Forest Park Bike Trail

Old January 19th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Forest Park Bike Trail

Hmmm. Once again, Mr. KnowzAllTheBikewaysInNewYork looks to the side of a
rarely traveled highway and finds yet ANOTHER new strip of pavement!

Today, while driving on the Jackie Robinson Parkway, I glanced over to the
east bound side and saw what looks like a fairly new bikeway skirting Forest
Park and extending to around Cypress Hills Road. I don't know this area
very well, but have heard that there was some bicycling to be done in Forest
Park. I just didn't know that meant a full-blown bike path.

Anyway, I want to check it out in the spring (or sooner, if this weather
keeps up), so can anybody give me the specs? How do I get to the beginning
of the bikeway? How far does it go? Is the surrounding area safe for
riding? My family came from Ridgewood in the 30s and 40s, but the
neighborhood looks a little rougher these days.

Thanks.

Old January 20th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

NY Rides wrote:
Hmmm. Once again, Mr. KnowzAllTheBikewaysInNewYork looks to the side of a
rarely traveled highway and finds yet ANOTHER new strip of pavement!

Today, while driving on the Jackie Robinson Parkway, I glanced over to the
east bound side and saw what looks like a fairly new bikeway skirting Forest
Park and extending to around Cypress Hills Road. I don't know this area
very well, but have heard that there was some bicycling to be done in Forest
Park. I just didn't know that meant a full-blown bike path.

Anyway, I want to check it out in the spring (or sooner, if this weather
keeps up), so can anybody give me the specs? How do I get to the beginning
of the bikeway? How far does it go? Is the surrounding area safe for
riding? My family came from Ridgewood in the 30s and 40s, but the
neighborhood looks a little rougher these days.

Thanks.

Ridgewood is a rougher nabe nowadays (not just working class but
working poor and poor -- always check with the local precinct), but
Forest Park is safe all right. I think I even know the path you're
talking about -- but it's been around for years now. I haven't been
there since the early fall, and never really paid attention to stuff
like distance and so forth, but I recall it being about a twenty-minute
kind of ride....

Actually, there are many paths, and I can't claim to have tried them
all...I'm sorry, let me shut up now....

Old January 20th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

...Actually, there are many paths, and I can't claim to have tried them
all...I'm sorry, let me shut up now....

No need to shut up, but let's continue this at nyc.bicycles instead of
boring all these people to death here.

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 20th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

NY Rides wrote:
...Actually, there are many paths, and I can't claim to have tried them

all...I'm sorry, let me shut up now....

No need to shut up, but let's continue this at nyc.bicycles instead of
boring all these people to death here.

Okay jokey...so where's this path you want me to check out again? I'll
do it this Sunday, but tell me where it's s'posed to be...I heard
Jackie Robinson Parkway? I think I know the one, but I can better
confirm if you provide more details, mabye -- and a shopping list of
what you're looking for (distance, obstacles, road conditions, etc.).

Old January 21st 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Okay jokey...so where's this path you want me to check out again?

It appears to skirt Forest Park, off the Jackie Robinson (formerly
Interboro) Parkway. I found it on the NYC Bike Map, and others have told me
a little about it. I'd like to add it to my web site, so I'll need to know
exactly where it begins and ends, how long it is, how suitable it is for
"casual riders" (the audience for the site), and if there are any special
attractions it passes. Also, for myself, I'd like to know if the streets
around it are good for biking, as I'd like to make it part of my personal
Queens route, which usually takes in the Cross Island Bikeway, all of
Flushing Meadow Park, the Flushing Bay Promenade, and some streets in
Elmhurst, Astoria, and LI City leading to the Queensboro Bridge.

Ultimately, I'll check it out myself, but if you'd like a credit on the site
for being the first brave soul to report back on this path, go for it!

TM
"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 23rd 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Hey, Mr. KnowzAllTheBikewaysInNewYork -- there's no such thing as
Cypress Hills Road! There is a Cypress Hills Street, but that's out of
the park, in the cemetary next door!

Do you have better coordinates?

From what you said -- by Ridgewood, by east-bound Jackie R., paved path

-- I gather it's that 2/5 of a mile stretch ringing the western edge of
Forest Park Golf Course. It starts by a parking lot, and ends in a
small playground in Glendale, Queens.

There were lots of twigs and such debris on the path, which isn't "new"
though it's still in fairly good condition. It seemed pretty well used
during the waning winter afternoon hour I was there -- I saw a family,
a bicyclist, a jogger, and a hiker -- though it's a bit out of the way
in relation to the park as a whole. Glendale is a nice working class
area, like how Queens used to be, for the most part, and the Ridgewood
beyond the parking lot where this path starts (or ends, depending on
your origin, of course), along Park Lane South, is the nicer part of
it, too, with tidy private houses and kept-up lawns.

This has got to be what you saw in passing while driving along the
Jackie R. It's actually a path that's been around for a few years now,
though.

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you -- my neighbor's WiFi
signal isn't very predictable these days!