it's the rim or the frame. Thanks all!

--
MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 17th 07, 06:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

It's the frame!!! I flipped the wheel and the problem *remained* on the
same side! That was my guess, especially given the fact that Amy from
UDC told me that the radial frame might have to be widened a bit to fit
the super wide hub! So Since the frame is askew I'm hoping UDC will
either replace it or straighten it. In the meantime I guess I'll just
have to shim it again.

Old June 17th 07, 07:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Evan Byrne

Stop freaking out over a slightly off set frame. Darren (bedford) ships
his frames with shims to correct these slight imperfections in frames
if there happen to be some. Shim it and ride it like that, its no big
deal. Its easiest to use part of an old poped innertube, Cut a sliver
or two out of that. Making udc fix the frame will only be a waste of
time.

--
Evan Byrne
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 17th 07, 07:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Evan Byrne wrote:
Stop freaking out over a slightly off set frame. Darren (bedford) ships
his frames with shims to correct these slight imperfections in frames
if there happen to be some. Shim it and ride it like that, its no big
deal. Its easiest to use part of an old poped innertube, Cut a sliver
or two out of that. Making udc fix the frame will only be a waste of
time.

Haha I'm not freaking out at all; just the opposite. I'm
actually very happy that it *wasn't* the wheel! I just went ahead and
shimmed it again, like I had for today's ride, and it's very close to
perfectly centered. And yeah, I decided I would rather shim it then
send it back and be without my 36er!

Old June 17th 07, 08:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gerblefranklin

Psh, my muni frame is so far gone that it rubs the tire. And that's with
about six shims. I can ride straight enough to do handrails. It's never
bothered me in regards to balance (hill climbing's another story)

Soda (or beer) cans have almost exactly 0.005" thickness in the flat
walls. The base and top are thicker. For scale, the average human hair
is only 0.002". So six shims isn't that much (namely 0.030"). My muni
is getting to the point where I can put up to 8 shims in there to get
it straight. But that's just the frame's way of saying it's worn out
and needs to be replaced.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 17th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TheObieOne3226

I agree with the above posters who are reluctant to think that was the
cause of your "listing." I would also agree with the term "freaking
out" since you have contacted unicycle.com about what is a very common
(non) problem. I would say 75% of all the unicycles I have closely
looked at have been off center, some as much as a quarter inch. It can
be caused by any number of different things including:

Frame legs not equal length
Wheel dished incorrectly
Tire not properly seated
Spoke holes offset
Bearing clamps tightened incorrectly
Frame legs twisted or otherwise not aligned

Also, the fact that you are riding without the list now proves nothing.
I have had the listing problem a number of times (usually when I
haven't rode for a while or when on an unfamiliar unicycle) and every
time it goes away with time in the saddle and nothing else. Theres also
the possibility that the shims had a placebo effect making you think
the uni is correct and causing you to ride differently.

--
TheObieOne3226

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

\"obie is definately a trend setter, i got in to unicycling because of
him, and came here because of him\" - kj-52

\"try not to annoy the great obie, for he is better than us.\" - murde
mental

*disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if
you are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i
don't feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where
not everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 17th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chexjc

TheObieOne3226 wrote:
Also, the fact that you are riding without the list now proves nothing.

Yea, I still feel like its all a placebo effect. You were initially
listing because you were getting used to a new and different unicycle.
Then you pinpointed the problem as the offset wheel. Which comforted
you in knowing the "cause of the problem." After you felt that you had
fixed the problem, you stopped "listing." Sounds like hysteria to me.

Like I said before, my wheel was offset when I got it, but I didn't
have any problems. I just happened to notice one day but ignored it. My
trials wheel is also offset and I can't tell when I'm riding.

I wouldn't say you're "freaking-out" though lol. You're just slightly
annoyed that you bought something brand new and it's not perfect. It's
no big deal though.

--
Chexjc

www.myspace.com/thelostguitarist
AIM: Guitardude88
Check out my videos!
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JasonCheckla
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 17th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

I really don't think its an issue. An imperfection that small shouldn't
cause listing. If you look at Ken Looi's super diet coker you will see
his frame is way off center and he has no problems. My trials wheel is
off center and I have no problem (but I guess its a bit different than
a coker). Just experiment with air pressure. Almost everyone that just
bought a bigger wheel has had problems with listing when they first
bought it. Whether or not they have ridden a different big wheel
before. You just need to break it in some.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 17th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Bottom line is, I'm not "listing" anymore. And just to clarify again, In
the past month I've ridded 4 different cokers, and a 29er cumitively
more than 80 miles, on the very same bike path, and hadn't experienced
any listing whatsoever.

But along comes my new coker, and on the very same bike path I
*immediately* start feeling the pull to the right and find myself
fighting mightily to stay on a straight line!

Then with advice I troubleshoot the possibilties, but no success
*until* finally shimming the frame which centers the wheel. (Yes, it
was way off) Instantly fixes the problem. Placebo? Maybe, but I doubt
it. (Thanks Munivision for the shimming advice!)

To me it's logical to assume that if your wheel is off-center, (in my
case by a large margin) that it *could* very well cause you to _RIDE_
off-center!

Old June 19th 07, 11:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

Hey,

rather than shimming it, it might be possible to fix by just re-bending
the frame slightly. It's a steel frame right? If one side is bent out
more than the other side, it'll cause things like this to happen too.

I think you might be able to tell if the frame is straight by using a
plumbline to measure distance to either side of the frame from the
centre line.

Joe

--
joemarshall