Road Racing Tires - Opinion Request

Old July 1st 04, 01:54 AM
Churchill

Default Road Racing Tires - Opinion Request

Hello,

I have a road bike with 700 X 28 tires.

I need new tires, what are u recommending for thin racing type tires. I go
cycling on Sundays with a club about 100 km both flats and hills. I know
there are allot of tire companies out there, so I could use a hand before I
order them or go looking for them.

Thank you

Old July 1st 04, 02:31 AM
Richard Adams

Churchill wrote:
Hello,

I have a road bike with 700 X 28 tires.

I need new tires, what are u recommending for thin racing type tires. I go
cycling on Sundays with a club about 100 km both flats and hills. I know
there are allot of tire companies out there, so I could use a hand before I
order them or go looking for them.

Thank you

I'm 6'2" ~175lb and ride 23's at 120 psi. Prefer Michilin Hi-Lite's or
Carbons, avging 1000 miles per puncture (knock wood) When I rode on
Hutchinson Carbon Comps I got a flat almost every time out, as I've been
informed, due to my higher weight. They apparently serve riders ~140 lb
much better.

Old July 1st 04, 02:50 AM
Davey Crockett

"Churchill" writes:

Hello,

I have a road bike with 700 X 28 tires.

I need new tires, what are u recommending for thin racing type tires. I go
cycling on Sundays with a club about 100 km both flats and hills. I know
there are allot of tire companies out there, so I could use a hand before I
order them or go looking for them.

Thank you

You will not go far wrong with Michelin Pro-Race. I use glue ons myself, but
Michelin, whether glued or wired on, are exceptional value for money.

--
le Vent a Dos. Davey Crockett
http://petition.eurolinux.org ; http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html
Old July 1st 04, 03:20 AM
Churchill

"Richard Adams" wrote in message
Churchill wrote:
Hello,

I have a road bike with 700 X 28 tires.

I need new tires, what are u recommending for thin racing type tires. I

go
cycling on Sundays with a club about 100 km both flats and hills. I

know
there are allot of tire companies out there, so I could use a hand

before I
order them or go looking for them.

Thank you

I'm 6'2" ~175lb and ride 23's at 120 psi. Prefer Michilin Hi-Lite's or
Carbons, avging 1000 miles per puncture (knock wood) When I rode on
Hutchinson Carbon Comps I got a flat almost every time out, as I've been
informed, due to my higher weight. They apparently serve riders ~140 lb
much better.

What would be the difference between 23's and 28's ??

What does the 700 stand for ??

700 X 28

Thanks

Old July 1st 04, 03:38 AM
Dan Daniel

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:54:58 -0400, "Churchill" wrote:

Hello,

I have a road bike with 700 X 28 tires.

I need new tires, what are u recommending for thin racing type tires. I go
cycling on Sundays with a club about 100 km both flats and hills. I know
there are allot of tire companies out there, so I could use a hand before I
order them or go looking for them.

Thank you

If you are keeping up with the club rides, why do you want to change?
What don't you like about the present tires (what *are* the present
tires?)? What are you expecting to get out of thin tires?

http://www.roadbikereview.com/Tires-...S_2489crx.aspx

I really like Vredestein Fortezzas. Right now I have 23mm, but the
next set will be 25mm.
Old July 1st 04, 03:40 AM
Dan Daniel

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:20:51 -0400, "Churchill" wrote:

What does the 700 stand for ??

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html
Old July 1st 04, 04:10 AM
Churchill

"Dan Daniel" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:54:58 -0400, "Churchill" wrote:

Hello,

I have a road bike with 700 X 28 tires.

I need new tires, what are u recommending for thin racing type tires. I

go
cycling on Sundays with a club about 100 km both flats and hills. I know
there are allot of tire companies out there, so I could use a hand before

order them or go looking for them.

Thank you

If you are keeping up with the club rides, why do you want to change?
What don't you like about the present tires (what *are* the present
tires?)? What are you expecting to get out of thin tires?

http://www.roadbikereview.com/Tires-...S_2489crx.aspx

I really like Vredestein Fortezzas. Right now I have 23mm, but the
next set will be 25mm.

Hi,

I was on my second set of 700 X 28 and they needed to be replaced. I picked
up my bike today and they had 700 X 28 Continental GatorSkins. I noticed
they were a little wider than my previous 700 X 28s, so I thought I would
ask here on the newsgroup.

Subsequent to my first post, I have gone to three websites, Continental,
Michelin and the one you posted above. I believe I should have gone with
the 23mm or perhaps the 25mm's.

Oh well, it is to late to change now, perhaps next year.

Is there a significant difference between these sizes for Sunday club
cyclists ? Would I notice 'significant' less drag and more force ?

Cordially

Old July 1st 04, 05:09 AM
LAN Support

Stick with the wider tyres. They will be substantially more comfortable on
any sort of bumpy road and very little slower. They will also, on the
average, last longer.

Nick

m...

Old July 1st 04, 05:20 AM
Ron Abramson

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 01:50:11 +0000, Davey Crockett wrote:

You will not go far wrong with Michelin Pro-Race. I use glue ons myself,
but Michelin, whether glued or wired on, are exceptional value for
money.

I agree - I have these in the 700 x 25 size. I can't tell any difference
in rolling resistance vs. 23s, but they sure do ride smooth, plus they are
much better than 23s on occasional dirt and crappy surfaces. I had
trouble with some out-of-round casings on these -- stay away from the
super-discount web tire deals.

Big Sur mcmiller General 2 May 15th 04 12:04 AM
Narrow road tires for Clydesdales?.... smokey General 15 February 24th 04 01:26 PM
Good place to buy cheap, tough tires for road training? Boyd Speerschneider General 2 October 5th 03 01:44 PM
Road Tires Kegger General 1 August 4th 03 12:41 AM
3 MTB road tires to compare Warren Ginn General 0 July 31st 03 04:52 AM