Near Miss of the Day 548: Driver makes exemplary overtake ... butalmost takes out penny-farthing rider coming in opposite direction

Old February 23rd 21, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Near Miss of the Day 548: Driver makes exemplary overtake ... butalmost takes out penny-farthing rider coming in opposite direction

This is no ordinary near miss, this is a ... oh hang on, forget Marks & Spencer, this is an 'ordinary' near miss, that word being the one by which the bicycles we now refer to as penny-farthings were once known.

And it's one you have to have a bit of respect for, however grudgingly; a driver makes an exemplary overtake on some cyclists, giving them plenty of room ... but in doing so goes so far over onto the other side of the road that they almost hit the penny-farthing rider coming in the other direction.

Having come off my bike a couple of times in the past couple of weeks, the first of those knowing well in advance it would happen as I encountered some black ice ... well, I'm just glad I wasn't having to find an emergency bale-out option from that height.

The clip, filmed in Bowdon, Greater Manchester on Sunday, was sent in by road.cc reader Bob, who said: "The car that overtook gave us plenty of space, but not so the rider of the Penny Farthing who was going the other way!"

This isn't the first time (link is external) we've used the Marks & Spencer ad's strapline in this series, of course ... we did so in the very early days, and more accurately reflecting the actual wording of the ads, but we just could not resist the pun on this occasion.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...edition-281157