Road Tires - Reviews ??

Old July 8th 04, 09:30 PM
Curtis L. Russell

Default Road Tires - Reviews ??

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:01:19 GMT, "bfd" wrote:

No, these are normal Contis. They've been customized, though. The
rubber has been removed to save weight.

--

Really!? Where did you hear this? I don't believe Conti "removes" rubber
from their tire to save weight.

"The rubber" versus "rubber" - probably a bit of throwaway humor. "The
rubber" wouldn't be removed from any tire using rubber or anything
close.

I kind of like the term throwaway humor for tires without rubber, but
I can't really make it work right now. Gotta be a good pun in there
somewhere...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old July 8th 04, 09:46 PM
Stewart Fleming

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

I kind of like the term throwaway humor for tires without rubber, but
I can't really make it work right now. Gotta be a good pun in there
somewhere...

"Continental: for when the rubber hits the road."

Old July 9th 04, 04:53 PM
Carl Sundquist

"bfd" wrote in message

No, these are normal Contis. They've been customized, though. The
rubber has been removed to save weight.

--

Really!? Where did you hear this? I don't believe Conti "removes" rubber
from their tire to save weight.

He doesn't have it quite right. Conti customized their tires with a special
liquid to minimize rolling resistance. It's not new, though.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/1...results99.html :

See "Tech notes" just above results.

Other teams not sponsored by Conti try to compensate by improving their
efficiency via synchronized pedaling.

Old July 9th 04, 11:11 PM
bfd

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message ...
"bfd" wrote in message

No, these are normal Contis. They've been customized, though. The
rubber has been removed to save weight.

--

Really!? Where did you hear this? I don't believe Conti "removes" rubber
from their tire to save weight.

He doesn't have it quite right. Conti customized their tires with a special
liquid to minimize rolling resistance. It's not new, though.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/1...results99.html :

See "Tech notes" just above results.

Interesting. I guess since Team Phonak is using Conti, maybe this
"special liquid" is the cause for so many crashes on stages 3 and 4 of
this year's Tour....(actually, the crashes were probably due to the
poor decision to use a 19mm wide *track* tubular tires, which were not
designed for either road use or rain, on a rainy, no make that stormy
day! Not too bright.....
Old July 10th 04, 04:49 PM
USENET(at)BIKESonTV.com

BFD:
Actually, the air was removed from the tires to save weight Grin.
Cheers,
Bruce

bfd wrote:

Really!? Where did you hear this? I don't believe Conti "removes" rubber
from their tire to save weight. Exactly which tires are these teams using
that they "remove" rubber from their tires? If you're referring to "pro"
cycling teams, then you must be referring to Cont's tubular tires. If so,
why wouldn't these "teams" just use Conti track tubular tires? Conti offers
3 levels of track tubular tires:

http://www.bikemine.com/Pages/Conti/...ctBlankSet.htm

Those are "lighter" than their normal "road" tubular tires because they have
"less rubber". However, these same track tubular tires are also more
susceptible to flats, and thus, not recommended for road use. Why would any
team use these tires outside of a track? So, what tires are you referring
to?

Road Racing Tires - Opinion Request Churchill General 60 July 7th 04 10:40 PM
Big Sur mcmiller General 2 May 15th 04 12:04 AM
Road Tires Kegger General 1 August 4th 03 12:41 AM
3 MTB road tires to compare Warren Ginn General 0 July 31st 03 04:52 AM