Hypocrisy

Old October 15th 04, 03:14 PM
SlowRider

Curtis L. Russell wrote in message . ..
While no doiubt there are SUVs that are used in an environmentally
enhancing way, the number of huge Navigators or whatever the call the
Cadillac and Lexus versions with 'Save the Bay' bumper stickers and Md
environmental license plates is at best amusing. Usually I see them on
my way into DC, each with one person on board. I guess that the
license plate is the result of a bad conscience.

I got a hearty chuckle out of a Ford pick-up I saw some years ago. It
had a big, in-your-face "Buy American" bumper sticker on the rear
bumper. In its bed were stowed two matching motorcycles...

....Yamahas.

JR
Old October 16th 04, 04:15 PM
TomP

Yes, it's better to be thought the fool, or in this case appear to be. Than to
open your mouth (or place a bumper sticker, on your car) and remove all doubt...

Claire Petersky wrote:

It's always dangerous having a bumper sticker, because once you do, it's
easy to be caught in a moment of hypocrisy. I've got a Share The Road
sticker on the back of my station wagon, as well as a decal from our bike
club in the window, and I'm always worried that I'll do something stupid in
that car, and then someone will say, sarcastically, "Nice job of sharing the
road, Doofus-head!"

So...I was riding home from work on Monday. Some large SUV driven by a
cell-phone-using blonde with her two kids in the back nearly side-swipes me
because she had a desperate need to get to the red light before I did. The
car had a Respect for Human Life bumpersticker. All I could think was, yeah,
as long as that human life is in the womb - put it on a bicycle, and that's
another matter!

I found it as humorous as one can find a near fatal experience.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist: