Great Bike Skills

Old October 21st 04, 01:23 PM
Gags

Default Great Bike Skills

Was waiting to be picked up from St Kilda Rd this arvo, not far from the
Shrine of Rememberance (rode to work but had to go somewhere with someone).
It was around 5.30pm and I was thinking how great a day it was and how good
it was to see so many people riding bikes home from work (good weather
brings em out in droves).

There was a guy on the other side of the road heading towards the city on a
mountain bike and he was pulling a mono from hell. He would have been
within my sight for 200m or so and he was on the back wheel the whole way.
I reckon he was doing close to 30km/h as the dude on the road bike behind
him wasn't catching up. He pedalled for most of the way but a couple of
times he coasted for at least 20m or so, still pulling a wheelie. The road
there has a slight bend but this was no probs for this dude who was still on
the back wheel when I lost sight of him.

So whoever you are......you rock!!!

Ride On,

Gags (who is stoked if he gets in 10 full rotations of the pedals when
pulling a mono).

Old October 22nd 04, 12:41 AM
hippy

"Gags" gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au wrote
There was a guy on the other side of the road heading towards the city on

mountain bike and he was pulling a mono from hell. He would have been

Duallie? Wheelies are easier on dual suspension bikes
because the rear squats down and with disc brakes you
can modulate the brakes much better than rim brakes.

him wasn't catching up. He pedalled for most of the way but a couple of
times he coasted for at least 20m or so, still pulling a wheelie. The

road

That's called a "manual". You should watch the New World
Disorder series. I think it's the second or third one where one
of the riders manuals at high speed down some bigass hills,
weaving through traffic on the back wheel.. awesome riding!

hippy
- who can't wheelie for nuts

Old October 22nd 04, 07:20 AM
tony f

"hippy" wrote in message
"Gags" gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au wrote
There was a guy on the other side of the road heading towards the city

on
mountain bike and he was pulling a mono from hell. He would have been

Duallie? Wheelies are easier on dual suspension bikes
because the rear squats down and with disc brakes you
can modulate the brakes much better than rim brakes.

him wasn't catching up. He pedalled for most of the way but a couple of
times he coasted for at least 20m or so, still pulling a wheelie. The

road

That's called a "manual". You should watch the New World
Disorder series. I think it's the second or third one where one
of the riders manuals at high speed down some bigass hills,
weaving through traffic on the back wheel.. awesome riding!

hippy
- who can't wheelie for nuts

hehe - I was once passed by a guy manualling down a big (tar) hill. I was
doing 60 kmh at the time. Next thing, he dropped it down, briefly hit the
brakes, and proceeded to *nose wheelie* at the same speed.
A-fricking-mazing!

Then he whipped my sorry arse on the dirt as well.

Tony F
www.thefathippy.com

Old October 22nd 04, 10:29 AM
Marty Wallace

"tony f" wrote in message

"hippy" wrote in message
[...]

Hey hold on!
So Hippy and the Fat Hippy aren't the same person?
I thought maybe the Fat Hippy had lost some weight and simply become Hippy.
Someone help me out on this!

Marty

Old October 22nd 04, 11:32 AM
Terry Collins

Marty Wallace wrote:

Hey hold on!
So Hippy and the Fat Hippy aren't the same person?
I thought maybe the Fat Hippy had lost some weight and simply become Hippy.
Someone help me out on this!

different cities too.
Old October 23rd 04, 01:40 PM
hippy

"Marty Wallace" wrote
Hey hold on!
So Hippy and the Fat Hippy aren't the same person?

hahaha no they are not :-)

The two aliases were created independently and
I'm sure were coined for different reasons? We worked
out a while back that Tony had it first (only because
he's older :-P), but he was Fat Hippy and I was just
hippy. There is also a courier in San Fran with the nick
hippy.

Fat Hippy rides further north than the Melbourne-based
hippy (Syd?). He rides more mtb than hippy too and
knows a great deal more about bike lighting (and
probably many many more things too!).
But the difference is getting smaller.. 'hippy' having just
read his very own article in a certain "Enduro" mag! (Yes,
I finally spotted a copy! Mum will be so proud hehehe)
The Fat Hippy writes for Australian Mountain Bike?
Maybe others too Tony?

I thought maybe the Fat Hippy had lost some weight
and simply become Hippy. Someone help me out on this!

I think last time we compared 'hippy'ness I lost out on
the scales.. but I'm not so sure he'd win this time around.
We'll have to wait and see :-)

hippy
http://www.thehippy.net/

Old October 23rd 04, 02:21 PM
Etxy

tony f Wrote:
Next thing, he dropped it down, briefly hit the
brakes, and proceeded to *nose wheelie* at the same speed.
A-fricking-mazing!

Makes me feel squeamish just thinking about it! :eek

--
Etxy