Less Expensive Campy Compatible Rear Hubs

Old May 21st 04, 04:12 AM
bigsky

Default Less Expensive Campy Compatible Rear Hubs

I am looking to upgrade my bike with Campagnolo Centaur but I want to
build the wheels myself. I would like to know if there are other less
expensive options than Chris King or Phil Wood that might allow radial
spokes (Campy doesn't). I thought Ritchey would be good but it seems
the only one they sell is 20 spoke version. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.
Thanks,
bigsky

Old May 21st 04, 01:49 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

bigsky- I am looking to upgrade my bike with Campagnolo Centaur but I want to

build the wheels myself. I would like to know if there are other less
expensive options than Chris King or Phil Wood that might allow radial
spokes (Campy doesn't). BRBR

I won't be the only one to ask-"why radial'? Does nothing to help the
performance or durability of the wheel. Use Centaur, build normally, go ride.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old May 21st 04, 02:50 PM
Paul Kopit

On Fri, 21 May 2004 03:12:58 GMT, bigsky
wrote:

I am looking to upgrade my bike with Campagnolo Centaur but I want to
build the wheels myself.

I wouldn't want radial lacing. If I did, I'd use the Campy hub
anyway. The drive side is not radial, the NDS doesn't have that high
tension and the fronts don't get any torque. Other than crazy light,
aluminum flange on Nukeproof hub, I haven't pulled spoke holes out
yet.

Old May 21st 04, 05:17 PM
Russell Seaton

bigsky wrote in message thlink.net...
I am looking to upgrade my bike with Campagnolo Centaur but I want to
build the wheels myself. I would like to know if there are other less
expensive options than Chris King or Phil Wood that might allow radial
spokes (Campy doesn't). I thought Ritchey would be good but it seems
the only one they sell is 20 spoke version. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.
Thanks,
bigsky

You are talking about upgrading to Campagnolo Centaur? This is not an
upgrade unless you are starting with Xenon. In case you are
wondering, I have a Centaur equipped bike. And a Chorus equipped
bike. Centaur is fine and works fine. But its not an upgrade level.
Its a works fine and no complaints level of components. Chorus or
Record are upgrade levels.

You're mentioning Taiwanese made Ritchey in the same paragraph as
Campagnolo?

I think you should just buy the Centaur grouppo. Put in on your bike
and ride. Don't buy 3-4-5 times as much boutique components.

Old May 21st 04, 06:39 PM
Sheldon Brown

bigsky wrote:

I am looking to upgrade my bike with Campagnolo Centaur but I want to
build the wheels myself. I would like to know if there are other less
expensive options than Chris King or Phil Wood that might allow radial
spokes (Campy doesn't). I thought Ritchey would be good but it seems
the only one they sell is 20 spoke version. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

I assume you're speaking of half-radial spoking, radial on the left.
This is not a real-world risk with any decent quality hub, because the
left side spoke tension is so low (if it isn't this pattern doesn't make
any sense anyway.)

You don't say what your bike currently has on it, but if you already
have a Shimano 8-or more speed hub, there's no need to replace it, just
get a 9- or 10-speed Shimano-compatible cassette and it will work fine
with a corresponding Campagnolo shifter and derailer.

Even if you don't currently have a suitable Shimano hub, you might want
to consider buying one...they are far and away the best value in hubs.

Sheldon "Shimagnolo" Brown
| The two most beautiful words in the English language a |
| 'Cheque enclosed.' -- Dorothy Parker |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Compatible shifters with SRAM X.0 rear derailleur Marc Rosenbaum Techniques 10 April 21st 04 01:59 PM
Campy Rear Derailleur Robin Hubert General 1 August 12th 03 05:45 PM
Braking Technique asqui Racing 55 July 25th 03 04:16 PM
Replacing cones on 8 speed Campy Record Rear Hub Fredrick Techniques 1 July 15th 03 02:22 PM