"listing" I found out why! (in my case anyway)

Old June 19th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pdc

Default "listing" I found out why! (in my case anyway)

It's what you'd expect from those cheap frames, especially a 36". I'd
be "freaking out" if my Hunter frame came that way. Just bend the
frame. UDC UK has a tutorial on how to bend your cheap bent or mishapen
frame straight.

--
pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 19th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Interesting post. The real issue is where you sit relative to the
contact patch of the tire (where the rubber meets the road).

Ideally, the tire should be aligned perfectly vertical, along an
imaginary line extending up through your spine. Then you will not need
any steering correction to go straight ahead.

But if the frame is not squared up, this is not possible, and a
steering correction (in the form of "listing") is required. In order to
sit directly over the contact patch on a non-aligned frame, you use
your hips to shove the frame left or right. Hence the listing to the
left or right, as the case may be.

The solution is to locate the center of the saddle over the contact
patch.
Thus, shimming the bearing holder helps to center the wheel in line
with the seatpost (assuming your seat tube is straight). Or bending
the frame. Whatever it takes to reposition the saddle so that you will
sit directly over the contact patch of the tire, relative to the
vertical line of the wheel. (I need to make some drawings here)

The problem is caused by imperfect frames, and/or wheels built so that
the rim is not centered laterally on the hub. A common malady.

--
unisk8r
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 19th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

joemarshall wrote:
Hey,

rather than shimming it, it might be possible to fix by just re-bending
the frame slightly. It's a steel frame right? If one side is bent out
more than the other side, it'll cause things like this to happen too.

I think you might be able to tell if the frame is straight by using a
plumbline to measure distance to either side of the frame from the
centre line.

Joe

Well the way it is now, it drops right onto the bearings pretty well, so
I would wory that bending the frame might affect that fit. I'll
probably just leave it the way it is since the shimmimg seems to have
worked so well. Thanks!

--
MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 19th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

pdc wrote:
It's what you'd expect from those cheap frames, especially a 36". I'd
be "freaking out" if my Hunter frame came that way. Just bend the
frame. UDC UK has a tutorial on how to bend your cheap bent or mishapen
frame straight.

Haha since the shimming worked so well, I now *love* my "cheap"
frame! Looks great too with he awesome [cheap] paint job,
yeah!

Old June 22nd 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Keldridge

Hrmmm... gonna risk posting in this thread instead of starting my own...
At least no one will say to use the search feature... Maybe.. or..
maybe not...

I am having trouble listing as well on my Torker DX. When I first got
it... I didn't have the problems, but now I do. Its been rather
annoying. Its better when I ride on the right hand side of the road.
Its also better when I sit up straighter, or when I am going down a
moderate or more grade.

So I checked the wheel, to see if I was off center like Terry's was.
It looked ok... but it was a bit wobbly... So... I took it in to have
the wheel trued.

Now... its a lot straighter, but I still list. My wheel still looks
centered.

The only issue I see with my uni is that one of the little reflecters
broke off of one of my pedals. This couldn't be the cause of my
problem, could it?

Should I just shim it up, knowing I might be moving the wheel off
center to keep the uni going straight? Anything else to check...?

Thanks!

-Keld

--
Keldridge
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 22nd 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Keldridge wrote:
[...]

One thing that helped me with muni listing was that I was carrying an
*unbalanced* cargo in my backpack. Once I centered it, the pulling
dissapeared! I also periodically rotate the tire and cranks to keep
everything wearing as evenly as possible. Also, I used to pedal with my
right foot closer to the crank (rubbing on it) than my left. Now I
consciously make certain that both feet are evenly centered.

Old June 22nd 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Keldridge

Yeah... I tried different pedal positions...

I went on a longish ride recently and was carrying an extra bag on my
shoulder for someone else. I tried it on the left side or the right
side... It was probably 8 or 10 pounds.

Neither of these have helped...

Hrmmm... One other thing I can think of. I was getting tons of flat
tires... Like 3 in a week. (Gotta love Nevada goatheads...) So, after
searching here, I cut one of my dead tubes and put it around a new
heavy duty thorn resistant slime filled thing. (man is my wheel heavy)

I haven't gotten a flat since... but maybe the extra tube is off
center? I'll try taking it out tonite...

Keld

--
Keldridge
http://www.usenet.com