Fla. 8-Year-Old Gets Traffic Ticket For Bike Mishap (irresponsible idiot parents refuse to pay)

Old October 25th 03, 07:03 PM
David Reuteler

Default Fla. 8-Year-Old Gets Traffic Ticket For Bike Mishap (irresponsible idiot parents refuse to pay)

Johann S. wrote:
: Anyway, I'm very glad I'm not a kid today, and especially in the US
: (it seems). Must be pretty boring.

nah, we spend most of our time mastering the art of not getting caught.
it could probably go w/o saying how useful that skill is later in life.
--
david reuteler

Old October 25th 03, 07:13 PM
Arthur Harris

"Rich Clark" wrote:

Not as boring as being dead.

"What is life but an unnecessary interuption to pleasant non-existence?" --
Jean Paul Satre

Old October 25th 03, 07:17 PM
Rich Clark

"Johann S." wrote in message
That is true, although I am not convinced of the truth of that, but
still, a pity that children cannot be children anymore. That is why me
and the wife decided not to have kids.

Well, *those* children certainly can't be children, anyway.

Yet, somehow, my son grew up to be a happy, productive, well-adjusted person
with good friends and a bright future, despite my tyrannical insistence that
he learn the rules of the road and wear a helmet before I would allow him to
mix with traffic on his bike.

RichC

Old October 25th 03, 08:37 PM
Frank Krygowski

Lars S. Mulford wrote:
Howdy folks!

I've been a lurker on here for some time, and I've got to chime in here. I
absolutely agree with Art in that the parents should face some consequences.
I noted in the writeup that the boy had no helmet on. An 8yr old out riding
a BMX type bike, jumping dirt berms and stuff, and no helmet?

Nice one, Lars! Focus entirely on the helmet. Completely ignore the
fact that the kid rode out directly in front of a car.

This is "Bike Safety, the American version."

--
Frank Krygowski

Old October 25th 03, 08:44 PM
Johann S.

Rich Clark Said:

"Johann S." wrote in message
That is true, although I am not convinced of the truth of that, but
still, a pity that children cannot be children anymore. That is why me
and the wife decided not to have kids.

Well, *those* children certainly can't be children, anyway.

Yet, somehow, my son grew up to be a happy, productive, well-adjusted person
with good friends and a bright future, despite my tyrannical insistence that
he learn the rules of the road and wear a helmet before I would allow him to
mix with traffic on his bike.

Yeah, Ok, you win. I knew that from the beginning, I was just feeling
out of sorts. (Sorry). Like the other dude said, you gotta stand by
what you did. No matter how young/old you are.

It is just that safety rules are starting to irritate me. At work,
safety rules are getting more and more, and freedom of choice is
getting less and less. Damn boring. Ah well. *shrug*

PS: Arthur Harris: I absolutely love that quote:

"What is life but an unnecessary interuption to pleasant
non-existence?" --
Jean Paul Satre

--

QUIPd 1.02: (385 of 667)
- Windows: Just another pane in the glass.
Old October 25th 03, 09:31 PM
Rich Clark

"Johann S." wrote in message

It is just that safety rules are starting to irritate me. At work,
safety rules are getting more and more, and freedom of choice is
getting less and less. Damn boring. Ah well. *shrug*

I wouldn't argue with the statement that sometimes institutions go to
ridiculous lengths to protect themselves from liability, and also that
sometimes people get downright silly in their efforts to "protect" others.

At the same time, one must allow the principle that people should be
accountable for their actions to extend to everyone. Including people in
supervisory or legislative positions who feel responsible for those whose
lives their actions affect.

If I make a rule that the crew repainting an exhibit hall must keep it
ventilated and wear masks when sanding, then when they violate the rule
they're accepting responsibility for violating the rule, and accepting the
potential consequences as well. If I don't make the rule, then I am. Well,
no thanks. I can't stop people from doing stupid things, but I can protect
myself from their lawyers. But I'd feel *really* bad if somebody had their
lungs damaged because I actually was negligent in providing a safe work
environment. So being "responsible for my own actions" in this case is to
make annoying rules for the workers.

RichC

Old October 25th 03, 11:47 PM
Lars S. Mulford

Frank:

If you'd have read my post completely, you'd have seen that it had
EVERYTHING to do with the boy going in front of the car and getting tagged.
He's lucky to have a second chance, and with luck perhaps his parents will
see that. Most folks who have encounters like this are not so graced as
this kid seemed to be, to come away completely unscathed.

So Frank, leave your elitism at home.
--
"Sea" ya!
--Lars S. Mulford

Old October 26th 03, 12:16 AM
Arpit

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:41:22 +0200, "Johann S."
wrote:

It's much more
fun than driving miss daisy with a bloody helmet on.

hmm, we dont wear helmets for sex here...yet

Old October 26th 03, 01:51 AM
The Real Bev

"Johann S." wrote:

Arpit Said:

"He's an 8-year-old child. He does not understand what the right of
way is," She said.

Then he has no business being outside alone.

-----
Gee, I wonder why this kid rides his bike in such an unsafe manner?

You Americans are crazy. (Probably the whole damn world is.) Where are
the days where a kid could just ride his bike and have fun without
worrying about helmets and **** like that? Maybe it's too crowded over
there.

No matter how uncrowded it is here it's too crowded. The helmet
question is irrelevant if your chest gets run over by a car and too much
red wet stuff squirts out.

When I was a kid, there wasn't any such thing as helmets, and I jumped
my BMX over many a dirt heap, sometimes over a dirt heap and into the
neighbours well manicured flowerbed. That was fun, but the neighbour
didn't think so.

The problem here is that the kid jumped out into traffic, not into your
neighbor's flowerbed. An 8-year-old ought to have more sense than that,
and giving up his savings and the rest of his allowance until the ticket
is paid off is an especially good way of acquiring some at a fairly low
price.

There's no hope for his mom, though, so I hope that somebody just slaps
her silly.

Had some close encounters with cars too, but those were mostly in my
skateboard days. (no helmet either).

Anyway, I'm very glad I'm not a kid today, and especially in the US
(it seems). Must be pretty boring. Maybe I would have decided to stuff
all these rules, and just play playstation. It's much more
fun than driving miss daisy with a bloody helmet on.

PS: I have nothing against helmets, I even own one. (Don't wear it
very often though) My point is with all the rules and regulations
these days, it must be boring to be a kid.

There's a general feeling that it's no longer safe for a kid to play
anywhere without an adult in close attendance. Damn shame, because kids
NEED to learn to be alone and unsupervised sometimes. You ride/drive
around in the suburbs and you never see kids out playing. You see lots
of gardeners, people jogging (sometimes pushing a sport-stroller with a
kid in it), and a few bicyclists.

It used to be neat to ride out Xmas morning and see all the kids with
their new bicycles. Been a long time since that happened.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old October 26th 03, 01:57 AM
The Real Bev

David Reuteler wrote:

Johann S. wrote:
: Anyway, I'm very glad I'm not a kid today, and especially in the US
: (it seems). Must be pretty boring.

nah, we spend most of our time mastering the art of not getting caught.
it could probably go w/o saying how useful that skill is later in life.

But in this case the kid DID get caught. Sensible parents would make
him pay restitution, pay something additional for punishment, and give
him some extra punishment for being careless and getting caught.

Parents just aren't what they used to be...

--
Cheers,
Bev