ditching backpack for timbuk2 - opinions

Old February 11th 04, 04:28 PM
Tune2828

Default ditching backpack for timbuk2 - opinions

it was fairly mild yesterday in denver on ride home - and started sweating
riding home wearing my "morning layers" plus my backpack

i'm a cold weather person to begin with and prefer 30-50 degree range. i just
started bike commuting 2-3x a week in october weather permitting, so hoping
this first summer won't torture me too much.

i've looked at the timbuk2's el ocho online and at bike shop - but my question
is does anyone lay these flat on a bike rack? i have the rear racks which i
don't use except carrying groceries and u-lock. i've tried securing my
backpack on a few times, but takes a while to tie up all straps and ensure that
don't fall into wheel area, plus i carry some loose binders that get crushed by
the ties. i don't want panniers - just my personal preference. i also have a
nice big handlebar rack for wallet/keys/cell phone/warm hat/gloves

if i tighten up the straps on a timbuk2 could i just lay this flat on my rear
rack? and get a darker color due to mud or dirt splashing up.

can anyone recommend a good timbuk2 model? - will el ocho work for carrying:

notebook files carrying 8 1/2 by 11 papers
folded short sleeve shirt for work
book or magazines to read if take the bus
misc pens/papers/ notes/pills/nail clippers/hair gel
a rectangle shaped tupperware for my lunch (ok that's pushing it)

thanks!
Old February 11th 04, 06:37 PM
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:17:43 -0500, Alex Rodriguez wrote:

No, it won't work. just get panniers or wear it.

This, I agree with.

*If you wear it, a
backpack is more comfortable. The only advantage a messenger bag has over
a backpack is that you can swing it around to grab stuff inside without
taking it off. Otherwise, a backpack makes more sense.

Not necessarily. I have a Timbuk2 (I forget the model) that is more
comfortable and convenient than the backpacks I have had before. It
provides better rain protection to the stuff inside than a backpack, as
well. With the strap from the bottom to the sling attached, it is secure
and comfortable, and never seems to get in the way.

I typically carry: notebook and other papers, stuffed-in rain jacket,
small (please don't steal me) lock, pens, PDA, lunch. More than the OP
claimed to need. It also expands to hold more without allowing things to
get wet.

Nothing on your back will keep you from sweating, though.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
_`\(,_ | business.
(_)/ (_) |

Old February 12th 04, 12:36 AM
Andy Simpson

No, it won't work. just get panniers or wear it.

This, I agree with.

Me too

If you wear it, a
backpack is more comfortable. The only advantage a messenger bag has

over
a backpack is that you can swing it around to grab stuff inside without
taking it off. Otherwise, a backpack makes more sense.

Not necessarily. I have a Timbuk2 (I forget the model) that is more
comfortable and convenient than the backpacks I have had before. It
provides better rain protection to the stuff inside than a backpack, as
well. With the strap from the bottom to the sling attached, it is secure
and comfortable, and never seems to get in the way.

I second all this. I think that its easier to position the Timbuk2 (and
probably other courier bags) to get a comfortable sit on your back/butt when
carrying pokey-out hard items (lunch-box, shoes, many books, tin cans...). I
switched about four years ago for my daily commute and I'm still riding with
the same bag, its still waterproof and I'm still very happy with it.

I typically carry: notebook and other papers, stuffed-in rain jacket,
small (please don't steal me) lock, pens, PDA, lunch. More than the OP
claimed to need. It also expands to hold more without allowing things to
get wet.

Nothing on your back will keep you from sweating, though.

Indeed, I got to work today to find that I'd forgotten to bring a shirt in,
the emergency shirt was still at home and there was much sweat upon me.

Andy

Old February 12th 04, 05:31 AM
R15757

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

No, it won't work. just get panniers or wear it. If you wear it, a
backpack is more comfortable. The only advantage a messenger bag has over
a backpack is that you can swing it around to grab stuff inside without
taking it off. Otherwise, a backpack makes more sense.
-------------
Alex

Alex is right. Plus a real messenger sack would be too big and floppy to strap
onto a rack. Messenger bags are great when you need easy and constant access to
the lock, ticketbook, pen, packages. People who choose them over backpacks for
normal everyday commuter use are making a mistake IMO.

Especially when you're climbing out of the saddle, messenger bag will try to
swing around front and often ends hanging uncomfortably around the neck, that
is why messengers are always doing that little shuffle where they toss the bag
around onto their back where it belongs. The bag's tendency to do this depends
in large part on the material of the rider's jacket or shirt. Many couriers
report back problems caused by hauling heavy loads with a lopsided messenger
bag--it is much nicer to haul three days' worth of groceries in a big backpack
than a messenger bag of similar volume. Much nicer. Comfort is the main reason
many couriers have been switching, at no small cost in accessibility to things
in the pack, to large messenger backpacks that are available from many
companies. This trend started in Germany I believe. These packs may be too
large for normal civilian use. but they sure are nice. Try Chrome, PacDesigns,
Ortlieb.

Robert
Old February 12th 04, 04:31 PM
Luigi de Guzman

I have a Timbuk2 "DeeDog"--the bigger model; bought it when I went
away to graduate school.

It lies flat on my back but it doesn't sway while I'm riding a bike--a
plus. I've found it to be fairly waterproof in practice (it had
better have been, since I was using it in London), provided care is
taken to secure the flap properly.

The reflective tails are a nice idea for extra visibility in traffic;
however the catches on which these attach are also inconveniently
close to the catches which open and close the main flap of the bag.
I lost one reflective tag this way, rushing my way in and out of a
crowded lecture theatre.

The DeeDog has/had more than enough capacity for my uses: it has
swallowed a laptop, two A4 lever arch files, a few quarto-sized
academic books. It carried a folio-sized (think city telephone book)
text along with a bunch of other stuff with no problems and no leakage
from rain. Mine's OD and khaki; when my Dad saw me wearing it, he
quipped that I looked like the ammunition-carrier for a bazooka team,
so I imagine it'll handle RPG rounds (handy for taking out abusive
drivers!). I have used it as a general-purpose bag for weekend trips
(not on the bike).

The bag's huge compartment swallows big things easily; however, when
packing lots of little things, care must be taken, since they have a
tendency to slop around. When you're loading it up with a full load,
your back will repay you if you manage to keep a flat surface against
the bit of the back that lies across your back.

I've used it as a camera bag (with a smaller, padded bag inside, since
I have no dividers) and have no real complaints other than the fact
that it's probably too big for the gear that I have. As it is it
swallows my small 35mm stuff (Pentax MX & 3 lenses), a Lubitel 166,
and a Rolleiflex. Plus notebook, & other odds & ends.

I've used it as a weekend bag for trips (not on the bike) and while
capacity is very good, I've had some issues with keeping stuff
unwrinkled, but maybe that's just my bad packing.

The bag, the second-largest in the line, fits me very well, but then
again I am a very big guy, with very broad shoulders.

-Luigi

www.livejournal.com/users/ouij

photographs, rants, raves

Old February 12th 04, 05:24 PM
Tune2828

thanks for the replies. i won't attempt to use it as a "mini trunk rack"

i tried out the commute bag - nice but pretty big, and also the standard
messenger bag.

they seemed to fit nice and snug, but interesting posts about using them for
longer commutes -- my ride to work is 9 miles each way.

my roomate is similar non timbuk bag - may try it for a few days and get a feel
for it before buying one - but i like the look and feel - especially the
breifcase handle on the cummute bag - just want it to be practical for long
rides

thanks again!
Old February 12th 04, 06:52 PM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:31:04 +0000, R15757 wrote:

Especially when you're climbing out of the saddle, messenger bag will try to
swing around front and often ends hanging uncomfortably around the neck,

You might want to try a better messenger bag, then. My Timbuk2 does not
do that, at all. There is a strap, easy to undo, that goes across the
other side of the chest and holds the bag as securely as any backpack.

shirt. Many couriers report back problems caused by hauling heavy loads
with a lopsided messenger bag--it is much nicer to haul three days'
worth of groceries in a big backpack than a messenger bag of similar
volume.

3 days worth of groceries would be much better carried in panniers. The
OP was not talking about that much weight.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | More people object to wearing fur than leather because it is
_`\(,_ | safer to harrass rich white women than motorcycle gangs.
(_)/ (_) |

Old February 13th 04, 02:24 AM
R15757

David L. Johnson wrote:

You might want to try a better messenger bag, then. My Timbuk2 does not
do that, at all. There is a strap, easy to undo, that goes across the
other side of the chest and holds the bag as securely as any backpack.

Well my Timbuk2 does it every time I'm carrying a load up a hill--this is not
an indication of a bag's quality or lack thereof. Mine is an old model, without
the strap. Yeah you could strap it down, but here you might be asking yourself:
what's the point if you're not delivering packages? Oh that's right, Fashion.

Fact is, the traditional one-strap bag is an outmoded design that is being
phased out by working messengers. Almost every time a messenger need a new bag
these days, they go for the backpack style. Pretty soon the only people wearing
old-style messenger bags will be non-messengers trying to look like messengers.

I dont know what the fascination with Timbuk is. They are passable but there
are much better bags available for the same price. Marketing I guess.

Robert