Eccentric BB and a singlespeed

Old September 27th 04, 05:14 AM
casurina99

Default Eccentric BB and a singlespeed

Hi All

Perhaps someone out there has used an eccentric bottom bracket on
singlespeed conversion.
Some may remember my lightweight frame, that needs to go single. Bu
its got short dropouts, so I need to use an eccentic bottom bracke
perhaps

What is a good brand. Are they a real pain in the bum?

My options oterwise is building up yet another rear wheel... which
seem to have far too many of at present. (Re-dishing the one on th
bike isnt an option. Rusted spokes, bodgy rim -trust me its beyon
it.

--
casurina99

Old September 27th 04, 05:34 AM
suzyj

Casurina99 wrote:

Perhaps someone out there has used an eccentric bottom
bracket on a singlespeed conversion.

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that you have to use a
oversize bottom bracket shell to use an eccentric bottom bracket.
Unless you're pretty handy with the torch (in which swapping th
forkends would be a lot easier anyway) I'd suggest using an eccentri
hub.

Regards,

Suzy

PS: If it's gonna freewheel anyway, you could always just leave
derailleur in there to tension the chain

--
suzyj

Old September 27th 04, 05:37 AM
hippy

"casurina99"

Perhaps someone out there has used an eccentric bottom bracket on a
singlespeed conversion.
Some may remember my lightweight frame, that needs to go single. But
its got short dropouts, so I need to use an eccentic bottom bracket
perhaps.

What do you mean "short" dropouts? Vertical dropouts?
Ecc. BB's require a fairly huge frame modification - they
don't just screw in - the frame has to have an extra large
bb shell to fit the EBB:
http://www.m-gineering.nl/inbredti1.jpg
(the whole in this is for a 'normal' bb - see the size diff.?)

- You could use an old derailer as a tensioner - very cheap
- You could pick a gear combo that works with no
tensioner and your chainstay length. It might require
some fiddling and maybe a bmx half link but it is also
quite cheap.
- Grind the vertical dropouts
- Buy a commercial chain tensioner ~$90
- Have GripSport fit horizontal "dropouts" (track ends)
- ENO eccentric hub option

Read this: http://mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml

What is a good brand. Are they a real pain in the bum?

No idea and 1) Yes, if you're frame isn't built for one, No
if it is.

My options oterwise is building up yet another rear wheel... which I
seem to have far too many of at present. (Re-dishing the one on the
bike isnt an option. Rusted spokes, bodgy rim -trust me its beyond
it.)

I know Dan from www.atomic-industries.com has some eccentric
ENO hubs in stock. 135mm MTB spacing. I know this because
they sent the wrong ones to him - I had ordered one spaced for
road dropouts.

hth
hippy