The BMA Promote Safer Cycling

Old April 19th 09, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default The BMA Promote Safer Cycling

"Judith Smith" wrote in message
Well, I've drunk 100-120 units a week for 30 years, so I must be due to
die
very soon!

How do you make up this 100/120 units a week - if you don't mind me
asking?

It would be nearer 100 units in a normal week. In an evening, I might have 5
x 440 ml cans of 1.9 units and 2 x 440 ml cans of 2.1 units which is 13.7
units. I then go to bed at 9-00 pm to get up at 5-30 am. I don't get
dehydrated as the stuff is 96% water anyway.

In a week, that is nearly 96 units. If I am not at work the next day, I may
have a couple more which would take the total over 100 units.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old April 19th 09, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Default The BMA Recycle BeHIT Bull****

Marc wrote:
Tony Dragon wrote:
Sir Jeremy wrote:
On 19 Apr, 15:37, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 06:31:31 -0700 (PDT), francis

wrote:
Misleading subjectline corrected
Francis
Ditto :-)

Guy
--http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Newsgroup may contain nuts.

At the end of the day when the government decides that "something must
be done" , whose advice will they follow - the BMA or Guy Chapman?

We're dooomed

They are going to follow Chapman.

Is his advice cheaper?

He gives it free to this NG.

--
Tony the Dragon
Old April 19th 09, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 16:09:44 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

"Roger Thorpe" wrote in message
Well, I've drunk 100-120 units a week for 30 years, so I must be due to
die very soon!

Blimey, I couldn't do even a quarter of that and be a reasonable tester
too. I'm even more impressed (sort of!).

Well, it's not something to boast about really! I never touch wine or
spirits and can get on the road every day at 6-00am, so it doesn't do me
much harm. Come to think of it, I've cut down a lot. In my 20's I'd have 10
pints of beer a day (3 at dinner) and now I might have 5-6 every evening, so
I've slowed down in my old age.

So BP (if it was them) didn't mind you being drunk at work?

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Old April 19th 09, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Judith Smith" wrote in message

Well, it's not something to boast about really! I never touch wine or
spirits and can get on the road every day at 6-00am, so it doesn't do me
much harm. Come to think of it, I've cut down a lot. In my 20's I'd have
10
pints of beer a day (3 at dinner) and now I might have 5-6 every evening,
so
I've slowed down in my old age.

So BP (if it was them) didn't mind you being drunk at work?

I worked for Croda then. It was the 1970's and everyone went out for drinks
at dinner, it was considered normal. Nowadays, we have random blood checks
for drugs and alcohol at work. I never drink during the day now anyway, even
on my days off.

Old April 19th 09, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 16:07:44 +0100, Marc
wrote:

And again I would like to understand why anyone pays that much
attention to body technicians?
If I want to know how to cycle safely, I consult a cycling coach, not a
cycle mechanic.

This is essentially what they are doing, much to the irritation of the
"cycle safety=helmets" mob.

Guy

Old April 19th 09, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 16:15:16 +0100, Marc
wrote:

wrote:
Misleading subjectline corrected
Francis
Ditto :-)

Guy
--http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Newsgroup may contain nuts.

At the end of the day when the government decides that "something must
be done" , whose advice will they follow - the BMA or Guy Chapman?

We're dooomed

They are going to follow Chapman.

Is his advice cheaper?

Chapman?

Surely you meant cheap-and-nasty:

"inexpensive but with the disadvantage of being unsuitable to one's
purposes"

Old April 19th 09, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 12:27:28 +0100, Tony Dragon
wrote:

We can't have anything about cycle helmets saving injuries published,
can we?

Sure we can as long as it makes the point that helmet use is not
correlated with cycle safety in any cyclist population ever studied.

From the BMA pages:

* publicity and education campaigns in order to raise drivers'
awareness of more vulnerable road-users, including cyclists
* the creation of a safer cycling environment (eg improving cycle
routes)
* reductions in vehicle speeds and traffic volume in urban areas
* the provision of cycling training for all children
* recognizing road safety, including cycling proficiency
education, as part of the curriculum for all school children.
This should include basic cycle maintenance, and safety
precautions (eg lights, reflective clothing), information on the
health benefits of cycling, as well as encouraging cycle helmet
use
* ensuring the correct fitting of cycle helmets as poorly fitted
helmets are less effective
* advertising standards officials should ensure that the public
are protected against misleading safety claims from
manufacturers
* cycle manufacturers and retailers should consider supplying a
free cycle helmet (or helmet voucher) with every bike sold
* helmet costs should be reduced substantially. (In the UK helmets
are free of value added tax)

So, the focus is mainly helmets despite the fact that there is no
cyclist population which has ever demonstrated improved safety from
increased levels of helmet use, and helmet use is lowest in those
countries where cycling is safest.

This reminds me, though, of a project I worked on just out of
university. The Boss of an abrasives manufacturer (let's call it the
Wobbly Wheel Company, as everyone there did) wanted us to design a
really clever all-singing all-dancing balance testing system to check
green state wheels before curing and reduce balance failures and
rejection. Fair enough, you say. So as the first step we correlated
balance problems against other factors and found that - guess what? -
they were worst in the morning when the mix was left to normalise for
only about half an hour, and had stabilised by evening when the
normalising time was up to the recommended two hours. We also found
that it was much worse on humid days, and was strongly dependent on
temperature.

So we recommended that he enclose and air condition the mixing bay and
start the mixing crew two hours before the main shift.

What was the response?

Obviously that he wanted us to build the automated balance testing
system first and /then/ look at the mixing bay project, which was
cheaper and would make the balance testing system redundant.

Now, the BMA page hints at this by alluding to the causes of risk, but
then gets onto the hobby-horse of helmets even though it is quite
possible that the risk could be reduced so far by the other measures -
especially training for cyclists and education for drivers - as to
make the problem even less significant than it is now.

In other words, it's a coatrack on which to hang helmet promotion and
completely fails even to acknowledge the fact that helmet use and
cycle safety *are not correlated* in any known cyclist population.

Which is not unexpected; doctors are paternalistic interventionists by
nature. We just shouldn't place too much emphasis on what they say
about subjects outside their expertise, like cycle safety.

Guy

Old April 19th 09, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message

In other words, it's a coatrack on which to hang helmet promotion and
completely fails even to acknowledge the fact that helmet use and
cycle safety *are not correlated* in any known cyclist population.

Which is not unexpected; doctors are paternalistic interventionists by
nature. We just shouldn't place too much emphasis on what they say
about subjects outside their expertise, like cycle safety.

I can't see helmet compulsion for adults ever coming in. The cycling lobby
is huge and when under attack or when needs must, closes ranks and comes
together.

Besides which, the biggest problems are obesity and CO2 emissions and of
course the appalling road deaths in car accidents. Helmets for adult
cyclists is small beer in comparision.

Old April 19th 09, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
OG

Default The BMA Promote Cycle Helmet Use to make Cycling Safer

francis wrote:
On Apr 19, 2:12 pm, "OG" wrote:
Misleading subjectline corrected

Misleading subjectline corrected

Francis

Are you able to point to any instances where mandatory helmet use (which
the BMA is promoting) has made /cycling/ safer?

Old April 19th 09, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

Just zis Guy, you know? twisted the electrons to say:
So we recommended that he enclose and air condition the mixing bay and
start the mixing crew two hours before the main shift.

What was the response?

Obviously that he wanted us to build the automated balance testing
system first and /then/ look at the mixing bay project, which was
cheaper and would make the balance testing system redundant.

I think the clear fault there was giving the client what they needed, as

Cycling is safer with LANCE gone [email protected] Racing 4 July 14th 08 08:17 AM
Critical Mass - productive campaign to promote cycling or... The Nottingham Duck UK 54 September 23rd 05 06:33 AM
Safer Helmet Tilly UK 1 June 17th 05 12:07 PM
MTBing Safer Than You Might Think Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 15 November 27th 04 03:58 AM
Bridelways now safer Just zis Guy, you know? UK 2 July 29th 03 06:59 PM