Not able to ride ahead of the storm

Old April 1st 05, 03:28 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:20:21 -0800, , "GaryG"
wrote:

Cycling in Cascadia often means riding wet so it's not much of a
biggie with most folks I know. Hail generally isn't like that found
further east, it's smaller and softer. It stings at speed but doesn't
dent top-tubes.

Cycling in the real world, to me, means being self reliant.

With darkness and hail, in rush hour traffic with cell-phone blabbing
commuters, I'd pull over in my "real world". Thankfully, I live where I can
ride year round without reliance on Gore-Tex.

I no longer own any Gore-Tex having found superior protection in well
designed garments made from Sugoi's "Bosui Vapor" fabric.
I too ride all year but mostly with fenders.

Today was windy and wet ~45F. Not a day to inspire "joy riding" but
not so bad that it prevented me from going about my business and
enjoying the ride.
There's always going to be weather, whether we like it or not.
--
zk
Old April 1st 05, 10:41 AM
Roger Zoul

Maggie wrote:
I can't even imagine riding in that kind of weather. My bike comes
out when the sun is shining, and all is right with the world. I am
in fear my two charity rides will be held on days when it decides to
rain. I am not sure I can handle it. Considering that law they
passed yesterday to make age 40, the age where you can sue for "age
discrimination" because you are now in the "OLDER WORKER"
category...I am feeling a little weird today.

If 40 is the OLDER WORKER...what the heck is 50? I thought 50 was the
new 40? I guess not. All morning long the news has been reporting on
THE 40 Year old "OLDER WORKER" and how companies prefer younger
workers. Makes me wonder if this old bat should go riding in bad
weather. Makes me wonder if I could get a job if I were ever laid off.
Makes me think I might do damage to my really old body if I ride in
bad weather since I am so "OLDER". I'm older than the "OLDER WORKER".

I tell you, this makes me wonder why you bother. You don't have to ride a
bike, you know.

Old April 1st 05, 11:47 AM
Maggie

Roger Zoul wrote:

I tell you, this makes me wonder why you bother. You don't have to

ride a
bike, you know.

I don't have to take a walk on a beautiful sunny day, but I do. Even
though I would rather not walk in a storm. Why do you wonder why I
bother riding a bike? I think everyone should ride, whether it be
occasionally, or fiercely. Are there rules for how much, how often
and under what conditions a person rides? And if they do not meet
those conditions, should they never ride a bike? Some things are
meant to be pleasurable. I think riding a bike is one of those things.

I do not discourage anyone from any type of exercise whether they take
it to the extreme, or just have fun with it when they can and when they
want. I do not wonder why some people are obsessive and so serious
about cycling. I applaud them. Just as I applaud those who have a bike
and ride occasionally.
Let go of the tunnel vision and you might see riders like myself in a
different way. And respect differences. Cycling is a small part of my
life I know. But it's still a part.
All Good Things,
Maggie. Rides for Fun, No amazing bike stories.

Old April 1st 05, 02:55 PM
The Wogster

Maggie wrote:
catzz66 wrote:

Congrats, Claire. Did the same thing myself on Saturday. I started

off

thinking putting fenders on my bike would have been a good idea, but
after a few miles, it would not have helped since I was soaked to the

gills anyway. I'd just lubed my chain, so not having to be too

careful

wiping it down was a plus. Found it a little hard to see sometimes,

but

otherwise it was okay.

I can't even imagine riding in that kind of weather. My bike comes out
when the sun is shining, and all is right with the world. I am in fear
my two charity rides will be held on days when it decides to rain. I am
not sure I can handle it. Considering that law they passed yesterday
to make age 40, the age where you can sue for "age discrimination"
because you are now in the "OLDER WORKER" category...I am feeling a
little weird today.

Age is just a number.....

If 40 is the OLDER WORKER...what the heck is 50? I thought 50 was the
new 40? I guess not. All morning long the news has been reporting on
THE 40 Year old "OLDER WORKER" and how companies prefer younger
workers. Makes me wonder if this old bat should go riding in bad
weather. Makes me wonder if I could get a job if I were ever laid off.
Makes me think I might do damage to my really old body if I ride in bad
weather since I am so "OLDER". I'm older than the "OLDER WORKER".

Employer age descrimination is a real issue, companies would rather hire
a pimply faced 17 year old at $6 an hour, then pay a 40 year old $15 for
the same hour, even though that 40 year old, could do 10 times the work
of the 17 year old, who is more interested in a fast car, being old
enough to smoke and drink, and girls (or boys, depending on their sex
and preference) then working.

Different jurisdictions handle it differently, here in Ontario, Canada
it's illegal for a potential employer to ask discrimanatory questions,
some do, and if they don't get answers, they move on to the next
candidate. Mind you, do you really want to work for an employer that is
so anal retentive, that they will pass up a good candidate who is

I turn 44 in a couple of months, so that classes me as an older worker,
I come from an IT background, where 24 is an older worker, and the
chances of employment past 35 in the field is well nigh impossible,
unless your a new Eastern European, Asian or East Indian immigrant,
willing to warehouse yourself with 7 other guys for $6 an hour and no
benefits..... I work outside the field now, and actually have been able
to get back to doing things I like, so my old film camera is shined up
and functional again, and I am getting a bike of some kind, with tax
refund money, budget is small right now, but I can do my own
maintenance, so replacing crappy components with good ones over time, is
an option. The bike will make it easier to take the camera places, and
works on what's left of my spare tire, which right now is the smallest
it's been in 15 years.....

Old April 1st 05, 03:44 PM
Pat Lamb

The Wogster wrote:
Claire Petersky wrote:

Yesterday we had the weather pattern of showers and sun breaks. When I
got
off work, pavement was dry, but the sun break was already starting to
cloud
over, and the wind was coming from the south and a bit from the west.
is to the east and the north, and I was hoping to stay ahead of the front
moving in.

If your in the USA or Canada .....

You should look into buying a weatheradio with alert, turn it on about
half an hour before you leave work and see what they are saying about
your area, often they will know about hail and such nonsense, knowing
that unpleasent weather is coming, can be a huge benefit, if it's bad
enough, you can always take transit home, even if it means putting a
tarp over the bike, and leaving it where it is.....

Actually I think that both NWS and EC will trigger an alert on hail....
Can't verify it though.....

There are several web sites to check local weather radar before heading
out. But I think Claire picked a not-quite-big-enough gap to make the
dash for home. I've run into some of the heaviest rains I've ridden
through that way.

Pat
Old April 1st 05, 05:45 PM
Roger Zoul

Maggie wrote:
Roger Zoul wrote:

[...]

Hey, my comment had nothing to do with your riding style. It was your
harping on being old that drew my fire. Age is just a number, you know.
You seem too controlled by it. You place too many limitations on yourself,
IMO, just because of your age. Don't spend your time worring about what
others do or think, instead focus on maximizing your enjoyment of life. I
ride for run also and have no amazing bike stories. However, I'm 46 (going
on 47) and don't feel old at all.

Old April 1st 05, 07:01 PM
Maggie

Roger Zoul wrote:

Hey, my comment had nothing to do with your riding style. It was

your
harping on being old that drew my fire. Age is just a number, you

know.
You seem too controlled by it. You place too many limitations on

yourself,

I love people who say "age is just a number". Maybe I am living on
another planet or something. My kids are in their 20's......all three
of them. And two still live with me. I hate to say it, but I cannot
keep the schedules they do, I need more sleep than they do.

I don't feel old in my mind. I think like a teenager most of the time.
But my body doesn't agree. Healing time is longer, recovery is longer
from an injury.

I want to embrace my age and not fight growing older. No one wins that
fight. If people after 40 want to think they are still as strong as
they were when they were 20, thats fine. I'm not.

The other day I spent half an hour hunting for my favorite Ferragamo
sunglasses, before I realized they were on top of my head the whole
time. That pretty much tests positive for AARP membership, but maybe
it's simply a case of absent-mindedness. Who knows.

I just want to embrace each age for what it brings. I was taught to
choose my battles wisely. The battle against getting older is one we
shall not win, unless we die.

Let me grow older and savor each new event. The saddest thing I see,
are people who are 40 acting like they are 15. Michael Jackson for
example. But lets not go there.

All Good Things,
Maggie.

Old April 1st 05, 07:07 PM
Neil Brooks

"Maggie" wrote:

I love people who say "age is just a number". Maybe I am living on
another planet or something. My kids are in their 20's......all three
of them. And two still live with me. I hate to say it, but I cannot
keep the schedules they do, I need more sleep than they do.

I don't feel old in my mind. I think like a teenager most of the time.
But my body doesn't agree. Healing time is longer, recovery is longer
from an injury.

And a mild hangover

a) comes from *three* glasses of wine, and
b) lasts a day and a half

Sigh....
Old April 1st 05, 07:45 PM
Zoot Katz

Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:07:49 GMT,
, Neil Brooks
wrote:

I don't feel old in my mind. I think like a teenager most of the time.
But my body doesn't agree. Healing time is longer, recovery is longer
from an injury.

And a mild hangover

a) comes from *three* glasses of wine, and
b) lasts a day and a half

Sigh....

You need to train regularly and remember to hydrate if you don't want
to get dropped on those gruelling winery tours.
--
zk
Old April 1st 05, 07:47 PM
GaryG

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message
"Maggie" wrote:

I love people who say "age is just a number". Maybe I am living on
another planet or something. My kids are in their 20's......all three
of them. And two still live with me. I hate to say it, but I cannot
keep the schedules they do, I need more sleep than they do.

I don't feel old in my mind. I think like a teenager most of the time.
But my body doesn't agree. Healing time is longer, recovery is longer
from an injury.

And a mild hangover

a) comes from *three* glasses of wine, and
b) lasts a day and a half

Sigh....

And 2 am is the middle of the night...not "closing time", or "maybe now I'll
get lucky" time.

GG

Why not generator lights? davidd86 Techniques 419 January 7th 05 04:43 PM
54th Birthday Ride Olebiker Rides 22 November 17th 04 02:09 AM
54th Birthday Ride Olebiker Rides 0 November 15th 04 07:04 PM
TIMES UP BICYCLE RIDE (NYC) AND COMMUNITY GARDENING BASH!!! *Because **NYC** Could Be BETTER!! Recumbent Biking 0 July 7th 04 02:12 PM
Hollywood, Music, Record Holders Gun for Chicago Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway Recumbent Biking 0 January 26th 04 04:11 PM