Campy Ergo levers on Shimano 8 speed cassette

Old August 2nd 03, 10:21 PM
bob

Default Campy Ergo levers on Shimano 8 speed cassette

My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them
with a Campy Ergo. Is there any Campy Erro set that will work without
replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

Old August 3rd 03, 12:24 AM
CampyO

any 8 speed levers would work with the shimano cassette spacing (and rear hub),
but I believe you'll also need to put a campy 8 speed rear derailleur on the
bike. the calipers won't matter... it's campy calipers that can't be used with
shimano levers, because campy calipers don't have the release lever on them.
Old August 3rd 03, 02:57 AM
A Muzi

"bob" wrote in message
My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them
with a Campy Ergo. Is there any Campy Erro set that will work without
replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

Yes.

Get any Campagnolo Ergo Nine , a Campagnolo rear derailleur, a SRAM or
Shimano nine cassette and a new chain. The levers include a cable set. You
can switch the whole thing over in an hour or less and probably at less cost
than replacing the Shimano levers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old August 3rd 03, 05:09 AM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
bob wrote:
My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them
with a Campy Ergo. Is there any Campy Erro set that will work without
replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

You can run Campy 8, 9 or 10 speed without replacing the hub
or calipers. The calipers are a non-issue. For 8 or 9 speed you
can just use a Shimano cassette. For 10 speed you'd need a
conversion cassette such as the one from American Classic.

Old August 3rd 03, 02:05 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

campyo- any 8 speed levers would work with the shimano cassette spacing (and
rear hub),
but I believe you'll also need to put a campy 8 speed rear derailleur on the
bike. BRBR

Nope, any Campagnolo rear der will work with ERGO of any speed...

it's campy calipers that can't be used with
shimano levers, because campy calipers don't have the release lever on them.
BRBR

Not true, the lack of QR is only a problem with really fat tires, like 28c....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 3rd 03, 08:06 PM
Dave Mayer

"bob" wrote in message
My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them
with a Campy Ergo. Is there any Campy Erro set that will work without
replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

Bob: I've done this upgrade several times now.

Easiest coversion is to get some 8-speed Ergopower shifters and a Campagnolo
rear derailleur from before 2000. Ebay. Your 8-speed cog spacing is 4.8mm
center to center. The Campagnolo wants 5.0mm spacing, but in practice its
usually close enough. Worst case: add a few 7-speed spacers to your
cassette, or a few aluminum beer-can spacers to widen-out the cassette a
tad.

Advice: The actuation ratio difference between Shimano and Campagnolo rear
derailleurs is so large that the shifters and deraillers should be matched.

The best information I currently have is the following:

Shimano: 1.67:1
Dura-Ace pre 1998: about 1.8:1
Campagnolo (pre-2000): 1.43:1
Campagnolo (post 1999): 1.50:1
Sachs New Success:: about 1.6:1
SRAM 1:1: 1.0:1

This is the ratio between the shifter cable pull, and how far on average the
derailleur moves across the cogs. Any techs out there have anything better
than this?

Old August 4th 03, 02:40 AM
Dave Mayer

Sachs Ergo should work with your wife's setup. The down side is that the
Sachs are the older, longer style ergo levers that may not work with

smaller
hands.

Mike

Mike: I have just installed a new Sachs Ergopower 8-speed setup on a bike.
I tried an Ultegra rear. It overshifted slightly. Same with an XT rear
derailleur. In both cases, 6 of 8 the cogs shifted well.

Then I installed a Sachs New Success rear derailleur. Works like a charm.
Bottom line: Sachs Ergo shifters are not very compatible with Shimano rear
derailleurs. I am going to try a Mavic 840 derailleur next. I've been told
that this should work, but so was the Shimano.