Saddle height puzzle

Old June 27th 05, 04:29 PM
Pete

Default Saddle height puzzle

I'm a middle-aged male recreational road bike rider. I am hoping to sollicit
some comments on the peculiarities of my saddle height puzzle. I already
know every formula and rule of thumb out there, but I'm starting to think I
don't fit any formula. I'm returning to cycling after many years.

My puzzle is as follows. Any comments or help would be welcome.

I have proportionally long femurs, but relatively small feet. I was fitted
to my bike by a certified coach. This resulted in a saddle which is almost
bang on the height it should be using the inseam X .883 formula, even though
the formula was not used. The fitting was strictly visual, with me on the
bike and the bike up on a trainer. Now, when I pedal, it feels Ok, and I
don't rock my hips. But, I've noticed that in order to do this, I end up
pedalling significantly toes down, with my heel a good inch and half, two
inches higher, maybe. It's toes down all around the pedal stroke, except my
foot levels off a bit at around 3 o'clock.

What I'm also finding is that as I go along not thinking too much about the
pedalling, I seem to go into a flat pedalling style (ie. flat at the bottom
of the stroke). When I do so, I end up extending my legs pretty straight at
the bottom of the stroke, and I'm pretty close to rocking my hips at that
point. It feels like my anatomy prefers the flat style.

I like the higher position because it feels like it opens me up more, but, I
also feel it may be a little too high, despite the coach's fitting session.

I know, I know. Just try lower and see. But I would appreciate some comment
on this problem.

George

Old June 27th 05, 05:09 PM
Bob Wheeler

Pete wrote:
[...]

I couldn't tell unless I saw you ride. Solicit the opinion of
experienced cyclists observing you ride away from them. You can also
observe other cyclists as they ride away from you to get a feel for how
it should be. In this, everyone is the same, and a ill-adjusted saddle
is obvious to all. At the bottom of the stroke your legs should not be
locked or stretched, but slightly flexed. Don't point your toes while
adjusting the saddle, just relax and let your feet turn naturally. It
may take a couple of rides with minor adjustments of height to get
things right -- you will know.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---
Old June 27th 05, 05:38 PM
Alfred Ryder

Pete (or George) wrote...
[...]

There is no magic involved. And no right or wrong. Just keep changing the
height of the saddle (by a centimeter or so each time) and riding a few
hundred miles at each height. If it feels too high, lower it and if it feel
too low, raise it.

Old June 27th 05, 08:16 PM
Pete

Thanks Bob, and Alfred.

I have experimented quite a bit already. With the higher saddle, I can feel
the extra power, but it's a jerkier pedalling style. With the lower saddle
(such as adjusted by the heel on pedal method), it's makes for much
smoother, almost velvety spinning, and somehow, better control of the bike.
Right now, I'm leaning towards the latter. There's also much less pressure
on the crotch with the lower saddle. I think I may be willing to sacrifice a
little power for that :-)

Pierre-George

Old June 27th 05, 09:06 PM
Bill Sornson

Pete top-posted:

Thanks Bob, and Alfred.

I have experimented quite a bit already. With the higher saddle, I
can feel the extra power, but it's a jerkier pedalling style. With
the lower saddle (such as adjusted by the heel on pedal method), it's
makes for much smoother, almost velvety spinning, and somehow, better
control of the bike. Right now, I'm leaning towards the latter.
There's also much less pressure on the crotch with the lower saddle.
I think I may be willing to sacrifice a little power for that :-)

You don't say how MUCH you're moving the saddle up & down, but take note of
the relative fore/aft position, too. (Down also means forward a bit; up
back.)

Sounds like you're pretty darned close to the sweet spot! (Lower it a
little AND move it back a tad?)

About due to start tweaking mine a little, too (again)... Bill

Old June 27th 05, 09:10 PM
Art Harris

Pete wrote:

The fitting was strictly visual, with me on the bike and the bike up on a trainer.

I hope there you were actually pedaling and discussing how it felt more
so than how it looked to the "fitter."

Now, when I pedal, it feels Ok, and I don't rock my hips. But, I've noticed that in order to do this, I end up pedalling significantly toes down, snip as I go along not thinking too much about the pedalling, I seem to go into a flat pedalling style (ie. flat at the bottom of the stroke).

How many total miles have you ridden with the saddle where it is? It
may be that you ARE thinking too much. If you haven't ridden much
lately, it may take some time to feel right on the bike, and develop a
smooth cadence.

As I see it, you have two choices:

1) Tough it out with the fit the way it is and see if you adapt to it.

2) Lower the saddle by a 5 to 10mm, see how that feels, and either
leave it lower or gradually get back to where you are now.

Watch for signs of knee pain. Pain at the front of the knee can be due
to a too low saddle, and pain in the back of the knee my be caused by
over-extention (saddle too high).

Also make sure the saddle is within a degree or two of dead level.

IMO, the "raise the saddle 'til you rock, and then lower it a bit"
system is better than any of the formulas.

Art Harris

Old June 27th 05, 09:25 PM
Peter Cole

Pete wrote:
Thanks Bob, and Alfred.

I have experimented quite a bit already. With the higher saddle, I can feel
the extra power, but it's a jerkier pedalling style. With the lower saddle
(such as adjusted by the heel on pedal method), it's makes for much
smoother, almost velvety spinning, and somehow, better control of the bike.
Right now, I'm leaning towards the latter. There's also much less pressure
on the crotch with the lower saddle. I think I may be willing to sacrifice a
little power for that :-)

That's the thing. There's no perfect position, it's all trade offs. I
prefer a long flat saddle because I slide back to increase the effective
height and forward to lower it -- back to climb, forward to sprint. The
other thing is that over time, and perhaps at different times of the
year, preferences change.
Old June 27th 05, 09:56 PM
lowkey

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
[...]

Yup. I find I like my saddle unusually far back - usually as far as
possible thanks to the length of my legs. Also the ideal height varies. If
I'm doing rough, offroad trails then I lower the seat. On road and I raise
it. The simplest reason is a lower centre of gravity and greater agility is
more important than forward velocity.

Aside: In the crazy things one see's file:

On a 34 C day that feels like 41C with an AQI reaching into the 50's
[Poor], oil breaking US $60/barrel. I see a bright yellow Hummer with black
trim.

--
'Custom adapts itself to expediency.'
-tacitus

Old June 28th 05, 02:01 PM
Pete

Thanks for this productive discussion.

Yes, it was a full-blown professional fitting, but I realize there's lots of
possible variations with things like saddle height. This is why I'm
experimenting on my own, because I'm finding that pedaling while being
fitted up on the trainer is totally different than actually riding for a
while. My thinking is a cm lower and a little back will do the trick for
now, as suggested by one of you. That's the way I rode for 30-some years
(I'm reconditioning now after a long period of illness), so I guess my body
is just accustomed to it better than the higher saddle. Either way, I have
my bars at saddle height, so that's not a factor.
Pierre-George

"Art Harris" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old June 28th 05, 03:04 PM
lowkey

"Pete" wrote in message
Thanks for this productive discussion.

Yes, it was a full-blown professional fitting, but I realize there's lots
of possible variations with things like saddle height. This is why I'm
experimenting on my own, because I'm finding that pedaling while being
fitted up on the trainer is totally different than actually riding for a
while.

Truth. I find an ever so slight tilt forward from horizontal - a tricky
spot to find - to keep the forward part of my anatomy unstressed but not so
far that the rear part gets stressed.

--
'They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety