Increasing one's cadence

Old June 16th 05, 03:07 PM
John Burns

Default Increasing one's cadence

Anyone got any good tips for increasing one's cadence? I do about 100
miles a week on my tourer in fairly hilly terrain. My average cadence is
between 55-65 (17-21mph roughly) with bursts up to 70. But above 70
(25mph) I run totally out of steam.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old June 16th 05, 03:20 PM

John Burns wrote:
Anyone got any good tips for increasing one's cadence?

practice makes perfect and simply selecting one gear lower than you
would normally choose will get you into the swing of it. I am not sure
if there are any cleverer methods

best wishes
james

Old June 16th 05, 03:28 PM
Mark Thompson

Anyone got any good tips for increasing one's cadence? I do about 100
miles a week on my tourer in fairly hilly terrain. My average cadence is
between 55-65 (17-21mph roughly) with bursts up to 70. But above 70
(25mph) I run totally out of steam.

Drop a gear or two. What you're doing is cycling faster in the same gear,
rather than just increasing your cadence. It won't feel like your legs are
pushing much with a cadence above 70 at 17-21 mph, but I suppose that's the
point :-)
Old June 16th 05, 03:50 PM
Jon_H

"Mark Thompson" wrote in message
. 222.123...
Anyone got any good tips for increasing one's cadence? I do about 100
miles a week on my tourer in fairly hilly terrain. My average cadence is
between 55-65 (17-21mph roughly) with bursts up to 70. But above 70
(25mph) I run totally out of steam.

Drop a gear or two. What you're doing is cycling faster in the same gear,
rather than just increasing your cadence. It won't feel like your legs

are
pushing much with a cadence above 70 at 17-21 mph, but I suppose that's

the
point :-)

Ride a fixed wheel that will increase your cadence no end especially down
steep hills (only joking)

but it does do wonders for the cadence.

cheers
Jon_H

Old June 16th 05, 06:33 PM

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:07:43 +0100, John Burns
wrote:

Anyone got any good tips for increasing one's cadence? I do about 100
miles a week on my tourer in fairly hilly terrain. My average cadence is
between 55-65 (17-21mph roughly) with bursts up to 70. But above 70
(25mph) I run totally out of steam.

Why do you want to do this?

Old June 16th 05, 06:33 PM
Mark van Gorkom

wrote:

Anyone got any good tips for increasing one's cadence? I do about 100
miles a week on my tourer in fairly hilly terrain. My average cadence is
between 55-65 (17-21mph roughly) with bursts up to 70. But above 70
(25mph) I run totally out of steam.

Install shorter cranks.
I went from 175mm to 155 mm cranks and my cadence went up from 85-90
to 100-105, wich is helping my knees a lot.
( Used to cycle in the highest possible gear at all times and promptly
knackered both knees; took a lot of time to get up to 80-90 rpm and
still had knee problems in cold weather).

Mark van Gorkom.

Old June 16th 05, 08:06 PM
Danny Colyer

John Burns wrote:
Anyone got any good tips for increasing one's cadence? I do about 100
miles a week on my tourer in fairly hilly terrain. My average cadence is
between 55-65 (17-21mph roughly) with bursts up to 70. But above 70
(25mph) I run totally out of steam.

When I used to ride an ATB, I found that my cadence increased when I
started using tri-bars. Curiously, it remained at the higher rate when
I wasn't using the tri-bars.

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old June 16th 05, 08:08 PM
Simon Brooke

in message ,

wrote:

Anyone got any good tips for increasing one's cadence? I do about 100
miles a week on my tourer in fairly hilly terrain. My average cadence
is between 55-65 (17-21mph roughly) with bursts up to 70. But above 70
(25mph) I run totally out of steam.

Why do you want to do this?

Better for your joints. Low cadence - knackered knees, in the long
term.

Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben... Ist
nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken sichtseeren
keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und
watchen das cursorblinken. -- quoted from the jargon file

Old June 16th 05, 10:11 PM
Peter Clinch

Simon Brooke wrote:

Better for your joints. Low cadence - knackered knees, in the long
term.

And in the shorter term, on a single ride you can keep going for
longer without finding out your legs have stopped working. Which
is really, really Crap 10 miles from home the wrong side of a Big
Hill...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK