Criminals on TV

Old August 13th 07, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Steve Firth

Default Criminals on TV

Last week on TV there was a short video featuring the antics of a
cyclist in Lancashire. The programme was supposed to be advocating the
benefits of cycling as a means of getting to work.

In it the cyclist used what appeared to be a helmet mounted camera and
gave a running commentary on his progress. The person in question was
styled as an active campaigner for cycling and has contributed in the
past to "The Cycle Campaign Network's Campaign for High Standards."

One might, therefore, have expected to see a demonstration of the best
in cycling proficiency with, perhaps, some comment on the economic,
environmental and health benefits of cycling. Instead the program
portrayed someone bleating self-righteously about every other road user
while throwing in such comments as "whoops it's a bit naughty but I need
to go the wrong way down a one-way street here to save time." He also
showed the usual disregard for Give Way and STOP markings and for red
lights, preferring instead to shout aloud about his love of "sweeping
turns downhill" which were achieved by the simple expedient of not
looking at oncoming traffic and diving around a curve flat out, ignoring
the STOP marking where that curve led onto another road.

General standards of cycling portrayed in the video were IMO low with
scant regard to traffic law.

Is this how cyclists wish to be seen by the general public? Self
righteous tits who consider that the law applies only to others?

I hope the police use the video as evidence for prosecution as they
would in the case of a motorist who recorded himself driving recklessly.
Old August 13th 07, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

Was the cyclist a reporter?

Old August 13th 07, 05:45 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Cheeky[_2_]

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:33:46 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

One might, therefore, have expected to see a demonstration of the best
in cycling proficiency with, perhaps, some comment on the economic,
environmental and health benefits of cycling. Instead the program
portrayed someone bleating self-righteously about every other road user
while throwing in such comments as "whoops it's a bit naughty but I need
to go the wrong way down a one-way street here to save time."

Yup. Could have wept when I saw/heard that bit. Just what law-abiding
cyclists need . One of the more ****witted ones given a camera and
national airtime. Great...
Old August 13th 07, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Steve Firth[_2_]

spindrift wrote:

Was the cyclist a reporter?

No, as I stated in the post he is a cycling campaigner.
Old August 13th 07, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
CoyoteBoy

On 13 Aug, 15:33, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Last week on TV there was a short video featuring the antics of a
cyclist in Lancashire. The programme was supposed to be advocating the
benefits of cycling as a means of getting to work.

What channel/programme?

Old August 13th 07, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
david lloyd

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
[...]

Complain to the TV company. If this guy is ment to represent the behaviour
of a well trained cyclist, he is doing harm to our image, as if this isn't
tarnished enough amongst an already prejudiced motoring public.

David Lloyd

Old August 13th 07, 06:46 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Steve Firth

CoyoteBoy wrote:

On 13 Aug, 15:33, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Last week on TV there was a short video featuring the antics of a
cyclist in Lancashire. The programme was supposed to be advocating the
benefits of cycling as a means of getting to work.

What channel/programme?

Dang, you expect me to notive stuff like that? The TV was in "noise in
the background, I'm in a hotel" mode. Probably Channel 4, around 8pm I
think. Perhaps Cheeky can remember the details.
Old August 13th 07, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling

On Aug 13, 3:33 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
[...]

No need to me to comment on this one, it's all there....lol

Old August 13th 07, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Steve Firth

David Lloyd wrote:

Complain to the TV company. If this guy is ment to represent the behaviour
of a well trained cyclist, he is doing harm to our image, as if this isn't
tarnished enough amongst an already prejudiced motoring public.

Having done a Google, I found a description of the program he

http://www.channel4.com/4talent/feature.jsp?id=5166

And he

http://www.portobellofilmfestival.co...studios08.html

Robin Field - Country Commute (4'15) On a beautiful Cornish summers day
I documented my commute by push bike from Truro to Falmouth.
Old August 13th 07, 07:23 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
David Lloyd wrote:

Complain to the TV company. If this guy is ment to represent the
behaviour
of a well trained cyclist, he is doing harm to our image, as if this
isn't
tarnished enough amongst an already prejudiced motoring public.

Having done a Google, I found a description of the program he

http://www.channel4.com/4talent/feature.jsp?id=5166

And he

http://www.portobellofilmfestival.co...studios08.html

Robin Field - Country Commute (4'15) On a beautiful Cornish summers day
I documented my commute by push bike from Truro to Falmouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrgmAE5-OOc

The two faults I saw were that one way street and poor road positioning. No
running of red lights, stop likes, etc.

clive