What rim to build for 32h Campy wheel set?

Old May 18th 04, 11:26 PM
Craig Young

Default What rim to build for 32h Campy wheel set?

And no, I do not plan on using either MA3's or Open Pro's. What I am
looking to build is a good set of wheels on a set of 32 hole 1999 Record
9-speed hubs I have laying around. I am a recreational rider, and almost
always ride alone. I would use these wheels to complement a set of
tubulars (Chorus hubs, DT Revs 3x front, Revs non-drive side rear,
14/15/14 drive side rear, all 3x, Campy Omega Strada Hardox V tubular
rims, 36 hole). I did several searches, but have not found anything
convincing either way for / against a set of more aero wheels versus a
lightweight wheel set. I am looking for something I can build fairly
inexpensively, so that pretty much rules out the Zipp carbon aero rims, etc.

Rims I have considered are Velocity Aeroheads and Deep Vs, Ritchey Aero
Pro, Ambrosio Excellence, and Ambrosio Focus. So, does anybody have a
rim / spoke recommendation? Thanks.
Old May 19th 04, 02:37 AM
Alan

Go for the Velocity Aerohead OC rims. The back is offset just enough to
even out the spoke tension on both sides. The price is right and you can
select your color. I went for standard wheelsmith db 14/15/14 spokes and
the wheel is great.

. ..

Old May 19th 04, 03:39 AM
LAN Support

Aeroheads work for me. Also available with offset spoke holes for the rear
wheel.

I built mine onto Record hubs using Sapim CX-Ray spokes.

I had two of the Ritchey OCR rear rims crack at the spoke holes after a few
months of use, and was told when I returned them to the bike shop that this
was a known problem with them. Wouldn't recommend them.

Nick

Old May 19th 04, 03:46 AM
Tom Paterson

From: Craig Young

What I am
looking to build is a good set of wheels on a set of 32 hole 1999 Record
9-speed hubs I have laying around. I am a recreational rider, and almost
always ride alone. I would use these wheels to complement a set of
tubulars (Chorus hubs, DT Revs 3x front, Revs non-drive side rear,
14/15/14 drive side rear, all 3x, Campy Omega Strada Hardox V tubular
rims, 36 hole). I did several searches, but have not found anything
convincing either way for / against a set of more aero wheels versus a
lightweight wheel set.

Get rims that have very close to the same brake path orientation as your
tubies. As the brake pads wear, you'll continue to have similar (it is to be
hoped) smooth braking from whatever wheel is in the bike.

This link shows a Campy clincher "V" rim:

http://www.bikepro.com/products/rims/campy.html

That might be a close match to what you have. Easy to see that a pad adjusted
and/or worn to this style rim wouldn't fit a box section rim sidewall very
well. This produces braking that is difficult to modulate in emergency
situations.

Over and over, the experts who post here recommend 3x butted (14-15g) spokes,
brass nipples. Pertinent to these "utility" wheels complimenting your tubies.

"Weight", "aero" are secondary at best, especially for a mostly solo rider.
--TP
Old May 19th 04, 11:45 AM
Bruce Frech

I prefer the Sun Venus rims for their semi-aero shape and moderate weight
and price.
440grams, 25mm tall, 18.5mm wide

see http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/rims.html

Bruce