Follow the Science?

Old February 1st 21, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Follow the Science?

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 15:30:22 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

So you really do find it painful to be nothing more than a
college teacher retired and without a single thing that you
can point to and say. "I did this"? That should not be too
surprising seeing as how you seem to think that you can
ride a bicycle.

Are you perhaps a believer in "publish or perish"? That's where those
who believe in "I did this" congregate. Teaching students, answering
their questions, directing their studies, and correcting their errors
is only of secondary importance behind making the college look
"productive" by performing research, publishing papers, writing books,
and attracting grants and donations. Is this the criteria by which
you judge teachers? If so, you're asking the wrong question. You
should point to your college teachers and ask "Why did you do this to
me"?

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old February 1st 21, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

So you really do find it painful to be nothing more than a
college teacher retired and without a single thing that you
can point to and say. "I did this"? That should not be too
surprising seeing as how you seem to think that you can
ride a bicycle.

Are you perhaps a believer in "publish or perish"? That's where those
who believe in "I did this" congregate. Teaching students, answering
their questions, directing their studies, and correcting their errors
is only of secondary importance behind making the college look
"productive" by performing research, publishing papers, writing books,
and attracting grants and donations. Is this the criteria by which
you judge teachers? If so, you're asking the wrong question. You
should point to your college teachers and ask "Why did you do this to
me"?

"Your collage teachers"?
Tom never finished high school.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 1st 21, 06:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

[...]

Oh. I didn't know that. Even so, I don't have a problem with the
lack of a diploma. I worked for a chief engineer, and later worked
with another engineer, both of whom never graduated from college. Many
notables have done quite well without a diploma:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_autodidacts
It would be nice if Tom knew something about college and college
educators, but I don't think it's really necessary. After all, most
of us free criticize politicians and officials, without ever having
been one. However, if college instructors didn't create Tom's
illusions of reality, who did? The military? Employers? Co-workers?
Methinks not. I'm beginning to suspect he did it to himself.

Old February 1st 21, 08:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, January 31, 2021 at 4:05:52 PM UTC-8, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
On 1/31/2021 1:30 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/31/2021 12:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:

MDs are merely human, no more no less:

https://zukus.net/2021/01/31/st-pete...ews-headlines/

It's bad to overgeneralize. MDs are highly educated and
trained in medicine, much more so than typical humans. Do
they make mistakes? Yes, occasionally - but I still wouldn't
want to pick a random human off the street to diagnose and
treat my heart attack.

One might say "Bike mechanics are human, no more no less."
But despite the mistakes I've seen them make, I'd say they
are on average more competent at bike repair than most
people - even most MDs.

Division of labor makes sense. It's a fundamental component
of civilization.

(And I'm far too conservative to pretend we are all equal in
intelligence, training and skill.)

I agree with you.

Ditto for licensed professional engineers:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/01/...sbay-terminal/

Yup. Sometimes you’re so focused on ensuring that A doesn’t happen that you
miss B just sauntering by you. Sometimes the corporate emphasis is on “Fill
in the form”, instead of “Ensure that the bad thing the form is meant to
catch is caught.” And sometimes **** just goes down that you never thought
could ever happen.

Being an engineer in a company where you still have some responsibility for
the asset decades after you’ve designed it works really well to keep your
ego in check.

This is why I'm so fond of statutes of limitation and repose.

-- Jay Beattie.

I’m a big fan of statutes of limitations and E&O insurance for the simple
fact that without it, an engineering (or law) career simply exposes you to
too much cumulative risk over a lifetime. As I say to new engineers, “Back
in school, if you got 86% of things right, they give you an A. Here, if you
only get 86% of things right, they fire you.” Even if you’re batting 990,
over a 30+ year career, that’s a lot of missed.

However, I’m grateful for the opportunity to SEE my stuff go wrong, so that
I can do the next job a little bit better.

Old February 1st 21, 08:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I don't think it was the military. His stories of flying B-52 combat
missions and creeping around in a bombay is patently false. He even
claimed to have served in two bomb wings that never existed.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 1st 21, 11:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 09:52:31 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich wrote:

A corona virus is small, on the order of between 50 to 200
nanometers depending on the specific type. This would be
extremely difficult to mechanically filter from the air
under the best possible conditions and a cloth mask is
not a good condition.

Microfleece masks were even shown to break down the sizes of exhaled
droplets and allow them to travel farther.

N95 masks do mechanical filtering of larger particles, such as
aerosols and water droplets. However, at the virus level, they filter
using the electrostatic charge present in an electret formed from the
polypropylene mesh layer.

On a reality level, lawyer politician-tyrants force the general public to
buy and wear N95/FFP2 masks on rainy supermarket parking lots (doubling as
bike parking,) as well as on unroofed, desolate bus or train stops. The
safest way to introduce their twisted minds to the concepts of electrostatic
charge, and of current, is to have them take a seat on the electric chair.

"Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting
Different Results"
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/03/23/same/

If you aren't referring to lockdowns, you must be referring to Americans
trusting voting machines for 3 1/2 years before elections.

--
"I mount my winter tires early, it has positively kept away icy weather."
Old February 1st 21, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Did you just not mention their control group, Tom, or didn't they have one? Why did they assume air flows only in straight lines? If they didn't, what steps did they take to ensure the air, which they assumed was contaminated, did not flow around the edge of the mask? Surely the proper way to do this experiment is with the contaminated animals in one room, the control group in another room, zero crossflow, and the test group in another room, zero connection except through the mask set into the partition. Hell, if the experimenters were poor, they could set this up in three cardboard boxes sealed with brown packing tape, of a size big enough to let the lovely little hammies breathe for long enough.
..
Andre Jute
Homeopathy. It's gotta be the coming thing in the faithful new age of Scientism, brought to you by the Prophet Elron (both puns intended) when proof will be the shortest route to the hangman's rope.

On Sunday, January 31, 2021 at 5:52:33 PM UTC, wrote:
One of the odd things is to discover that MD's don't necessarily understand what science is and they are following rumor and myth. They ran a rather silly test in which they had adjoining cages of hamsters with one group infected with SARS-Cov-2 and the others not. They measured the percentage of non-infected hamsters that became infected. Then they place the material that masks are made of between another set of cages and measured the numbers of hamsters that subsequently became infected. Since a smaller number of hamsters because infected in the second case they presented this as "science" proving that masks work.

Well, this was a rather ridiculous idea to begin with so why didn't they actually think about what they were doing? This experiment worked for the simple reason that the material reduced the flow of air between the cages or forces a more indirect route. This is absolutely nothing like the case of a person wearing a mask who has pressurized transfer of air both in and out..

So exactly where was this science they were following?

I have talked about how doctors in general are brighter than most of these so-called scientists designing and running tests like this, but they too can become propagandized into believing that a mask can have some sort of effect. We have that fool Fauci standing before a camera and saying that it would be advisable to wear two masks in tandem.

A corona virus is small, on the order of between 50 to 200 nanometers depending on the specific type. This would be extremely difficult to mechanically filter from the air under the best possible conditions and a cloth mask is not a good condition.

While the mask proponents cry otherwise the facts are that the growth of covid-19 across the globe between those that wear masks and those who haven't are virtually identical with population density being more informative than any other measures. So let's not cry about "following the science" as a man told me yesterday.

Old February 1st 21, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

So you really do find it painful to be nothing more than a
college teacher retired and without a single thing that you
can point to and say. "I did this"? That should not be too
surprising seeing as how you seem to think that you can
ride a bicycle.

Are you perhaps a believer in "publish or perish"? That's where those
who believe in "I did this" congregate. Teaching students, answering
their questions, directing their studies, and correcting their errors
is only of secondary importance behind making the college look
"productive" by performing research, publishing papers, writing books,
and attracting grants and donations. Is this the criteria by which
you judge teachers? If so, you're asking the wrong question. You
should point to your college teachers and ask "Why did you do this to
me"?

Frank became a teacher because he couldn't find a real job. That is where most college professors come from. When you have knowledge you can find a place to use that is productive.
Old February 1st 21, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Well, that never seemed to bother the Livermore and Berkeley Laboratories or NASA. People that have the knowledge are welcome anywhere. So, I see that you're in Thailand. I guess that shows that the only thing they wanted was your retirement funds.
Old February 1st 21, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I served at Larson AFB and March AFB. If I can't remember what wings those were that is just tough ****. Just because you can't stand being a nobody that has never made it above janitor and has to brag that he was the head janitor isn't my fault. Tell everyone here what the responsibilities of a crew chief were.

follow the money Mike Jacoubowsky Racing 32 December 6th 07 02:24 AM
Follow-up to Yeeesssss! Matt B UK 0 May 17th 07 04:38 PM
Bad Name follow-up Martin Bulmer UK 7 May 27th 06 01:41 PM
Follow me Roos Eisma UK 2 September 12th 05 08:30 PM
Follow-up to "Out Tonight" Centurian_Ooo'yabass UK 5 May 20th 04 08:20 AM