Rides in Spain - Nerja

Old February 11th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
GarryJones

Default Rides in Spain - Nerja

I am about to visit Spain to do some road cycling with a group of
friends. We are flying to Malaga and we will be staying in Nerja. We
have seen some maps and some pictures but its difficult to plan routes
not knowing the gradients.

Does anyone have any good advice or maybe a link with some cross
sections of the hills? We aim to do about 6-8 hours a day, so we will
be averaging about 30km/h. As we have an appartment in Nerja we will
not be staying anywhere else. However, we are renting a minibus for
the trip.

Garry Jones
English Cyclist ResIDING in Sweden

Old February 12th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
dorkypants

Not exactly an answer, but have you tried using Google Earth to get a
3D view of the surrounding area? It seems to be covered in reasonably
high detail. You can exaggerate the vertical scale up to 3X to
visually emphasize the climbs.

My only recollection of the area is riding from Almuñecar (named Sexi
by Phoenicians, but not the least bit sexy) to Nérja on the coastal
highway. We went through a couple of pitch-black tunnels with storm
grates positioned just-so to catch bicycle tyres, while not-
particularly-bicycle-friendly Spanish motorists whizzed by. It was
nerve-wracking.

www.salite.ch may also have profiles of climbs in the area (the site
is entirely in Italian).

Old February 12th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
GarryJones

www.salite.ch may also have profiles of climbs in the area (the site
is entirely in Italian).

Thanks, great link. It has French German, English and Spanish variants
so maybe its been updated since you were last there. No matter, great
link!

Old February 13th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
dorkypants

On Feb 12, 7:56 am, "GarryJones" wrote:
www.salite.chmay also have profiles of climbs in the area (the site
is entirely in Italian).

Thanks, great link. It has French German, English and Spanish variants
so maybe its been updated since you were last there. No matter, great
link!

Shows what blind spots one can develop! I'm so used to the site being
in Italian (I read it well enough) that I didn't even notice the 4
national flags up top for the other language choices.

More Rain In Spain B. Lafferty Racing 29 November 23rd 05 08:29 AM
Tour Of Spain Tony Australia 6 September 22nd 04 04:43 AM
Tour of Spain flyingdutch Australia 3 September 12th 04 06:14 AM
Tour of Spain flyingdutch Australia 3 September 9th 04 05:02 AM
MTB Info: Spain Pipex Newsgroups-Text UK 3 March 8th 04 08:20 AM