Transporting a dog by bike?

Old March 27th 05, 03:35 AM
RonSonic

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 11:21:16 -0500, "David Wean" wrote:

Hi,

A cycling friend has a new dog, and is looking for advice and experience on
how others use their bikes to transport their canine friends.

He's a strong rider, and also accustomed to riding with all sorts of
trailers.

He borrowed a Burley kid trailer, and found that, while the trailer is large
enough, the configuration with the leg space, seat, and stowing area is such
that there's not really room for the 40 lb dog to sit or lie comfortably.

He's seen a "dog trailer" advertised, but it's pricy (~$400?). He's heard
about some sort of semirigid leash that allows the dog to run alongside or
behind, but is dubious.

Does anyone have any experience (success or failure) they can share?

Thanks,

David Wean, whose cats mostly stay home

You could do it the way this guy does, but then you'd probably get the same sort
of comments.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.ph...t=594& page=1

Ron
Old March 27th 05, 04:24 AM
S o r n i

RonSonic wrote:

You could do it the way this guy does, but then you'd probably get
the same sort of comments.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.ph...t=594& page=1

The "Alien" movie series has officially run out of new ideas.

Old March 27th 05, 04:27 AM
bbaka

RonSonic wrote:
On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 11:21:16 -0500, "David Wean" wrote:

Hi,

A cycling friend has a new dog, and is looking for advice and experience on
how others use their bikes to transport their canine friends.

Over what kind of distance?

He's a strong rider, and also accustomed to riding with all sorts of
trailers.

He borrowed a Burley kid trailer, and found that, while the trailer is large
enough, the configuration with the leg space, seat, and stowing area is such
that there's not really room for the 40 lb dog to sit or lie comfortably.

He's seen a "dog trailer" advertised, but it's pricy (~$400?). He's heard
about some sort of semirigid leash that allows the dog to run alongside or
behind, but is dubious.

Does anyone have any experience (success or failure) they can share?

Thanks,

David Wean, whose cats mostly stay home

I have some experience with the leash thing from when I was about 12-13
and had a dog between 40-50 pounds. The first attempt was with a leash
about 6 feet long and worked for the straight runs when my dog would
pull me. This was dog walking for the lazy at that time. The problems
came when my dog and I had different ideas about direction and she could
pull me down. A longer leash worked better but then I had to worry about
her running off and entangling the leash with a car. I gave up the
bicycle/leash/dog idea after about one week, so anyone that wants to
take a dog with them is probably best with a trailer. If taking a dog on
a long ride is the plan the trailer may be the way to go, pricey or not.
On a personal side note, the dog I had did great when leashed to a sled
with 4 or 5 kids on the iced up roads of Northern Illinois. She always
wanted to be a sled dog.

You could do it the way this guy does, but then you'd probably get the same sort
of comments.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.ph...t=594& page=1

Ron

I went there and saw that and it looks like a good way for that size of
dog, as long as you never go down. The dog might take the full hit and
be more than just a little hurt. Dog safety, too.

Bill Baka
Old March 27th 05, 05:09 AM
Tom Sherman

See http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/images/models/greyhound.jpg.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Old March 27th 05, 06:14 AM
maxo

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:09:32 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:

See http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/images/models/greyhound.jpg.

Hey, what kind of clown shoes is that guy wearing? I want a pair! (I think
they're kinda handsome actually) Seeing as they have no velcro, I'm
betting they're vintage that got drilled for clipless. :/

Old March 27th 05, 05:31 PM
Maggie

Tom Sherman wrote:
David Wean wrote:

Hi,

A cycling friend has a new dog, and is looking for advice and

experience on
how others use their bikes to transport their canine friends....

See http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/images/models/greyhound.jpg.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

That's a bizarre picture, but I won't write what I am thinking, since
it is Easter and I just arrived home from church. I need to stay
sinless for at least an hour. Maybe a half hour.
All Good Things,
Maggie....Already has her ticket to hell.

Old March 27th 05, 07:19 PM
Rangersfan

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was thinking the same thing. If you want to ride with your dog, get
one like Paris Hilton has. They fit in a bag nicely. She has her
little "twinkle belle" or whatever they hell its name is, inside her LV
purse all the time. I have a 100 lb dog that runs beside me, but when I
first came on this newsgroup, everyone discouraged me from riding with
a big dog beside me. So I stopped. I just ride around the backyard with
her by my side. I don't take her outdoors to ride along side of me. My
sons run her at night. On foot. I am glad I took the advice because I
probably would have been dead by now if she had seen a cat while we
were out riding.

I was thinking more along the lines of a sled dog complete with harness and
have it run in front. That way when you're going up a hill you could hollar
MUSH and the dog could help. A pack of sled dogs would be even better. If
anyone asks, you can just say that you're doing off season training for the
Iditarod. Of course a cat crossing your path could potentially be very
hazzardous so you'd need some type of quick release.

Old March 27th 05, 09:03 PM
Mike Kruger

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Maggie.
Who just wrote a big fat check for a wedding reception for

her daughter
and feels like stinking her head in the oven. THESE ARE THE

TIMES TO
JUMP ON THE BIKE AND RIDE.

What are reception costs running these days? About $8 a head,
including rent, food, unlimited bar and a DJ?

Old March 27th 05, 10:20 PM

This Iditarod? http://alaskaultrasport.com/

Old March 27th 05, 11:56 PM

David Wean wrote:
[...]

One of my best biking buddies used to take his dog on lots of rides.
I'm talking about bike club rides (slow to moderate paced ones) up to
30 miles.

His dog, Campy, weighed perhaps 35 pounds. John built his own trailer
to carry him. Very simple: A tubular rectangular frame, a carpeted
wooden platform, some scrap clear plastic to form a windshield (mud
shield?), rudimentary fenders (designed to keep Campy's paws out of the
spokes) and a hitch incorporating a spring for flexibility.

Campy loved it! Whenever John pedaled, Campy would imitate him,
bouncing along on alternating front paws. He'd jump off on command on
the uphills, then remount at the top. And if the bikes were parked, he
was built-in security.

Campy passed away about two years ago. He was a terrific dog, with an
almost telepathic link to John. We all miss him.

Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Techniques 0 June 1st 04 04:54 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Recumbent Biking 0 June 1st 04 04:49 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM