Double flatted inflating tires.

Old February 10th 04, 12:29 PM
GABIKE

Default Double flatted inflating tires.

I need some help here before I pop any more tubes. For Chirstmas I got a set of
R450 road wheels. I finally got them on my bike about a week ago and when I
aired the tires I only put about 50psi in them, last saturday morning was my
first oppertunity to try them out. When I aired them up to riding pressure
(120psi) they both flatted within 30 seconds. The tubes both have little holes
like a snakebite. I wasnt riding it at the time, they both just went
psssssssssssst sitting there. Anyone had this problem before?
Old February 10th 04, 12:53 PM
S. Anderson

"GABIKE" wrote in message
I need some help here before I pop any more tubes. For Chirstmas I got a

set of
R450 road wheels. I finally got them on my bike about a week ago and when

aired the tires I only put about 50psi in them, last saturday morning was

my
first oppertunity to try them out. When I aired them up to riding pressure
(120psi) they both flatted within 30 seconds. The tubes both have little

holes
like a snakebite. I wasnt riding it at the time, they both just went
psssssssssssst sitting there. Anyone had this problem before?

Yup, you trapped a little bit of tube between the bead and the rim. When
you pump it up, pssst, it pops two holes in the tube and your day is
deflated. Make sure you're using the correct diameter tubes (makes it
easier to...) and make sure you tuck the tube up into the tire before
seating the second bead. It can be a tricky exercise on very narrow tires
and rims when the tires are tight-fitting.

Cheers,

Scott..

Old February 10th 04, 03:56 PM
Dan Daniel

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:53:50 -0500, "S. Anderson"
wrote:

"GABIKE" wrote in message
[...]

A way that I avoid trapping the tube is to inflate it twice. After
seating the tire, I put some pressure in the tube, enough to give it
shape. Then deflate the tire and inflate lightly again. Then I go
around the tire pinching the tire between two fingers as I go around,
checking the seating of the bead. Haven't pinched a tube in
installation in decades.
Old February 11th 04, 04:50 AM
R15757

Tell me you slapped some rim strip in there before you put the tires/tubes on?
Old February 11th 04, 12:13 PM
GABIKE

and make sure you tuck the tube up into the tire before
seating the second bead.

I double checked that. I go around the tire twice to check for pinches then
inflate and deflate and go around it again.
Im wondering if my air guage isnt broken.
Old February 11th 04, 12:51 PM
S. Anderson

"GABIKE" wrote in message

I double checked that. I go around the tire twice to check for pinches

then
inflate and deflate and go around it again.
Im wondering if my air guage isnt broken.

Check your rim tape as well. Make sure you're using a good one like the
Michelin fibreglass (although I've seen these split over time in the spoke
hole..) or a good quality rubber strip (the clear rubber kind, not the black
ones..). If there is a split there the tube can squeeze down into the
spoke hole and flat that way. I don't think it has to do with too much
pressure. That would blow the tire off but not pinch flat it the way you're
seeing. I really think the most likely explanation is that the tube was
somehow just under the bead somewhere. I'm not calling you a liar, but
maybe it was not that visible or something. It seems you're doing the right
things, so I'd just try again and see what happens. Maybe just a bit of bad
luck. It happens.

Cheers,

Scott..

Old February 12th 04, 04:05 AM
GABIKE

Maybe just a bit of bad
luck. It happens.

Im thinking that it just wasnt meant for me to ride saturday.

Studded tires R Christensen General 2 January 27th 04 04:40 PM
bike stability and 32c tires Jack Murphy General 1 December 10th 03 05:19 AM
Tires Dan Hall General 15 October 16th 03 05:46 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 19 July 24th 03 09:56 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 3 July 18th 03 08:18 PM