middle school bike-a-thon prize

Old September 29th 04, 01:31 AM
Claire Petersky

Default middle school bike-a-thon prize

In my copious, copious free time I am the Vice President of the Highland
Middle School Music Booster Club. Our chief fundraiser is a Bike-a-Thon.
(No, it wasn't my idea -- I came on to the Booster Club just this year). Our
prize for the best fund-raising kid is a K2 Reaper. It looks like this:

http://www.epinions.com/bicycles_200...ay_~full_specs

I figured that this would be a cool enough bike for middle schoolers. Yes,
we're paying for it -- $139 on a close-out. Next year, we'll have enough
lead time we can get something donated. But when someone said we should just
go down to *mart (actually, Fred Meyer) and get a hundred dollar bike, this
is what I came up with as a reasonable alternative.

Do you think this was a decent choice? Now that I put the money down for it,
I'm freaking out maybe I could have done better.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old September 29th 04, 03:58 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

In my copious, copious free time I am the Vice President of the Highland
Middle School Music Booster Club. Our chief fundraiser is a Bike-a-Thon.
(No, it wasn't my idea -- I came on to the Booster Club just this year).
Our
prize for the best fund-raising kid is a K2 Reaper. It looks like this:

http://www.epinions.com/bicycles_200...ay_~full_specs

I figured that this would be a cool enough bike for middle schoolers. Yes,
we're paying for it -- $139 on a close-out. Next year, we'll have enough
lead time we can get something donated. But when someone said we should
just
go down to *mart (actually, Fred Meyer) and get a hundred dollar bike,
this
is what I came up with as a reasonable alternative.

Clai Bike shops get hit up for donations constantly, and most likely
can't afford to give a bike away. But we came up with a solution that has
seemed to work well for many. We take a bike that normally sells for about
$250 (typically a TREK 3500 etc) and sell it to them, below cost, for $110.
We offer this to any non-profit group that's running a fund-raiser, and it's
worked out very well. We couldn't afford to sell a zillion at that price,
but we can afford to help out a whole lot more people than we could if we
were choosing who to give one away to.

You might approach a local shop and see if they'd be willing to do something
like that. You don't know until you try (and somehow I don't see you as the
shy kid on the block)!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 29th 04, 04:49 AM
Claire Petersky

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

The assistant manager of the place who is selling me this BMX bike is the
one who has encouraged me to do take the lead time next year and get the
bike donated to us. I know him when he was the floor manager of my current
bike shop, and he thought it was well worth it to approach his boss. The
bike-a-thon though is this weekend, and we (well, I) just don't have the
time to do the necessary paper work this year.

I know what you mean about getting hit up a lot, though -- I know from
working for the United Way that some businesses get it worse than others.

Old September 29th 04, 03:49 PM
Claire Petersky

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message

So, can I um, enter your Bike-a-Thon?

Sure, get a couple of sponsors, and meet us at Marymoor Park in Redmond at
9:00 AM on Saturday morning. Do you think you can handle 30 miles round trip
on the flat?

Old September 29th 04, 11:21 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Bill Baka wrote:

Please get some pictures if any adults try riding those 20" BMX bikes.
I could use a laugh.

But...but... Didn't you say you're riding a purple girl's bike you
originally bought for your daughter???

Bill "we DEMAND pics" S.

Old September 30th 04, 12:04 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:21:57 GMT, ,
"B i l l S o r n s o n" wrote:

But...but... Didn't you say you're riding a purple girl's bike you
originally bought for your daughter???

Bill "we DEMAND pics" S.

Speak for yourself.
--
zk
Old September 30th 04, 03:41 AM
David Reuteler

Zoot Katz wrote:

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:21:57 GMT, ,
"B i l l S o r n s o n" wrote:

But...but... Didn't you say you're riding a purple girl's bike you
originally bought for your daughter???

Bill "we DEMAND pics" S.

Speak for yourself.

well, i'm 180ing on this. let's just see the photo and get this over with.
i'm betting good money on a kind of '00s slightly older somewhat crazed and
scruffier version of grizzly adams

http://www.grizzlyadams.net/setPhoto...grizzrifle.jpg

like maybe this:

http://gxpmall.bizland.com/ted_kaczynski.jpg
--
david reuteler

Old September 30th 04, 03:55 AM
Bill Baka

On 30 Sep 2004 02:41:22 GMT, David Reuteler wrote:

Zoot Katz wrote:

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:21:57 GMT, ,
"B i l l S o r n s o n" wrote:

But...but... Didn't you say you're riding a purple girl's bike you
originally bought for your daughter???

Bill "we DEMAND pics" S.

Speak for yourself.

well, i'm 180ing on this. let's just see the photo and get this over
with.
i'm betting good money on a kind of '00s slightly older somewhat crazed
and
scruffier version of grizzly adams

http://www.grizzlyadams.net/setPhoto...grizzrifle.jpg

like maybe this:

http://gxpmall.bizland.com/ted_kaczynski.jpg

Not even close. No beard.
Hah!
Whaddya mean settle a bet?
Bill Baka

Old October 1st 04, 02:03 AM
Hunrobe

David Reuteler

wrote in part:

i'm betting good money on a kind of '00s slightly older somewhat crazed and
scruffier version of grizzly adams

http://www.grizzlyadams.net/setPhoto...grizzrifle.jpg

like maybe this:

http://gxpmall.bizland.com/ted_kaczynski.jpg

Is it just coincidence that you picked two convicted felons' photos or are you
trying to tell us something?
(Bill--- It's all in fun. He could have posted links to a sex offender site
after all.)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old October 1st 04, 04:35 AM
Bill Baka

On 01 Oct 2004 01:03:19 GMT, Hunrobe wrote:

David Reuteler

wrote in part:

i'm betting good money on a kind of '00s slightly older somewhat crazed
and
scruffier version of grizzly adams

http://www.grizzlyadams.net/setPhoto...grizzrifle.jpg

like maybe this:

http://gxpmall.bizland.com/ted_kaczynski.jpg

Is it just coincidence that you picked two convicted felons' photos or
are you
trying to tell us something?
(Bill--- It's all in fun. He could have posted links to a sex offender
site
after all.)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Hey, I have been busy climbing trees with my grandkids and not riding,
but I let them have the camera so the best you can hope for is a
shakey picture of me about 20' up in a tree. Walked to the park and
showed the kids how to properly climb a tree. Then I got complaints
for not wanting to play tag on the monkey bars. Gotta draw the line
somewhere. I may put a pic up for you guys just to get past this blip.
It was kind of worth it to see the look on a younger grannies face when
she walked by and we were all in the tree, like "What the ?????".
Acting your age is over-rated.
Bill Baka