How much should touring gear weight?

Old June 18th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default How much should touring gear weight?

How much should the gear needed for a 3 week bike tour weigh? Here's
one opinion
http://ebent.wordpress.com/2006/06/1...ing-gear-weigh.

I would think modern gear would be lighter than this? Any suggestions
other than sleeping under a tarp with no bag?

Thanks ... Roland

Old June 19th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

wrote:
How much should the gear needed for a 3 week bike tour weigh? Here's
one opinion
http://ebent.wordpress.com/2006/06/1...ing-gear-weigh.

I would think modern gear would be lighter than this? Any suggestions
other than sleeping under a tarp with no bag?

I don't think 'modern' gear is really necessary. Most of my camping
gear is at least 20 years old but it's still much lighter than what's
given at that website. I use a NF Blue Kazoo sleeping bag (30 years
old) with a total weight (incl. stuff sack) of 2.0 lbs. It's a bit of
overkill for bike camping since I've used it for backpacking at
temperatures down to single digits. Going with an equivalent bag but
with a higher temperature rating should drop the weight to 1.5 lbs or
less. My nominally 2-person tent weighs 3.5 lbs and on trips where I'm
really weight-conscious I use a solo tent that is 2.5 lbs. Never use a
ground cloth with either one and the floors are still in fine shape
(but zippers and the fly are starting to go on the 20-year-old 2-person
tent). Sleeping pad is an ultra-light/short Thermarest that weighs 0.7
lbs.

Glancing at the list of items it appears to me that there's
considerable redundancy. E.g. he lists a Leatherman multi-tool, an
Alien multi-tool, and a knife although both of the others include a
knife. My mini-Alien seems sufficient so I don't take the others (and
it includes the tire lever as well). Similarly, a good small headlamp
serves as a bike light, camp light, and reading lamp - no need to have
separate items. I also select bike shorts that are ok for off-bike use
and shoes that are comfortable enough for walking as well as cycling.
Having a bike with the same size tire front and rear saves the need for
extra spare tires/tubes.

Unlike backpacking, most bike touring takes you near stores along the
way, so I don't bother carrying many of the listed items like 24
patches (1 patch kit should suffice), acetaminophen/ibuprofin, chain
lube (emergency oil can be found in gas station trash cans), blister
patches etc. If needed then I can obtain such items at the next town.

Overall that should cut the weight about in half - I aim for under 20
lbs instead of the 43 lbs listed - exclusive of food/water supplies
that are replenished along the way.

Old June 19th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Bike Weight redux Doug Taylor Techniques 100 March 25th 06 10:29 PM
Bike / touring gear shake-down ride questions / observations Ken M General 11 September 26th 05 05:51 PM
Touring Bike Reminder Tom Kunich Rides 13 July 25th 05 04:14 AM
Cheapo bike Steve L UK 204 December 5th 04 05:42 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ kingsley Australia 4 December 15th 03 12:08 AM