Forester says...

Old February 4th 11, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default Forester says...

On 2/3/2011 8:44 AM, Duane Hebert wrote:
On 2/2/2011 7:25 PM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:

Anything unpredictable and violating traffic regulations by cyclists
will irritate motorists.

Traffic, stop lights and bad weather irritate motorists. Point is, the
average motorist is already irritated. That's one good reason to ride a
bike.

I like driving in snow.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old February 4th 11, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 2/3/2011 5:08 PM, James Steward wrote:
[...]
I've also heard from a cyclist who lives on top of the mountain that a
cafe shop owner doesn't like cyclists at the shop because they are a
nuisance on the road and take up seats at the cafe that tourists and
other people could be using.[...]

This needs to be publicized locally, so cyclists boycott the cafe.

Old February 4th 11, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 2/3/2011 5:33 PM, Wes Newell wrote:
On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 21:05:26 +0000, Phil W Lee wrote:

You seem to have misread the OP of this subthread. This is a situation
where there is no shoulder. Where the hell did the idiot expect them to
be riding - levitating above the surrounding countryside?

I expected them to follow the law and ride single file close to the right
side of the road.

Is the lane wide enough for a motor vehicle to pass single-file cyclists
*safely* without crossing the center-line? If not, the cyclists
*should* be far enough out into the lane, for the overtaking traffic to
have to wait to overtake until the other lane is clear of oncoming
traffic. Vehicular Cycling 101. Maybe you should enroll in one of
Frank Krygowski's classes:
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/SafetySkills/index.html.

I'm the idiot? They would have been the ones dead
except for my avoiding them.

Congratulations on not being a murderer.

Cyclist are hit and killed all the time
around here.

Citation? In no place on the planet is cyclist carnage a common event.

And most of the time it isn't their fault. Even then,
nothing usually happens to the driver unless he's committed some
violation.

Striking a cyclist who has the right-of-way is a violation in any
civilization.

Point being, dead is still dead, right or wrong.

D A N G E R !

D A N G E R !

Old February 4th 11, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 2/3/2011 6:00 PM, Wes Newell wrote:
On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 21:21:51 +0000, Phil W Lee wrote:
[...]
It builds false expectations among motorists that nothing will ever be
in their way, and they can recklessly charge around blind bends without
consideration of what may be there. When everyone acts as you do, the
motorists start thinking they have some kind of RIGHT to be criminally
negligent morons - just the attitude you seem to be demonstrating. That
is a major reason for the "safety in numbers" effect - the more cyclists
that are encountered by motorists, the more they come to expect (and
respect) them.

They do have the right to the roadway. They pay for it with license fees
and gas taxes. Cyclist don't pay for it. We are just allowed to use it.[...]

B U L L S H I T !

Local roads are paid for almost entirely by property taxes; and license
fees and fuel taxes do *not* cover the externalities of motor vehicle
use. Cycling is a *right*, motor vehicle use is a *privilege*.

Old February 4th 11, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
kolldata

retarded

bad tempered

irrational

overtired, near bonk, mental bonk, failure to understand situation,
inability to collect sensory information and process.

also can be 'macho'
Old February 4th 11, 06:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
kolldata

On Feb 3, 11:50*am, Wes Newell wrote:
On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 16:00:54 +0000, Phil W Lee wrote:
Wes Newell considered Thu, 3 Feb 2011
07:09:51 +0000 (UTC) the perfect time to write:

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 18:25:37 -0600, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:

Anything unpredictable and violating traffic regulations by cyclists
will irritate motorists.

* * * * *I just started riding about 8 months ago, and I can assure
* * * * *you,
I won't ride on any road with a speed limit over 35mph that doesn't have
a shoulder to ride on.

You accept being bullied of the road by reckless drivers? Worse, you
seem to participate in the bullying.

I accept facts. A person on bike is no match for a 3000lb vehicle and
that's why I try my hardest to stay the hell out of their way.

* * * * * * * * * * * *I look at it like this. When riding, I'm just
another bump in the road to someone driving a 3000 lb vehicle, and I
stay way the heck out of their way. Having the right of way doesn't mean
crap when you're dead or in the hospital. if you want to live to my age
(64) or older, I'd suggest you not worry to much about the rules and
stay the hell out of their way. People these days have little respect
for anyone, much less cyclist.

And you think you'll gain any respect by cowering in the gutter?

Yes. It's called common courtesy. The roads were built for automobiles
that can go a lot faster than I can on a bike. I give them the right of
way because it doesn't bother me to do so, and I stay safer because of
it. Recently, I woman jogging on a hiking trail was killed in Dallas when
a cyclist ran into her. She had the right of way too for all the good it
did her.- Hide quoted text -

Le Mahns factor ? this one ima gonna pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah so blow your nose first FI
twink the bell.
canu belive these racer types ?
no freakin bell ?
Old February 4th 11, 07:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

T•m Sherm∆n wrote:

Wes Newell wrote:

They [car drivers] do have the right to the roadway. They pay for it with license fees
and gas taxes. Cyclist don't pay for it. We are just allowed to use it.[...]

B Â* Â* Â* U Â* Â* Â* L Â* Â* Â* L Â* Â* Â* S Â* Â* Â* H Â* Â* Â* I Â* Â* Â* T Â* Â* Â* !

Local roads are paid for almost entirely by property taxes; and license
fees and fuel taxes do *not* cover the externalities of motor vehicle
use. Â*Cycling is a *right*, motor vehicle use is a *privilege*.

Don't waste your breath. Homecheese is suffering from all the banal
motorist deranged notions, and to make matters worse he is oblivious
to fundamental ethical principles regarding motor vehicles and their
relationship to other road users.

It's going to take prolonged separation from his car to break the
spell.

Chalo
Old February 4th 11, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Wes Newell

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 10:46:55 +1100, James wrote:

Is it really the law for cyclists to be riding single file where you
are? It's not in Victoria, Australia, though many cyclists and
motorists here don't know the law in this regard.

You decide.:-)

Sec. 551.103. Operation on Roadway.

(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person operating a bicycle on
a roadway who is moving slower than the other traffic on the roadway
shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the
roadway, unless:

(1) the person is passing another vehicle moving in the same direction;

(2) the person is preparing to turn left at an intersection or onto a
private road or driveway; or

(3) a condition on or of the roadway, including a fixed or moving object,
parked or moving vehicle, pedestrian, animal, or surface hazard prevents
the person from safely riding next to the right curb or edge of the
roadway.

(4) the person is operating a bicycle in an outside lane that is:
(A) less than 14 feet in width and does not have a designated bicycle
lane adjacent to that lane; or

(B) too narrow for a bicycle and a motor vehicle to safely travel
side by side.

(b) A person operating a bicycle on a one-way roadway with two or more
marked traffic lanes may ride as near as practicable to the left curb or
edge of the roadway.

(c) Persons operating bicycles on a roadway may ride two abreast. Persons
riding two abreast on a laned roadway shall ride in a single lane.
Persons riding two abreast may not impede the normal and reasonable flow
of traffic on the roadway. Persons may not ride more than two abreast
unless they are riding on a part of a roadway set aside for the exclusive
operation of bicycles.
Old February 4th 11, 08:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Wes Newell

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 19:15:22 -0600, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:

Is the lane wide enough for a motor vehicle to pass single-file cyclists
*safely* without crossing the center-line? If not, the cyclists
*should* be far enough out into the lane, for the overtaking traffic to
have to wait to overtake until the other lane is clear of oncoming
traffic. Vehicular Cycling 101. Maybe you should enroll in one of
Frank Krygowski's classes:

That'll get you killed around here. But you can ride however you want.
It's not my life.
Old February 4th 11, 08:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Wes Newell

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 19:20:51 -0600, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:

[...]

I don't know what country you are from but all but residential community
roads here are paid for with federal, state, and/or city/county taxes.
The state and feds get this money from gas taxes at the pump among other
ways. And they get a lot. Something like $.60 for every gallon of gas
sold. So, some city, all county, all state, and all federal highways are
paid for with these taxes, not individual property taxes.