Pavement Hazard Marking: Standards?

Old October 13th 14, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Pavement Hazard Marking: Standards?

Potholes, tree roots, sink holes that haven't sunk all the way.... stuff
that, in general, would cause control problems and/or damage if a
cyclist hits them.

Given a can of fluorescent orange spray paint, is there a set of
standards for marking such things?
--
Pete Cresswell
Old October 13th 14, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Potholes, tree roots, sink holes that haven't sunk all the way.... stuff
that, in general, would cause control problems and/or damage if a
cyclist hits them.

Given a can of fluorescent orange spray paint, is there a set of
standards for marking such things?

Here we circle potholes and put lines along bumps. Basically show the
perimeter or contact point. Don't know of any standard but our club is
starting a hazards marking group so I'd be interested as well.
--
duane
Old October 13th 14, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_6_]

On 14/10/2014 4:07 AM, Duane wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Potholes, tree roots, sink holes that haven't sunk all the way.... stuff
that, in general, would cause control problems and/or damage if a
cyclist hits them.

Given a can of fluorescent orange spray paint, is there a set of
standards for marking such things?

Here we circle potholes and put lines along bumps. Basically show the
perimeter or contact point. Don't know of any standard but our club is
starting a hazards marking group so I'd be interested as well.

In my part of the world the people who own the roads don't like
freelance road marking. Not that it stops anyone. The road shoulders
around where I live are thick with kilometer marks and direction arrows
put there by the road runner fraternity. (persons who run from pub to
pub, not beepbeep birds) On my former route to work there was a small
and nasty sinkhole in the bitumen that got me every time even though I
knew it was there. I finally stopped one morning and circled it with
white spray marker. It's still marked and still unrepaired years later.
PH
Old October 13th 14, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

paint standards call for frictionless surface, easily dulled.

Old October 14th 14, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, October 13, 2014 6:54:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
paint standards call for frictionless surface, easily dulled.

marked a couple with white rusto....small dash is enough. Once known...

did a 3-4 foot parallel crack...mark all parallel cracks with a dash abt 5-6 feet before. Getting caught in there is a buster.

If you avoid graffiti, stay with simple brief lines or circles prob no one will object.
Old October 14th 14, 11:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
[...]

Last time we had a woman crash in a pothole the ambulance driver took out a
can of orange paint and sprayed a circle around it. It's still there but I
haven't heard of anyone hitting it again.

Another issue is during this time of year with the leaves. I had a recent
mishap with a newly installed speed bump covered with leaves. There was a
sign indicating bump. As I pointed to the sign to signal it I went down.
Spray paint wouldn't have helped. A friend did the same route yesterday
and called to tell me that the sign was several feet AFTER the bump.
Sometime stupidity is unbelievable.

--
duane
Old October 14th 14, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Peter Howard:
It's still marked and still unrepaired years later.

That's what I see on Philadelphia's Schulkyll River path: stuff that's
been marked so long (like at least 5 years) that the paint is pretty
much faded.
--
Pete Cresswell

line marking Mark Australia 0 April 8th 06 03:16 PM
line marking Mark Australia 0 April 8th 06 02:50 PM
Marking a Google Map Mark \(MSA\) UK 3 January 17th 06 09:06 PM
Marking T[i/y]res - General Questions. Wheel Rider Unicycling 0 December 23rd 05 04:50 PM
Marking an inner tube for repair Joe Riel Techniques 10 August 26th 04 10:46 PM