Disc Brakes...

Old July 9th 03, 06:53 PM
P e t e F a g e r l i n

Default Disc Brakes...

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:50:25 +0000 (UTC), "Small Black Dog"
wrote:

Simply put, avoid hope like the plague. They look nice but are absolutely
****e.

Small Black "i detest my Hope m4 setup" Dog

I've know many people with hope discs who wish they'd gone with hayes, even
shimano.

The brakes squeel, the pad-return spring is a piece of bent metal, after a
year of hardly heavy use, both brakes are leaking and the performance has
never been *Remarkable* I was better off with my Magura HS33s

It's pretty clear, at least to me, that the QC in bike component
manufacturing is inconsistent, to say the least.

No problems with my Hope Minis or M4s and there is no way in hell that
I would go back to HS33s.

Old July 11th 03, 03:15 AM
John Spann

TJ wrote:
I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty aggresive
cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical trails to
ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem is
that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1 pad
will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit after a
long steep decent. I'm sure I would like the Shimano XT, or some Hayes
equivelent disk brakes but I was wondering if there were some different
brands like Grimeca, Hope, or Magura that someone would have some input on.
Input on Shimano and Hayes would also be welcome.

Thanks for any help on this topic.

TJ

Hydraulic is nice. The only issue I have is the different lever travel
(front vs. back) on a set of '01 Hayes. They are way better than
standard "vee" brakes with the best pads you can put on 'em. That is of
course, in my oh-so-humble ohpeenyon.

John Spann

Old July 11th 03, 08:59 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

I attributed this to severe fade as they had gotten almost red hot.

They were... glowing??? That entails that the rotor was well beyond 1000
degrees C, which would bubble the paint on your fork, boil the hydraulic
fluid in your lines and quite possibly in your fork, and cause the problems
that you're having.

Given that motorcycle brakes don't glow while being used, you must be going
at somewhere between 200 and 250MPH. You might want to pace yourself and
just take it slow.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 11th 03, 11:13 AM
Shaun Rimmer

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote in message
I attributed this to severe fade as they had gotten almost red hot.

They were... glowing??? That entails that the rotor was well beyond 1000
degrees C, which would bubble the paint on your fork, boil the hydraulic
fluid in your lines and quite possibly in your fork, and cause the

problems
that you're having.

I don't believe so - IIRC, John G (Clydesdale) had his rotors glowing at
least one time.

Given that motorcycle brakes don't glow while being used, you must be

going
at somewhere between 200 and 250MPH. You might want to pace yourself and
just take it slow.

That logic doesn't follow.

Shaun aRe

Old July 11th 03, 11:30 AM
Small Black Dog

I don't believe so - IIRC, John G (Clydesdale) had his rotors glowing at
least one time.

Yeah, I too have been witness to glowing discs. It was the most amazing
thing to see my mate fly past me in near pitch darkness with glowing discs.

Small Black Dog

Old July 11th 03, 12:37 PM
Westie

"Small Black Dog" wrote in message

I don't believe so - IIRC, John G (Clydesdale) had his rotors glowing at
least one time.

Yeah, I too have been witness to glowing discs. It was the most amazing
thing to see my mate fly past me in near pitch darkness with glowing

discs.

Small Black Dog

Cool. I wouldn't have thought it possible.
--
Westie

Old July 11th 03, 12:57 PM
Small Black Dog

Cool. I wouldn't have thought it possible.

It wasnt like some cartoon-style flaming disc but you could make then out
from the rest of the bike against the darkness

Small Black Dog

Old July 11th 03, 01:29 PM
Shaun Rimmer

Small Black Dog wrote in message
Cool. I wouldn't have thought it possible.

It wasnt like some cartoon-style flaming disc but you could make then out
from the rest of the bike against the darkness

Shoulda thrown some paraffin on 'em then ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Whoosh!

rb-misc In the News Thornhill General 7 July 21st 04 02:56 PM
Where is the quick release on my brakes? David Kerber General 17 September 16th 03 03:18 PM
Crossmax and new disc question [email protected] Mountain Biking 1 July 4th 03 02:40 PM
Opinions on Hayes HMX-1 Mechanical Disc Brakes? David L Mountain Biking 2 June 27th 03 12:12 AM
What to replace Novatech cable disk brakes with? Paul Gravestock Mountain Biking 0 June 26th 03 12:25 AM