Bad fitting bike and I feel guilty

Old October 8th 04, 03:42 PM
dgk

Default Bad fitting bike and I feel guilty

Several years back I started to get into cycling and bought a Trek
mountain bike. I forget the model but it was around $700. I noticed
that if I didn't wear bike shorts or at least very tight underwear
that it hurt my nuts when I pedaled. Plus, my butt got numb after 10
miles or so. I'd adjust the seat height and tilt but it was just never
really comfortable without that good lift. Still, I used it a fair
amount, just wore bike shorts.

But that bike was too expensive to leave anywhere so I bought a
succession of cheapos ($100-140) to bring into the city or ride to
stores or anywhere that I would have to leave it for a while.

Starting this May I've become a bike commuter, around 25 miles
roundtrip into Manhattan. The cheapo bikes aren't really good for
putting lots of miles on, so I bought a Trek 7100 (I think, it's
locked outside at the moment) for around $300. A hybrid sort of
comfort bike.

I love it. It isn't so expensive that it is a huge theft target. It is
very high but this is what the guy at the LBS said I should have. He
was right. It is a pleasure to ride. I don't need bike shorts to keep
my nuts from getting cracked. My butt doesn't get numb.

I've put about 1300 miles on it already. If I go on a bike trip on a
weekend, I take it.

My nice Trek MB is hanging in the garage. I haven't ridden it in two
months. I feel guilty. It looks at me when I go for the new one. HEY,
I COST MUCH MORE!!!

Maybe I should just sell it.
Old October 8th 04, 06:22 PM
the black rose

dgk wrote:
Several years back I started to get into cycling and bought a Trek
mountain bike. I forget the model but it was around $700. I noticed
that if I didn't wear bike shorts or at least very tight underwear
that it hurt my nuts when I pedaled. Plus, my butt got numb after 10
miles or so. I'd adjust the seat height and tilt but it was just never
really comfortable without that good lift. Still, I used it a fair
amount, just wore bike shorts.

Sounds like your saddle doesn't suit your anatomy. Try looking at
different saddles -- some bike shops will let you borrow a saddle to try
for a day, if they know you, and others have generous return policies.
It's worth a shot.

-km
Old October 8th 04, 06:34 PM
dgk

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 17:22:38 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

dgk wrote:
Several years back I started to get into cycling and bought a Trek
mountain bike. I forget the model but it was around $700. I noticed
that if I didn't wear bike shorts or at least very tight underwear
that it hurt my nuts when I pedaled. Plus, my butt got numb after 10
miles or so. I'd adjust the seat height and tilt but it was just never
really comfortable without that good lift. Still, I used it a fair
amount, just wore bike shorts.

Sounds like your saddle doesn't suit your anatomy. Try looking at
different saddles -- some bike shops will let you borrow a saddle to try
for a day, if they know you, and others have generous return policies.
It's worth a shot.

-km

I did replace the saddle. I got one of those split down the middle
jobs. It was better after that. I'll try moving it around some more.
Old October 8th 04, 06:44 PM
Bill Sornson

wrote:

Sounds like your saddle doesn't suit your anatomy. Try looking at
different saddles -- some bike shops will let you borrow a saddle to
try for a day, if they know you, and others have generous return
policies. It's worth a shot.

I did replace the saddle. I got one of those split down the middle
jobs. It was better after that. I'll try moving it around some more.

Why not swap a saddle you KNOW is comfortable (like the one from your new
hybrid bike or whatever it is), and see how that works? If you still can't
find relief, then you'll know it's the frame/size/geometry/etc. and not the
seat.

Bill "eliminator" S.

Old October 8th 04, 07:27 PM
dgk

wrote:

Sounds like your saddle doesn't suit your anatomy. Try looking at
different saddles -- some bike shops will let you borrow a saddle to
try for a day, if they know you, and others have generous return
policies. It's worth a shot.

I did replace the saddle. I got one of those split down the middle
jobs. It was better after that. I'll try moving it around some more.

Why not swap a saddle you KNOW is comfortable (like the one from your new
hybrid bike or whatever it is), and see how that works? If you still can't
find relief, then you'll know it's the frame/size/geometry/etc. and not the
seat.

Bill "eliminator" S.

Fair enough. I'll try that.
Old October 8th 04, 08:16 PM
Running Bear

dgk wrote in message . ..

Maybe I should just sell it.

If the two bikes have the same frame size, perhaps your LBS could help
you re-fit the new one with respect to the old one in terms of saddle,
pedals, and handlebar positions. They may do so for a nominal fee,
however.
Old October 8th 04, 08:38 PM
Running Bear

dgk wrote in message . ..

Maybe I should just sell it.

CORRECTION to my previous post: I actually meant re-fitting your old
bike (Trek MTB) with respect to the new one (Trek 7100). Hope the
context makes this clear!
Old October 8th 04, 11:22 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

Maybe you should ride your MTB on the weekends, maybe with a club or a
group of friends.

Y'know, for fun?

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old October 9th 04, 12:51 AM
Blair P. Houghton

dgk wrote:
Very different sizes. I'm not sure what the old one is, but the new
one is a big guy. I'll find out the facts.

Interesting. Bigger usually means you're bent over more,
to reach the bars, which usually means you're more likely
to start mashing soft tissue on the seat.

Are the saddles the same shape? Maybe the new saddle has
you sitting up on your sit-bones (two little loops at the
base of your pelvis*) rather than your perineum (the mushy
bit between your bearings and your manhole).

Sitting directly on your sit-bones makes a *huge* difference in
soft-tissue pain (as long as you wear padding to protect
the skin on the bones) and a somewhat noticeable difference
in ease of pedalling. But, honestly, I don't even do it for
more than 50% of a ride, and probably need a seat adjustment.

Also check the seat-tubes for angle and set-back. You may
be able to get a new seatpost with a different setback
and make the old bike as comfortable as the new one.

--Blair
"If that doesn't work, I know
a guy with a blowtorch."

* - usually people say you're sitting on your ischia,
but the part of the loop at the inside-bottom when you
lean forward is more likely your inferior pubic ramus.
http://www.vh.org/adult/provider/rad...Oblique10.html