Saddle toughness?!?

Old March 28th 05, 02:13 PM
Ken Marcet

Default Saddle toughness?!?

I was curious about if it is possible / likely that after returning to
cycling that after several months of riding to develop tougher tissues on
the parts of your body that come in contact with the parts of the saddle?
Because I have noticed that my parts have not been irritated by my saddle as
much as they were when I first started riding again, even though my riding
times and distances have increased over the months that I have been cycling
again.
Ken
--
More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old March 28th 05, 02:28 PM
Peter Cole

Ken Marcet wrote:
I was curious about if it is possible / likely that after returning

cycling that after several months of riding to develop tougher

tissues on
the parts of your body that come in contact with the parts of the

saddle?
Because I have noticed that my parts have not been irritated by my

saddle as
much as they were when I first started riding again, even though my

riding
times and distances have increased over the months that I have been

cycling
again.

Yeah, that's pretty much how skin works.

Old March 28th 05, 03:29 PM
RonSonic

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:13:44 -0500, "Ken Marcet" wrote:

I was curious about if it is possible / likely that after returning to
cycling that after several months of riding to develop tougher tissues on
the parts of your body that come in contact with the parts of the saddle?
Because I have noticed that my parts have not been irritated by my saddle as
much as they were when I first started riding again, even though my riding
times and distances have increased over the months that I have been cycling
again.
Ken

Let's put it this way, people talk about saddles "breaking in" even when the
saddle under discussion is made of nylon and steel. Something's breaking in, but
I don't think it's the plastic and metal.

Ron

Old March 28th 05, 04:27 PM
Ken Marcet

wrote:

[...]

Well it seems to me that it would be similar to the tough skin you got on
your finger from the pencils that you used in school. Or skin that is on the
ball of your feet. Perhaps the plastic can break - in somewhat but I don't
think steel does!

Old March 28th 05, 07:08 PM
Maggie

Peter Cole wrote:
Ken Marcet wrote:
I was curious about if it is possible / likely that after returning

cycling that after several months of riding to develop tougher

tissues on
the parts of your body that come in contact with the parts of the

saddle?
Because I have noticed that my parts have not been irritated by my

saddle as
much as they were when I first started riding again, even though my

riding
times and distances have increased over the months that I have been

cycling
again.

Yeah, that's pretty much how skin works.

So if you ride a bike, the skin on your ass gets tough. OK, that is
the end of my riding career.
All Good Things,
Maggie

Old March 28th 05, 09:12 PM
Maggie

wrote:

[...]

OK, I finally came to the conclusion, that as a novice rider and being
so completely uninformed regarding anything "bicycle", I should look
for a NG that I know something about so I can contribute. Then I can
lurk here until I actually have something to post. YES, I will be
lurking. I enjoy a good LURK.

I already found a couple of NG's. One is screwballs.misc.
(KIDDING)...but it's a thought. I would fit in well there. I found a
few diet and exercise NG's. Now I will be posting here less. Everyone
say HOO-RAY...in unison. Let me hear a shout out.
Love and all good things....
Maggie
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html
http://www.walkamerica.org/lindabuset
http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/tahoe2004.html

Old March 28th 05, 10:02 PM
Blair P. Houghton

Maggie wrote:
So if you ride a bike, the skin on your ass gets tough. OK, that is
the end of my riding career.

No it doesn't. It tightens up. Along with the skin
everywhere else.

--Blair
"Get back on that horse."
Old March 28th 05, 10:03 PM
Blair P. Houghton

Ken Marcet wrote:
I was curious about if it is possible / likely that after returning to
cycling that after several months of riding to develop tougher tissues on
the parts of your body that come in contact with the parts of the saddle?

Took me about 3 weeks after a 12-year layoff. But I
also bought a new saddle with a longitudinal gap in the
perineal area because the first couple of days on my old
saddle were brutal.

Now I don't notice at all.

Losing fat in that spot has helped as well.

--Blair
"Had to raise my seat."
Old March 28th 05, 10:20 PM
Roger Zoul

Maggie wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
Ken Marcet wrote:
I was curious about if it is possible / likely that after returning

cycling that after several months of riding to develop tougher

tissues on
the parts of your body that come in contact with the parts of the

saddle?
Because I have noticed that my parts have not been irritated by my

saddle as
much as they were when I first started riding again, even though my

riding
times and distances have increased over the months that I have been

cycling
again.

Yeah, that's pretty much how skin works.

So if you ride a bike, the skin on your ass gets tough. OK, that is
the end of my riding career.

IME, it doesn't get tough enough for someone to notice, it just doesn't get
sore from riding (ie, tough).

Old March 28th 05, 10:35 PM
Neil Cherry

On 28 Mar 2005 12:12:21 -0800, Maggie wrote:
I already found a couple of NG's. One is screwballs.misc.

There are 61 groups (listed on the news server I use) that are
dedicated to 'kook's. I'll list these 2 of those that are curious:

alt.folklore.kooks
alt.usenet.kooks

Most likely they're filled with SPAM. BTW, I notice that the cloud
crew and Mikey V don't rate for their own newsgroup. Sorry Maggie you
don't even come near showing up on the radar screen. ;-)

Here's some stuff from a google on net kooks:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/9941/kooks1.html

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...=Google+Search

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry