{Geelong} By the light of the silvery moon... lets ride this Sunday night

Old June 6th 06, 09:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default {Geelong} By the light of the silvery moon... lets ride this Sunday night

Yep, you read the title line correctly. A *ride announcement* for Sunday
11th June for folks in the *Geelong area*. Contact Russ at:
cafe9zeroAToptusnetDOTcomDOTau if you wanna know more.

By the light of the silvery moon... lets ride this Sunday night

Time to put your phobias about warewoves and zombie aside, This Sunday
evening sees a full moon rise at about 6pm.

What better time could there be to go for a leisurely ride along the
Queenscliff Rail Trail with other like minded cycling folk.

Leaving outside the Geelong Showgrounds at the commencement of the rail
trail, (1km east of the South Geelong Rail Station)
At 8pm this Sunday evening.

Will we ride to Queenscliff & back? Or just to Drysdale and back? Or
maybe just Leopold? Depends on what people who turn up want to do as
to how far we go.

Bring high carbo food, water, Bike (unless your really good at
marathon running), lights, helmet, puncture gear if you can.

Don't forget it will be cold especially once stopped riding for breaks,
so layered clothing is the answer (one or two T shirts, skivvys,
windcheaters, spray jackets, vests, gloves, extra pair of socks (even a
plastic bag over each foot then shoes keeps then snug - but oh so
smelly!!). Arm warmers, leg warmers, scarf, neck warmer, head warmer
(does it ever stop?).

There will be sufficiently trained people to cope with any breakdowns,
mechanical, physical or mental!!

Hope to see you there

--
cfsmtb

Old June 6th 06, 09:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb Wrote:
[...]

What sort of surface is the rail trail? Will 23mm tyres@110psi sink
into it or roll ok? Other than that, sounds good if I haven't already
booked myself

--
Resound

Old June 6th 06, 09:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Resound Wrote:
What sort of surface is the rail trail? Will 23mm tyres@110psi sink into
it or roll ok? Other than that, sounds good if I haven't already booked
myself

Not sure - it's been relatively dry, but being in the depths of winter
usually means there's a few bog holes around. Email Russ and ask?

--
cfsmtb

Old June 6th 06, 10:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb Wrote:
Not sure - it's been relatively dry, but being in the depths of winter
usually means there's a few bog holes around. Email Russ and ask?

Fair call and will do when I get home (workin' until 8pm). I take it
that it's dirt then? I may have access to a MTB with slicks which will
be better than the roadie.

--
Resound

Old June 6th 06, 01:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"Resound" wrote:

What sort of surface is the rail trail? Will 23mm tyres@110psi sink
into it or roll ok? Other than that, sounds good if I haven't already
booked myself

I rode it myself last Novemeber with 32mm tyres (on a tandem). It was OK but
a bit loose in places and fairly bumpy. I'd suggest that you may find 23mm
tyres too skittish, especially doing it under lights at night. Despite
wetter weather recently I don't think mud will be a problem - it seemed
pretty well drained.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old June 6th 06, 11:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default OT: Queenscliff rail trail questions

I'm thinking of riding this with the family but doing an overnight
Geelong to Queenscliff one day, motel that night, and back again the
next day. Does anyone know if there is anywhere secure to park a car
near the start?

Alternatively, are there bike restrictions on the Geelong train (2 bikes
and a trailer bike)?

DaveB
Old June 7th 06, 01:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

DaveB Wrote:
I'm thinking of riding this with the family but doing an overnight
Geelong to Queenscliff one day, motel that night, and back again the
next day. Does anyone know if there is anywhere secure to park a car
near the start?

Alternatively, are there bike restrictions on the Geelong train (2
bikes
and a trailer bike)?

Either contact Russ direct via: cafe9zeroAToptusnetDOTcomDOTau, or
email me at cfsmtbATgmailDOTcom and I'll give you Russ's phone number.

--
cfsmtb

Old June 7th 06, 12:37 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Queenscliff rail trail questions

"DaveB" wrote:
I'm thinking of riding this with the family but doing an overnight Geelong
to Queenscliff one day, motel that night, and back again the next day.
Does anyone know if there is anywhere secure to park a car near the start?

Alternatively, are there bike restrictions on the Geelong train (2 bikes
and a trailer bike)?

With just the two bikes and trailer bike you shouldn't have too much of a
problem.

Two types of trains run on country lines:
1. The new Vlocity sets - they can carry up to 3 bikes per 2-car set. You'll
probably have to disconnect the trailerbike and take all pannier bags off,
bikes are loaded in a special area in the one of the carriages. On
timetables it will be listed as 'economy' only.

2. The traditional locomotive and carriages - these will carry up to 12 or
13 bikes (from my experience) in the guards compartment at the rear of the
train. You'll probably have to disconnect the trailerbike to get it in, but
panniers can be left on the bikes, no public access to this comartment. On
timetables this service will be headed with a logo for meals (snackbar on
the train) or as '1st & economy'

There are probably only two loco services up and down each day, one am. the
other pm., so you have limited choice of when you go. Vline are running a
lot of the Vlocity services now giving wider choice of travel time.

rantPersonally I think these Vlocity trains, whilst very new and
comfortable, suck for inter-modal use. With only space for 3 bikes there is
always going to be the risk the space is full and you won't be able to
travel on the service. "Why don't you ride the bike?" says the dopey station
staff. Yeah, back to Melbourne, at 5.30pm, on the Princes Freeway.
end rant

Go down to Geelong and use the train. On weekends now you'll be able to get
off-peak tickets, about half the regular fare, and accompanied kids travel
for about $3.00, no charge for the bikes. It's a really nice ride on the
rail trail, and Queenscliff/Point Lonsdale is a lovely place to spend a
little time in.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@

Amy's ride cfsmtb Australia 38 January 15th 06 03:49 AM
Cool "Goal Setting" Idea tylercox Unicycling 12 January 2nd 05 08:27 PM
Penasquitos Canyon at Night ~Video~ Michael Paul Mountain Biking 6 May 8th 04 02:51 PM
lacking in leg strength and stamina exercises? Yuri Budilov General 18 March 23rd 04 03:42 PM
Sunday Ride Richard Adams Rides 0 November 14th 03 06:45 PM