Not able to ride ahead of the storm

Old March 31st 05, 09:21 PM
catzz66

Maggie wrote:

I rode a bike in august in Tampa. All I did was complain. It was about
110 with high humidity. I almost died. AND I WAS YOUNG THEN.
Maggie

Note to Maggie: Don't enter this ride.

http://www.hh100.org/index.php?optio...tpage&Itemid=1
Old March 31st 05, 09:39 PM
Bob M

On 31 Mar 2005 12:18:35 -0800, Maggie wrote:

catzz66 wrote:
Maggie wrote:

I rode a bike in august in Tampa. All I did was complain. It was

about
110 with high humidity. I almost died. AND I WAS YOUNG THEN.
Maggie

Note to Maggie: Don't enter this ride.

http://www.hh100.org/index.php?optio...tpage&Itemid=1

I think, I'm almost positive, in fact I am absolutely certain...I will
never, ever enter that ride. Unless I am reincarated as a really
strong, athletic stud or stud-ess in my next life.
That is wicked.
Maggie

Supposedly the wind is bad on that ride. There are also some torturous
rides out there.

--
Bob in CT
Old March 31st 05, 09:40 PM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 31 Mar 2005 07:02:45 -0800, , "GaryG"
wrote:

Hard Core, Claire!

GG

WTF else can you do when you're riding your bike in the real world?

When it's hailing? You can pull over underneath a bridge, or run into a
convenience store, and wait it out, or call the designated spousal unit.

She was almost home and the hail was brief. Being cold and wet you
really don't want to stop pedalling. I doubt hypothermia was affecting
her judgement when she decided to keep going. More likely the thought
of a hot cuppa and warm tub spurred her onward.

Cycling in Cascadia often means riding wet so it's not much of a
biggie with most folks I know. Hail generally isn't like that found
further east, it's smaller and softer. It stings at speed but doesn't
dent top-tubes.

Cycling in the real world, to me, means being self reliant.
--
zk
Old March 31st 05, 10:20 PM
Fritz M

Note to Maggie: Don't enter this ride.

The HHH was my first century back in the late 80s. It's a fun one :-)

I got caught in a pretty good hailstorm sometime last year. I was on
the return leg of a lunchtime ride, just a few miles from work. I was
on the Diagonal Highway between Boulder and Longmont when ominious,
dark, glowering clouds moved in then *pow* God opened up giant
ice-maker in the sky. At first it was cool -- the multi-toned *ping
ping ping* of ice hitting my aluminum frame like a crazy windchime --
but then it started hurting.

The storm didn't last long -- maybe three or four minutes before it
turned into a cold drizzle. At that point a young woman in a late-model
F250 pickup pulled alongside and asked if I wanted a ride. The hail had
stopped and I was almost to work so I declined.

RFM

Old April 1st 05, 12:20 AM
GaryG

wrote:

Hard Core, Claire!

GG

WTF else can you do when you're riding your bike in the real world?

When it's hailing? You can pull over underneath a bridge, or run into a
convenience store, and wait it out, or call the designated spousal unit.

She was almost home and the hail was brief. Being cold and wet you
really don't want to stop pedalling. I doubt hypothermia was affecting
her judgement when she decided to keep going. More likely the thought
of a hot cuppa and warm tub spurred her onward.

Cycling in Cascadia often means riding wet so it's not much of a
biggie with most folks I know. Hail generally isn't like that found
further east, it's smaller and softer. It stings at speed but doesn't
dent top-tubes.

Cycling in the real world, to me, means being self reliant.

With darkness and hail, in rush hour traffic with cell-phone blabbing
commuters, I'd pull over in my "real world". Thankfully, I live where I can
ride year round without reliance on Gore-Tex.

FWIW, I've ridden down Red Mountain pass in Colorado under similar
conditions, but there were few cars on the road due to a mudslide just
behind us (although the 300 foot drop-offs in the switchbacks certainly got
my attention). Thankfully, there was a really nice public hot springs in
Ouray.

GG

--
zk

Old April 1st 05, 01:05 AM
RonSonic

On 31 Mar 2005 11:51:01 -0800, "Maggie" wrote:

RonSonic wrote:
If you EVER hear me complain about riding in Florida you just slap me

like the
silly sissy it would take to complain about riding in Florida.

Ron

I rode a bike in august in Tampa. All I did was complain. It was about
110 with high humidity. I almost died. AND I WAS YOUNG THEN.

Still better than the Midwest in the summer.

Best thing about cycling is the evaporative effect of wind on sweat. Ride smooth
and fast and you don't get the dripping sweaties.

Ron
Old April 1st 05, 01:49 AM
Neil Cherry

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:58:55 GMT, H M Leary wrote:
In article ,
Neil Cherry wrote:

snip

A few years ago my friends and I did a double century. On the day of
the ride a tropical storm hit. The first half was wet and humid but
not bad (86F). On the second half we got hit with the rain. It was
then I learned that I wasn't getting any wetter riding in the rain
than I was riding with the sun. At one point we were at a rest stop
and it began to pour! Everyone except the cyclists ran for cover,
quite ammusing to see. BTW, that day Phili got 9" of rain in one hour
and we were about 30 miles from Phili. Later during the eye of the
storm we got sun burn! Since that ride I've experienced rain with
temperatures in the 40's (nasty!), a white out, thunderstorms and 100+
F temperatures. Just not all at once. I've not experienced hail and I
keep the snow rides to a minimum.

YO! Neil?

Where is Phili?

Hey shoot me, I'm from the Bwonx! ;-)

Sorry about that for some reason I insist on spelling it that way.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old April 1st 05, 02:48 AM
Claire Petersky

"GaryG" wrote in message

WTF else can you do when you're riding your bike in the real world?

When it's hailing? You can pull over underneath a bridge, or run into a
convenience store, and wait it out, or call the designated spousal unit.

The best part about bike commuting is that you don't choose to ride, you
just ride. It's what you do. The night before you set out your bike clothes
and after that alarm goes off at 6:00 AM, you just put them on. You eat
breakfast and off you go. No "it's too dark/cold/wet/windy to ride today".
There's no decision to be made about whether or not it's going to happen.
And then, you pretty much don't have to decide to ride home, either -- you
have the bike, and what are you other options? Leave the bike locked up and
take the bus home the whole way? That takes so long you might as well ride!

On Tuesday, when it hailed, yeah, I guess I could have sipped a latte in
Tullys and waited it out, but the kids were already home from school.
They're ok for a little bit at home alone, but I don't want to just kick
around and leave them hanging. Plus, while it did eventually slack, only
about an hour later it was hailing again. You don't know what you're going
to encounter when you've got a weather system like that. Better to tough it
out for a little bit in the weather, and get in the door when I could.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

See the books I've set free at:

Old April 1st 05, 02:51 AM
Claire Petersky

"Neil Cherry" wrote in message

Claire, you weren't wearing cycling shorts were you? I'm
still wearing woool tights (were getting in the 50's).

Actually, my nicest and newest thermal Pearl Izumi tights over my shorts.
They're pretty toasty, but still, it was nasty out there!

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

See the books I've set free at:

Old April 1st 05, 02:55 AM
Claire Petersky

"max" wrote in message

I went kayaking when i got home. what the heck, i was a already
drenched...

This summer, when we went up to Vancouver Island for our vacation, we
stopped in some diner for lunch, and I saw a bunch of guys sitting around in
thermal style clothes at a different table. On the way out, I stopped by and
asked them if they were cyclists -- I wasn't sure, because I didn't see any
bicycles out front, but most men don't wear tights in public. Turns out that
they were kayakers. I guess what you wear on a damp day in either activity
is pretty similiar.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

See the books I've set free at:

Why not generator lights? davidd86 Techniques 419 January 7th 05 04:43 PM
54th Birthday Ride Olebiker Rides 22 November 17th 04 02:09 AM
54th Birthday Ride Olebiker Rides 0 November 15th 04 07:04 PM
TIMES UP BICYCLE RIDE (NYC) AND COMMUNITY GARDENING BASH!!! *Because **NYC** Could Be BETTER!! Recumbent Biking 0 July 7th 04 02:12 PM
Hollywood, Music, Record Holders Gun for Chicago Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway Recumbent Biking 0 January 26th 04 04:11 PM