Yet another obstruction

Old April 3rd 06, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Yet another obstruction

Here's a new variation on the theme of making life difficult for cyclists,
and this time it's in the photo gallery offered by Cycling England --

http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...2&pic=184&sf=0

Mike
Old April 3rd 06, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Mike Causer wrote:
Here's a new variation on the theme of making life difficult for cyclists,
and this time it's in the photo gallery offered by Cycling England --

http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...2&pic=184&sf=0

That is without doubt the most evil-looking (official) barrier I've
ever seen. It should to be taken down quickly, before someone is very
seriously injured. It is so bad I'm having trouble convincing myself
it's unintentional. Some kind of malicious practical joke by an
anti-cycling engineer perhaps. What other rational explanation could
there be?

Maybe it's just me. Does anyone here think I'm over-stating the case?

--
Dave...

Old April 3rd 06, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

dkahn400 wrote:
What other rational explanation could
there be?

Maybe it's just me. Does anyone here think I'm over-stating the case?

I must admit, it looks pretty odd. And those reflectors; they are not
indicating the narrowest points of the passage at all! Could lead to some
nasty night-time njuries.

Old April 3rd 06, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

dkahn400 said the following on 03/04/2006 14:36:

http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...2&pic=184&sf=0

Maybe it's just me. Does anyone here think I'm over-stating the case?

No, I don't think so. Those solid-looking projecting bits look to be
just about head height for a child on a bike, or face height for a rider
on drops.

If you go up a page to http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/gallery.php?id=2,
it shows this as an example of a "cycle friendly barrier". I assume
this is meant as sarcasm. The mind boggles!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old April 3rd 06, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Bennett wrote:
dkahn400 wrote:
What other rational explanation could
there be?

Maybe it's just me. Does anyone here think I'm over-stating the case?

I must admit, it looks pretty odd. And those reflectors; they are not
indicating the narrowest points of the passage at all! Could lead to some
nasty night-time njuries.

I have a vision of the paddles whomping the cyclist, TombRaider stylee,
as they cycle through.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old April 3rd 06, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Paul Boyd wrote:
dkahn400 said the following on 03/04/2006 14:36:

http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...2&pic=184&sf=0

Maybe it's just me. Does anyone here think I'm over-stating the case?

No, I don't think so. Those solid-looking projecting bits look to be
just about head height for a child on a bike, or face height for a rider
on drops.

If you go up a page to http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/gallery.php?id=2,
it shows this as an example of a "cycle friendly barrier". I assume
this is meant as sarcasm. The mind boggles!

It *is* cycle friendly, just not cyclist friendly. All other barriers
hit the bike. This hits the rider.

...d

Old April 3rd 06, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

David Martin said the following on 03/04/2006 15:04:

It *is* cycle friendly, just not cyclist friendly. All other barriers
hit the bike. This hits the rider.

Doh!!! Of course that's what they mean! :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old April 3rd 06, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 3 Apr 2006 06:36:55 -0700, "dkahn400"
wrote:

Mike Causer wrote:
Here's a new variation on the theme of making life difficult for cyclists,
and this time it's in the photo gallery offered by Cycling England --

http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...2&pic=184&sf=0

On the cyclepath that runs down from Caerphilly to Machen there are
barriers like the ones below. The handle bars pass the angled part
and the riders body through the vertical section. They let
bikes/tandems past. The higher/wider handle bars of motorbikes can
not pass. One of my bikes is a hybrid so my handle bars are a little
higher that a mtb and a little wider than drops on a road bike. So
here I am riding down the path for the first time. Thinking what have
we here? Ok ride through with care. Come to the next one ride through
smoothly. Getting the hang of these. Ride through the next one quite
briskly. Not such a bad design these. Then I approach a pair that
have been set a little closer together or lower. Approach slowly,
clang! Very difficult to get past. I had to lift the bike over the
top.

(Select Fixed Font)

IIIIIIII IIIIIIII
I I I I
I I I I
I / \ I
I / \ I
IIIII IIIII
I I I I
I I I I
I I I I
I I I I
I I I I

Old April 3rd 06, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Mike Causer said the following on 03/04/2006 14:10:
Here's a new variation on the theme of making life difficult for cyclists,
and this time it's in the photo gallery offered by Cycling England --

http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...2&pic=184&sf=0

Mike

How about this for a smart idea?
http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...9&pic=141&sf=0

http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...9&pic=144&sf=0 shows
why perhaps it isn't!

I happen to know that
http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...&pic=169&sf=30 is
definitely not a happy place to be cycling - just behind the camera cars
turn left across across both the bus lane and the cycle lane. That ped
in the red jacket most certainly should not be where he is - in fact,
how and why did he get there?

Is this all meant to reassure the general public that lots of things are
being done to make cycling safer?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old April 3rd 06, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 3 Apr 2006 06:36:55 -0700 someone who may be "dkahn400"
wrote this:-

Maybe it's just me.

No it's not.

Does anyone here think I'm over-stating the case?

No. My e-mail to them concluded with, "The best thing that could
happen to that obstruction is for the locals to remove it
immediately."

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh