Looking for a vest

Old October 18th 04, 06:26 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Jeff Starr wrote:
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 22:52:40 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

the black rose wrote:
So does anybody have a recommendation for a decent online source for
lightweight-but-nice-and-warm vests? What's you're favorite online
place for outerwear that's good for cycling?

PerformanceBike.Com, SuperGo.Com, Nashbar.Com, all has a
ton of stuff online, and more in their snail-mail catalogs.

Actually, Performance and Nashbar offer more online, than in their
catalogs.

In English, the language I'm using here, because it's
the only one I speak with any fluency, "more" also means
"in addition". I saw some stuff in the catalog that
isn't online.

--Blair
"So we're both right."
Old October 18th 04, 03:39 PM
Jeff Starr

the black rose wrote:
So does anybody have a recommendation for a decent online source for
lightweight-but-nice-and-warm vests? What's you're favorite online
place for outerwear that's good for cycling?

PerformanceBike.Com, SuperGo.Com, Nashbar.Com, all has a
ton of stuff online, and more in their snail-mail catalogs.

Actually, Performance and Nashbar offer more online, than in their
catalogs.

In English, the language I'm using here, because it's
the only one I speak with any fluency, "more" also means
"in addition". I saw some stuff in the catalog that
isn't online.

--Blair
"So we're both right."

I have found that if it isn't on Performance's website, they no longer
have it in stock. In my experience, anything available in the
catalog, can be found online. I'm sure there are exceptions, but it is
not the rule. This is not a big deal, and I understood that you meant
"in addition" to rather than just quantity. The bottom line, is that
the catalog offers no more variety of selection, than online. And
within a day, the online availability is up to date.
I believe this applies to Nashbar, as well as Performance. I have no
experience with SuperGo, although I think they are owned by the same
corp that owns the other two. When I have looked at the SuperGo
catalogs, I found them to have less of a selection, than the other
two.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old October 18th 04, 10:39 PM
gds

"the black rose" wrote in message
It's cold. I need a vest. An insulating vest that will fit nicely
under my windbreaker. I'm thinking thermax maybe? Polartec? Something
like that. You get the idea. Something light enough to wear and still
be able to move, but provides some core warmth.

So does anybody have a recommendation for a decent online source for
lightweight-but-nice-and-warm vests? What's you're favorite online
place for outerwear that's good for cycling?

I tend to buy fairly expensive but well made items. I have a Patagonia
vest with a windblocker fleece front and a large rar zip pocket that
is now 10 years old and in perfect condition. I'd recommend it to
anyone. Comew out to less than $10 a year. I also use it for rock
climbing and that will beat the hell out of most things but this vest
shows no wear at all.
Old October 19th 04, 02:29 AM
Mike Kruger

"Jeff Starr" wrote in message

In English, the language I'm using here, because it's
the only one I speak with any fluency, "more" also means
"in addition". I saw some stuff in the catalog that
isn't online.

--Blair
"So we're both right."

I have found that if it isn't on Performance's website, they no longer
have it in stock. In my experience, anything available in the
catalog, can be found online.

That would be standard industry practice. Catalogs are clumsy old technology
that has to be prepared long in advance and can't be changed once it is
mailed. Web sites are a lot more flexible.

If you have only one albatross, you probably won't put it in the catalog,
but can put it in the "closeout" bin of the web site in hopes some old
sailor will buy it.