Hot foot problem. Cure?

Old July 22nd 03, 05:01 AM
Lewdvig

Default Hot foot problem. Cure?

I get sharp shooting pains in the arches of my feet. I am using Carbon soled
Shimano shoes, but have had the problem with Sidi Geniuses. I had a pair of
Northwaves a few years ago (1995) that had the Shimano 210 sole and I had no
problems. I had no problems with the Shimano 210s they replaced. As I
recall, that was a flexy sole.

Any thoughts on what kind of shoe I should use? The 210s are all long gone
and I need road and mtn shoes.

Old July 22nd 03, 05:33 PM
Byron Servies

"Lewdvig" wrote in message ...
I get sharp shooting pains in the arches of my feet. I am using Carbon soled
Shimano shoes, but have had the problem with Sidi Geniuses. I had a pair of
Northwaves a few years ago (1995) that had the Shimano 210 sole and I had no
problems. I had no problems with the Shimano 210s they replaced. As I
recall, that was a flexy sole.

Any thoughts on what kind of shoe I should use? The 210s are all long gone
and I need road and mtn shoes.

Hi,

There is some good information on this at http://www.wellfeet.com/. I
am in the process of talking to them myself on recommendation of a local
pro rider.

Byron
Old July 22nd 03, 07:24 PM
Peter Cole

"Lewdvig" wrote in message
.. .
I get sharp shooting pains in the arches of my feet. I am using Carbon soled
Shimano shoes, but have had the problem with Sidi Geniuses. I had a pair of
Northwaves a few years ago (1995) that had the Shimano 210 sole and I had no
problems. I had no problems with the Shimano 210s they replaced. As I
recall, that was a flexy sole.

Doesn't sound like a flexy sole problem, Sidis are about as stiff as you get.
They may be too tight, or you may need some arch support. If you can fit them,
try off the shelf arch support inserts, I use some, I cut the toe & heel
sections away. Moving cleats back is also worth a try.

Old July 22nd 03, 07:37 PM
Sheldon Brown

Lewdvig wrote:

I get sharp shooting pains in the arches of my feet. I am using Carbon soled
Shimano shoes, but have had the problem with Sidi Geniuses. I had a pair of
Northwaves a few years ago (1995) that had the Shimano 210 sole and I had no
problems. I had no problems with the Shimano 210s they replaced. As I
recall, that was a flexy sole.

Any thoughts on what kind of shoe I should use? The 210s are all long gone
and I need road and mtn shoes.

My wife was having similar problems until I bought her a pair of Shimano
SPD sandals.

They're the greatest, by far the most comfortable cycling footwear I've
ever used. This time of year I live in these for weeks at a time.

Sheldon "Interesting Sun Tan" Brown
| If only God would give me some clear sign! |
| Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss bank. |
| --Woody Allen |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old July 23rd 03, 02:47 AM
Lewdvig

Yeah, I have some Shimano SPD sandals too and have had no problems with them
either.

Thanks for all your help!

Old July 24th 03, 01:37 AM
one of the six billion

"Lewdvig" wrote in message
.. .
I get sharp shooting pains in the arches of my feet. I am using Carbon

soled
Shimano shoes, but have had the problem with Sidi Geniuses. I had a pair

of
Northwaves a few years ago (1995) that had the Shimano 210 sole and I had

no
problems. I had no problems with the Shimano 210s they replaced. As I
recall, that was a flexy sole.

Any thoughts on what kind of shoe I should use? The 210s are all long

gone
and I need road and mtn shoes.

Hotfoot has a few different causes. Swelling of the foot, not enough
support and inflammation of the metatarsals (the most painful and the true
hotfoot caused by inflamed nerves) are the most common reasons. Try these
things: Shoes wide enough to accommodate your feet after they have swelled.
Moving your cleats back. A metatarsal support. The metatarsal supports
are expensive as part of insoles or custom orthotics, but there is an
inexpensive pad that can be purchased at a well stocked medical supply
pharmacy. I suggest a web search on that topic.