Thunderbolts and lightning

Old January 27th 04, 10:44 AM
Andrew Price

Default Thunderbolts and lightning

Went for the long ride on Sunday - storms were "about" but it didn't look
that bad when I started out.

3/4 of the way through the ride hit a heavy rain shower - no big deal, both
the bike and I needed a clean anyway.

Except that this storm had the added thrills of hail and for my first time
while riding, a serious lightning storm and I'm a long way from shelter.

I guess I was lucky because in similar storms here this week there was one
death and 2 injuries - press reports at -

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...087964361.html

In my case there was a flash close enough to scare me more than Condoleezza
Rice does and the thunder clap seemed to shake my rib cage.

Found the first substantial building I could (a cafe 3km up the road) and
drank a number of very strong coffees reflecting on what I should have done,
apart from choosing a better day/time to ride.

From a web site devoted to protecting people from lightning strikes at -

http://www.lightning.org/safety.htm

- I see the recommendation if you get a tingling sensation if unavoidably
outside is to get off the bike, away from metal objects and to crouch (not
lie) down cover your ears and presumably kiss your bottom goodbye.

Just wondering if anyone in the group has any better wisdom about being
smarter if unwittingly you get caught riding in a storm with lightning.

best, Andrew

Old January 27th 04, 03:11 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Andrew Price wrote:

In my case there was a flash close enough to scare me more than Condoleezza
Rice does and the thunder clap seemed to shake my rib cage.

Very, very frightening! I'm so glad the Great Zeus decided to spare you!

Just curious - is Queen fandom a consistent side effect of the cycling passion?

EFR
Doting in front of her Freddie Mercury wallpaper in Ile de France

Old January 27th 04, 05:30 PM
David Reuteler

David Kerber wrote:
: Just curious - is Queen fandom a consistent side effect of the cycling passion
: IME, yes.

otoh i'm fighting the good fight. i'll report back if it's a losing one.
--
david reuteler

Old January 27th 04, 07:41 PM
Doug Purdy

"Andrew Price" wrote in message
Except that this storm had the added thrills of hail and for my

first time
while riding, a serious lightning storm and I'm a long way from

shelter.

In my case there was a flash close enough to scare me more than

Condoleezza
Rice does and the thunder clap seemed to shake my rib cage.

Found the first substantial building I could (a cafe 3km up the

road) and
drank a number of very strong coffees reflecting on what I

should have done,
apart from choosing a better day/time to ride.

From a web site devoted to protecting people from lightning

strikes at -

http://www.lightning.org/safety.htm

Sure is exciting when you're soaked with rain, the highest thing
in sight, a metal bar between your legs and that huge thunderclap
happens right overhead.

From your link, I should have just got off my bike and walked out
to crouch in the the lower fields beside the road but I just kept
riding. Guess it was my turn to be lucky.

Doug
For email, a sense of wonder.

Old January 28th 04, 08:46 AM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

David Reuteler wrote:

David Kerber wrote:
: Just curious - is Queen fandom a consistent side effect of the cycling passion
: IME, yes.

otoh i'm fighting the good fight. i'll report back if it's a losing one.

Gotta get it right first time!

EFR

Old January 28th 04, 12:50 PM
Doug Huffman

Years sailing and never was the boat struck. Mazama's wrote Mountaineering:
Freedom of the Hills with IIRC a chapter on lightning safety - much less
hysterical than single issue 'public service' organizations. The conspiracy
of ignorance masquerades as common sense. And your 'politics' suck.

Old January 28th 04, 01:36 PM
Hitchy

Andrew Price wrote:
Went for the long ride on Sunday - storms were "about" but it didn't
look that bad when I started out.
3/4 of the way through the ride hit a heavy rain shower - no big deal,
both the bike and I needed a clean anyway.
Except that this storm had the added thrills of hail and for my
first time while riding, a serious lightning storm and I'm a long
way from shelter.
I guess I was lucky because in similar storms here this week there was
one death and 2 injuries - press reports at -
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...mlhttp://www.-
smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/26/1075087964361.html
In my case there was a flash close enough to scare me more than
Condoleezza Rice does and the thunder clap seemed to shake my rib cage.
Found the first substantial building I could (a cafe 3km up the road)
and drank a number of very strong coffees reflecting on what I should
have done, apart from choosing a better day/time to ride.
From a web site devoted to protecting people from lightning strikes at -
http://www.lightning.org/safety.htmh...org/safety.htm
- I see the recommendation if you get a tingling sensation if
unavoidably outside is to get off the bike, away from metal objects
and to crouch (not lie) down cover your ears and presumably kiss your
bottom goodbye.
Just wondering if anyone in the group has any better wisdom about being
smarter if unwittingly you get caught riding in a storm with lightning.
best, Andrew

G'day Pricey,

some of my club mates & I were out for a training ride awhile back.
Whilst doing a few climbs, the sky turned black & the heavens opened.
next thing we know, 4 of us are sitting on our arses!. A bolt of
lightning struck a tree probably 30ft away...scared the crap out of me &
fried my 720I HRM..... Not funny God!.... Still once we got back on the
bikes, the next 'effort' was done without any complaining & at record
pace!. Dunno what the solution is, but when the 'big guy' wants you to
pull turns in his cycling club...you ain't got much choice,

cheers

Old January 28th 04, 02:32 PM
loki

....very very frightening.