World Carfree Day

Old September 10th 10, 07:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default World Carfree Day

I realise this event is of little interest to most people in our car
dominated UK, or even an annoyance perhaps, but we do still have a few
of these events going on here to which cyclists are pleased to attend
and it is also a world wide event for those lurking on this NG from
abroad.

"Dear carfree campaigners,

World Carfree Day is just around the corner and we need your help to
publicise all the events going on across the world! Check out our WCD
web pages and submit your town's event in our 2010 wiki, or if you
prefer simply send the details to me or Markus Heller by e-mail. We
plan to have a bigger, easier-to-use wiki system for next year...

If you are interested in organising a PARK(ing) Day event or finding
one near you, please visit
http://parkingday.org/parking-day-map/ for more info.

Thanks and happy CFD!"

The vital dates:
PARK(ing) Day: 17 September.
World Carfree Day: 22 September.

http://www.worldcarfree.net/wcfd/

-- .
World Carfree Network
http://www.worldcarfree.net/
Help for your car-addicted friends in the U.K.
Old September 10th 10, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

Default World Dougfree Day

On Sep 10, 7:04*am, Doug wrote:
[...]

How about a collection for sending Doug to an institution (where he
rightly belongs) with no computers for a day, or preferably for good?
Then we wouldn't have to put up with this drivel.
Old September 10th 10, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

Doug wrote:
I realise this event is of little interest to most people in our car
dominated UK, or even an annoyance perhaps, but we do still have a few
of these events going on here to which cyclists are pleased to attend
and it is also a world wide event for those lurking on this NG from
abroad.

Has anyone else followed the link & seen what these ****wits are up to?

"PARK(ing) Day is a annual open-source global event where citizens, artists
and activists collaborate to temporarily transform metered parking spaces
into "PARK(ing)" spaces: temporary public places.

Un ****ing believeable.

Some people badly need to get a life.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

Old September 11th 10, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 10 Sep, 20:07, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Doug wrote:
I realise this event is of little interest to most people in our car
dominated UK, or even an annoyance perhaps, but we do still have a few
of these events going on here to which cyclists are pleased to attend
and it is also a world wide event for those lurking on this NG from
abroad.

Has anyone else followed the link & seen what these ****wits are up to?

"PARK(ing) Day is a annual open-source global event where citizens, artists
and activists collaborate to temporarily transform metered parking spaces
into "PARK(ing)" spaces: temporary public places.

Un ****ing believeable.

Some people badly need to get a life.

Yes the ones that deeply love cars and cause so many problems with
them, including partially blocking our roads with their parking
spaces.

-- .
Old September 11th 10, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Doug wrote:
I realise this event is of little interest to most people in our car
dominated UK, or even an annoyance perhaps, but we do still have a
few of these events going on here to which cyclists are pleased to
attend and it is also a world wide event for those lurking on this
NG from abroad.

Has anyone else followed the link & seen what these ****wits are up
to?

"PARK(ing) Day is a annual open-source global event where citizens,
artists and activists collaborate to temporarily transform metered
parking spaces into "PARK(ing)" spaces: temporary public places.

Un ****ing believeable.

Some people badly need to get a life.

Yes the ones that deeply love cars and cause so many problems with
them, including partially blocking our roads with their parking
spaces.

Lets do it! Lets get rid of the car!

Never mind the £52 billion + the industry turns over, or the 800,000 jobs,
or the £23.6 billion fuel duty raised, or the £5.1 billion in VAT.

Oh **** - the UK economy has just crashed.

Old September 12th 10, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Doug wrote:
I realise this event is of little interest to most people in our car
dominated UK, or even an annoyance perhaps, but we do still have a few
of these events going on here to which cyclists are pleased to attend
and it is also a world wide event for those lurking on this NG from
abroad.

Has anyone else followed the link & seen what these ****wits are up to?

"PARK(ing) Day is a annual open-source global event where citizens, artists
and activists collaborate to temporarily transform metered parking spaces
into "PARK(ing)" spaces: temporary public places.

Un ****ing believeable.

Some people badly need to get a life.

What about this lot of 80,000 mass of cyclists who celebrate Carfree
day and put our lot to shame?

http://www.budapest23.eu/?p=5405

-- .

Old September 12th 10, 06:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

You are forgetting something, the overall costs of mass car use and
the fact that we don't need to get rid of all of them. A good first
step would be to halve car use which would then halve all the problems
it causes.

-- .

Old September 12th 10, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

How would you go about doing that, please give us your master plan.
Old September 12th 10, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

So what exactly are "the overall costs of mass car use" then?

Prepares for ******nomics

Old September 13th 10, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

Several ways. Firstly, stop trying to make motoring look so attractive
when it is not, particularly in adverts and the motoring press.
Secondly, make cars carry a prominent health warning similar to
cigarettes. Thirdly, introduce road pricing more widely to make
motoring less competitive with public transport and more dependent on
distance traveled.
Fifthly, provide fewer car parking spaces, particularly the free 24/7
street garaging of cars.
Sixthly, make driving tests and medical tests more difficult and
renewable yearly.

That should about do it.

-- .

World CarFree Day Doug[_3_] UK 16 September 14th 09 05:48 PM
London Carfree Doug[_3_] UK 4 September 5th 09 07:19 AM
New Carfree Blogosphere! Doug[_3_] UK 0 July 1st 09 12:57 PM
Carfree Sundays [email protected] Recumbent Biking 2 March 27th 07 12:46 AM
September 22 - World CarFree Day cfsmtb Australia 8 September 23rd 05 05:28 AM