Eccentric BB and a singlespeed

Old September 27th 04, 05:47 AM
casurina99

Default Eccentric BB and a singlespeed

suzyj Wrote:
Casurina99 wrote

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that you have to use a
oversize bottom bracket shell to use an eccentric bottom bracket
Unless you're pretty handy with the torch (in which swapping th
forkends would be a lot easier anyway) I'd suggest using an eccentri
hub

Regards

Suz

PS: If it's gonna freewheel anyway, you could always just leave
derailleur in there to tension the chain.

Thats what I was worried about..

I don't like the chain tensioner stuff - purely aesthetic reasons

Not so handy with a torch myself though. This is the wiggly ligh
frame of mine, so I wanted a simple fix... Maybe an eccentric hub woul
be an answer.

But thats another wheel to build up yet again. Obviously Im al
undecided about doing this otherwise I'd just run out and build up
new wheel

Hmm perhaps later in the week

I'll post frame pics for all those steel lovers out there soon

--
casurina99

Old September 27th 04, 06:03 AM
hippy

"casurina99"
I don't like the chain tensioner stuff - purely aesthetic reasons.

Fair call, but I got over it quickly when
costs were mentioned:-) Not so the next
ss..

But thats another wheel to build up yet again. Obviously Im all
undecided about doing this otherwise I'd just run out and build up a
new wheel.

If you have so many wheels - why not build one of your
existing ones into an eccentric-hub version?

I'll post frame pics for all those steel lovers out there soon.

starsky and hutch
DO IT. DO IT.
/starsky and hutch

hippy

Old September 27th 04, 02:36 PM
mfhor

hippy Wrote:
"casurina99"
I don't like the chain tensioner stuff - purely aesthetic reasons

Fair call, but I got over it quickly whe
costs were mentioned:-) Not so the nex
ss.

But thats another wheel to build up yet again. Obviously Im al
undecided about doing this otherwise I'd just run out and build up
new wheel

If you have so many wheels - why not build one of you
existing ones into an eccentric-hub version

I'll post frame pics for all those steel lovers out there soon

starsky and hutch
DO IT. DO IT
/starsky and hutch

hippy

If you knew someone with a lathe, and had a spare BMX (24", maybe?
could you put an eccentric tandem shell into a BMX b/b? Oh, and
welder to put some locating screw holes/nuts in the b/b?

Anybody done this or similar?

M "too much time on his hands"

--
mfhor

Old September 27th 04, 11:25 PM
hippy

"mfhor"
If you knew someone with a lathe, and had a spare BMX (24", maybe?)
could you put an eccentric tandem shell into a BMX b/b? Oh, and a
welder to put some locating screw holes/nuts in the b/b?

Anybody done this or similar?

Maaaybe.. but surely it would be easier to
just retrofit a normal ebb? I know this has
been done - it's just usually more trouble
than it's worth. Other than bike shop owners
and 60 y.o. mad bike builders with a large
stash of gear - I don't know anyone with all
the above parts/tools.

hippy
"Good luck!" ;-)