Advice needed: buy used (top end) or new (lower end)?

Old July 15th 04, 05:47 PM
Kamran Karimi

Default Advice needed: buy used (top end) or new (lower end)?

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a full suspension mountain bike. At a local bike
shop there is a Giant NRS 2 bike, about 4 or 5 years old. It is "fully
loaded" as the saying goes, and to my untrained eyes looks to be in
not too bad a shape, but needs some drive train components to be
changed. The asking price is about CDN $500. Then there is a new Giant
Warp DS2, which goes for CDN $950.

The Warp has warranty and everything, but I don't intend to do much
serious biking, so unless bikes ages rapidly (meaning a lot of
expensive maintanance), I am more inclined to go with the NRS. I
appreciate any advice on this issue.

-Kamran
Old July 15th 04, 08:36 PM
MattB

Kamran Karimi wrote:
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a full suspension mountain bike. At a local bike
shop there is a Giant NRS 2 bike, about 4 or 5 years old. It is "fully
loaded" as the saying goes, and to my untrained eyes looks to be in
not too bad a shape, but needs some drive train components to be
changed. The asking price is about CDN $500. Then there is a new Giant
Warp DS2, which goes for CDN $950.

The Warp has warranty and everything, but I don't intend to do much
serious biking, so unless bikes ages rapidly (meaning a lot of
expensive maintanance), I am more inclined to go with the NRS. I
appreciate any advice on this issue.

-Kamran

Not knowing specifics about those bikes, I wouldn't get either one.

Full suspension designs have come a long way in 4 or 5 years. The designs of
that time were often a lot flexier (laterally) and/or a lot less efficient
to pedal and offered less travel than many of the current designs. Those
things are key points for rider fatigue, comfort, and bike handling.

I might buy a used FS if it was relatively new, like within a couple of
years, and the price was attractive (and the bike checked out mechanically).

Another rule of thumb is full suspension bikes under a grand or so generally
aren't worth it, so that eliminates your second choice.

So if I were you I'd spend more for a newer FS or get a quality hardtail
(many good choices in the sub-$1000 range).

Matt

Old July 16th 04, 04:53 AM
Kamran Karimi

I checked the store again today, and it seems that the store people
made a mistake: The old Giant seems to be an XCX DS2. I did a google
search and apparently this bike has been more available in Europe than
North America. What should I look for when I am test riding an older
bike? Any specific areas I should check out?

About the Warp, I won't be riding the bike too agressively (no drops
more than half a metre or so). Would that allow one to consider a
cheaper dual suspension bike?

-Kamran

Old July 16th 04, 05:05 AM
Kamran Karimi

Here is a picture of the bike: http://www.monvelo.com/FicheXCXDS2.htm

I wonder if this bike frame has any known problems...

-Kamran
Old July 16th 04, 07:45 AM
bomba

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:53:26 -0700, Kamran Karimi wrote:

I checked the store again today, and it seems that the store people
made a mistake: The old Giant seems to be an XCX DS2. I did a google
search and apparently this bike has been more available in Europe than
North America. What should I look for when I am test riding an older
bike? Any specific areas I should check out?

It was an ok bike 4 years ago, but 4 years is a long time in full
suspension - I wouldn't touch it.

As others have said, with your budget, go for a hardtail.