High visibility vest just £1.35

Old December 9th 09, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_2_]

Default High visibility vest just £1.35

Thought this was a really good deal to help you be seen. High-visibility
safety vest down to just £1.35 delivered. A must if you cycle at night.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0920

Old December 9th 09, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Mr Benn wrote:

Thought this was a really good deal to help you be seen. High-visibility
safety vest down to just £1.35 delivered. A must if you cycle at night...

....or if you plan a motor trip to the continent.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0920

Thanks for the link.
Old December 9th 09, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Mr Benn" wrote in message
Thought this was a really good deal to help you be seen. High-visibility
safety vest down to just £1.35 delivered. A must if you cycle at night.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0920

It would be a good idea if these were compulsory for pedestrians after dark,
especially this time of year when it gets dark early and there are a lot of
people around.

The art of crossing the road seems to be a fading one. What *most* people
tend to do now is wait for a break in the traffic and then dash. If
pedestrians wore these they would be seen a lot better and might be more
confident to walk purposefully, predictably without feeling the need to get
out of the way of traffic.

Old December 9th 09, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

"mileburner" wrote in message

"Mr Benn" wrote in message
Thought this was a really good deal to help you be seen.
High-visibility safety vest down to just £1.35 delivered. A must
if you cycle at night.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0920

It would be a good idea if these were compulsory for pedestrians
after dark,

Do they make little ones, for hedgehogs?

Actually, if it's no longer the driver's responsibility to see
things, a radar operated brake might be better, together with a
signal to pass on a warning two or three cars back

Jeremy Parker

Old December 9th 09, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I prefer not to rely on hi-vis in the dark as bright colours don't
really work at night. I use extra lighting rather than passive
reflectors that don't work if a car is waiting at a side street. That
said, I do have clothing which has reflective bits on it.

--
Simon Mason

Old December 9th 09, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

Default Responsibility of pedestrians High visibility vest just £1.35

On 9 Dec, 15:19, "mileburner" wrote:

It would be a good idea if these were compulsory for pedestrians after dark,
especially this time of year when it gets dark early and there are a lot of
people around.

The art of crossing the road seems to be a fading one. What *most* people
tend to do now is wait for a break in the traffic and then dash. If
pedestrians wore these they would be seen a lot better and might be more
confident to walk purposefully, predictably without feeling the need to get
out of the way of traffic.

It would certainly make our ride on the road a bit easier if we could
see the darned varmints a bit sooner before they threw themselves into
the road without warning. I think the fitting of a handlebar bag
makes them think it OK . Might just go back to bare brake levers. A
poke in the kidney with one of them is not too comfortable. It would
also save the planet somewhat as we wont be thinking of 500W halogen
floodlights to show us the way. I did manage on the Pifco lights,
back when the pedestrian had not long acquired the responsibility for
his own safety when crossing the road. Even my 1978 copy of the
highway code tells them to wear a safety sash. It's appalling that
these road users can go about without any sort of lighting or aids to
visibility, causing accidents, collisions and death, and continue to
not be reprimanded by the courts. Forty years have now passed since
the responsibility was placed upon the pedestrian for his own safety
on the road and I do not know of any pedestrian receiving any penalty
for not being properly equipped for using a road at night. Surely
there must be some chief constables who joined the force since the
1960's.
Old December 10th 09, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

thirty-six wrote:
[...]

I passed a cyclist in Byfleet tonight, what sort of front light he was
using I don't know, but it needed a dipped beam.

--
Tony Dragon
Old December 10th 09, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer[_3_]

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 16:39:44 -0000
"Jeremy Parker" wrote:

Do they make little ones, for hedgehogs?

Actually, if it's no longer the driver's responsibility to see
things, a radar operated brake might be better, together with a
signal to pass on a warning two or three cars back

I'd go with the radar, but not the signal. The followers' own radar
(or even eyes!) should have told them to leave more of a gap...

"Think of it as Evolution in Action."

Mike
--
Mike Causer

Old December 10th 09, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_2_]

wrote in message
I prefer not to rely on hi-vis in the dark as bright colours don't
really work at night.

Why do road contractors wear them?

High Visibility Gear for Daylight Steveal UK 21 July 12th 09 07:23 PM
High Visibility Cold Weather Cycling Gear SMS General 0 December 15th 08 01:10 AM
visibility Zebee Johnstone Australia 33 July 1st 06 06:38 AM
Plain high-visibility jerseys...? Kenneth General 9 August 19th 04 05:29 AM
leeds afety high visibility clothing mike UK 1 December 11th 03 12:44 PM