Looking for a vest

Old October 16th 04, 04:35 AM
the black rose

Default Looking for a vest

It's cold. I need a vest. An insulating vest that will fit nicely
under my windbreaker. I'm thinking thermax maybe? Polartec? Something
like that. You get the idea. Something light enough to wear and still
be able to move, but provides some core warmth.

I checked the usual stores around here and there was nothing.
Everything was either too heavy (think skiing) or too light (think jogging).

So I googled and got more results than I know what to do with. And
besides, I've never heard of most of those companies and would hesitate
to order from them.

So does anybody have a recommendation for a decent online source for
lightweight-but-nice-and-warm vests? What's you're favorite online
place for outerwear that's good for cycling?

Thanks in advance.

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old October 16th 04, 04:38 AM
Ken

the black rose wrote in
:
So does anybody have a recommendation for a decent online source for
lightweight-but-nice-and-warm vests? What's you're favorite online
place for outerwear that's good for cycling?

Pearl Izumi Barrier vest. It is made from lightweight fleece for warmth,
plus a windblocker front. When cycling in cold weather, the windblocker is
just as important as the insulation.
Old October 16th 04, 05:13 AM
Jeff Starr

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 03:35:08 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

So does anybody have a recommendation for a decent online source for
lightweight-but-nice-and-warm vests? What's you're favorite online
place for outerwear that's good for cycling?

Thanks in advance.

-km

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1130

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old October 16th 04, 05:31 AM
Booker C. Bense

Old October 16th 04, 05:58 AM
Terry Morse

the black rose wrote:

So does anybody have a recommendation for a decent online source for
lightweight-but-nice-and-warm vests? What's you're favorite online
place for outerwear that's good for cycling?

A fleece vest with stretch side panels and a windstopper front would
be ideal for cold weather riding. And you can't go wrong when
dealing with Sierra Trading Post for great prices and great service:

http://tinyurl.com/3pylw

Lots to choose from there.
Old October 16th 04, 07:30 PM
Badger_South

wrote:

It's cold. I need a vest. An insulating vest that will fit nicely
under my windbreaker. I'm thinking thermax maybe? Polartec? Something
like that. You get the idea. Something light enough to wear and still
be able to move, but provides some core warmth.

What about putting those sheep to work, knitting you one? ;-D

I checked the usual stores around here and there was nothing.
Everything was either too heavy (think skiing) or too light (think jogging).

So I googled and got more results than I know what to do with. And
besides, I've never heard of most of those companies and would hesitate
to order from them.

So does anybody have a recommendation for a decent online source for
lightweight-but-nice-and-warm vests? What's you're favorite online
place for outerwear that's good for cycling?

I always go to the 'second hand' shops and look for cool stuff made out of
wool. Ppl will often donate stuff with imperfections or holes, and heck, I
could care less if something has a little hole for bikewear.

-B

Thanks in advance.

-km

Old October 16th 04, 11:52 PM
Blair P. Houghton

the black rose wrote:
So does anybody have a recommendation for a decent online source for
lightweight-but-nice-and-warm vests? What's you're favorite online
place for outerwear that's good for cycling?

PerformanceBike.Com, SuperGo.Com, Nashbar.Com, all has a
ton of stuff online, and more in their snail-mail catalogs.

This bookmark lists a bunch as well:
http://www.bikeride.com/links/bikeshops.asp

Ordering clothes online is a total crapshoot. I've ordered
two nearly-identical jerseys (same manufacturer (Nalini)
for two different teams) in two different sizes (to
determine which would be the better fit and exchange
the other) and discovered they were almost exactly the
same fit (and luckily the right fit; I still wear both
regularly). I've also ordered shirts from size-conscious
websites that were specified in chest-measurement inches
that showed up 10 inches larger (I kid you not) but marked
exactly as advertised.

So ymmv.

--Blair
"This is the easy part. Picking a
world leader should be and is harder."
Old October 17th 04, 12:29 AM
Jeff Starr

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 22:52:40 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

the black rose wrote:
So does anybody have a recommendation for a decent online source for
lightweight-but-nice-and-warm vests? What's you're favorite online
place for outerwear that's good for cycling?

PerformanceBike.Com, SuperGo.Com, Nashbar.Com, all has a
ton of stuff online, and more in their snail-mail catalogs.

Actually, Performance and Nashbar offer more online, than in their
catalogs.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old October 17th 04, 02:09 AM
Mike Kruger

"the black rose" wrote in message
It's cold. I need a vest. An insulating vest that will fit nicely
under my windbreaker. I'm thinking thermax maybe? Polartec? Something
like that. You get the idea. Something light enough to wear and still
be able to move, but provides some core warmth.

So does anybody have a recommendation for a decent online source for
lightweight-but-nice-and-warm vests? What's you're favorite online
place for outerwear that's good for cycling?

I've had good luck with winter gear from Col d'Lizard (formerly Gekko Gear).
http://www.coldlizard.com/cgi/wc.dll?GEKKO~catalog
I've bought a vest, a couple pair of tights, three pairs of shorts, and a
neck gaiter from them over the years, so I guess you could say I'm a
satisfied customer. I usually buy at the end of the season

The vest I have is 100% polyester (fleece) and was made in the USA. I wear
it mostly under a windbreaker, or when it's almost warm enough for just a
jersey, but not quite.

Old October 17th 04, 01:02 PM
GHOF

I just saw thermal underware at Target - shirt and pants $6.00 ea.

RRon