Attach to trainer: New bicycle or old bicycle

Old October 19th 04, 03:36 AM
Reid Priedhorsky

Default Attach to trainer: New bicycle or old bicycle

Greetings folks,

I've just purchased a trainer. In my very tiny apartment I have room for
exactly one bicycle, and for the next few months the bicycle in my
apartment will be attached to the trainer (the other one goes into storage
and is accessible with a bit of a drive).

The decision, then, is: do I attach the shiny new 2004, which is very
comfortable and I've gotten used to over the summer, or do I attach the
old 1983 Trek, which is not shiny or new but is also no longer very
comfortable?

What I'm leaning towards is, if it won't cause any significant harm to my
new bike I would like to use it for the trainer. The cassette and chain
are now second-string, since I have a fabulous new custom cassette waiting
to be installed in the spring.

Thanks for any input/advice,

Reid
Old October 19th 04, 05:01 AM
Jeff Starr

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:36:00 -0500, Reid Priedhorsky
wrote:

Greetings folks,

I've just purchased a trainer. In my very tiny apartment I have room for
exactly one bicycle, and for the next few months the bicycle in my
apartment will be attached to the trainer (the other one goes into storage
and is accessible with a bit of a drive).

The decision, then, is: do I attach the shiny new 2004, which is very
comfortable and I've gotten used to over the summer, or do I attach the
old 1983 Trek, which is not shiny or new but is also no longer very
comfortable?

What I'm leaning towards is, if it won't cause any significant harm to my
new bike I would like to use it for the trainer. The cassette and chain
are now second-string, since I have a fabulous new custom cassette waiting
to be installed in the spring.

Thanks for any input/advice,

Reid

I use my older bike, on the trainer. I just don't want to put that
kind of wear and tear on the LeMond. I have a rim drive, so tire wear
isn't an issue, but it just seems hard on the bike.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old October 19th 04, 06:47 AM
Gary

I would go for the bike that I intend to ride in the future. Sets your
muscles up better in the positioning for the work they are expected to
perform in the future.
Old October 19th 04, 05:42 PM
Thomas Reynolds

Reid Priedhorsky wrote in message ...
Greetings folks,

I've just purchased a trainer. In my very tiny apartment I have room for
exactly one bicycle, and for the next few months the bicycle in my
What I'm leaning towards is, if it won't cause any significant harm to my
new bike I would like to use it for the trainer. The cassette and chain
are now second-string, since I have a fabulous new custom cassette waiting
to be installed in the spring.

If you ride hard on the trainer you will sweat a lot and, unlike
riding outdoors, this sweat will fall directly on the front of your
bike causing corrosion. If you use your good bike do something to
protect it from your sweat. Riding in front of a fan will help as
well.

I have ridden on trainers for years. They can make a good workout and
provide a controlled environment to do some workouts that are
difficult to do outside.

Tom