Rash from hydration pack straps

Old September 28th 14, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Rash from hydration pack straps

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 07:47:26 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

http://usa.zefal.com/hydrationpacks/

I have the blue 2L version.

There is no tag but it feels like the material that modern duffel bags
are made from and between the outer material and the mesh there is some
sort of foam to buffer the load.

That would be nylon material over urethane foam.

Nylon by itself isn't usually allergenic, but might have some
bactericide or fungicide mixed into the material that's causing
problem. Offhand, I would guess it's the underlying rubber:
http://latexallergyresources.org/articles/cotton-nylon-spandex-and-allergies#nylon
http://latexallergyresources.org/articles/cotton-nylon-spandex-and-allergies#cotton

I kept the glossy cardboard tag that came with it but it doesn't say
either. But ... good point, I could write to them and ask.

Ask them what it's made from and what treatment it has been subjected
to:
http://usa.zefal.com/contactandservice/

If the thick cotton wrap gets soaked with perspiration, then there
might be something soluble in the straps that is producing an allergic
reaction. To give the pads some liquid isolation, try trapping the
pads in cellophane wrap and then bury them under a layer of thick
cotton.

That is a good idea. It should show whether the problem is allergic or
abrasion.

Since the rash covers almost all points of contact with the straps, I
would guess(tm) it's an allergic reaction. Abrasion requires an
abrasive, which under the cotton t-shirt, is unlikely.

Get an all cotton baby carrier:
http://www.amazon.com/Carrier-Comfort-Backpack-Fashion-Adjustable/dp/B00EY8PV1W
Turn it around backwards, hang it on your back, insert water bag, add
plumbing, and you're done.

This sort of all cotton would shred within very few rides. I often go on
trails that are overgrown. So my backpack, my clothing and unfortunately
my arms and legs get scraped like the sides of well-worn offroad
vehicles. But the straps might work.

Try it for one ride. The baby carrier is cheap enough. Just make
sure it's all cotton. If it works, you have most of the cause and
part of the solution.

If you can run a sewing machine, make your own cotton straps and
padded covers.

I have cotton padding on the straps right now it but doesn't help much.

If you're transferring sweat through the t-shirt and pads, and then
back again, it might be carrying some chemical with it that's causing
the rash. Try the cellophane trick.

Thanks, got it bookmarked. Currently I am using Aloe Vera Cool & Fresh
creme from CVS.

Sigh. Such creams cool by evaporation. Smear some on a glass plate,
warm the plate to skin temperature, and watch it disappear. When they
claim that it "penetrates" the skin, they're lying:
http://humantouchofchemistry.com/why-cold-cream-is-so-cool-to-touch.htm
Try something containing hydrocortisone instead:
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-10402/hydrocortisone-top/details

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 28th 14, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

http://usa.zefal.com/hydrationpacks/

I have the blue 2L version.

There is no tag but it feels like the material that modern duffel bags
are made from and between the outer material and the mesh there is some
sort of foam to buffer the load.

That would be nylon material over urethane foam.

Nylon by itself isn't usually allergenic, but might have some
bactericide or fungicide mixed into the material that's causing
problem. Offhand, I would guess it's the underlying rubber:
http://latexallergyresources.org/articles/cotton-nylon-spandex-and-allergies#nylon
http://latexallergyresources.org/articles/cotton-nylon-spandex-and-allergies#cotton

I don't have a Latex allergy but any clothing that contacts my skin and
is 15-20% artificial fiber material gives me itches and sometimes
rashes. Cotton and other natural stuff never doesn't.

I kept the glossy cardboard tag that came with it but it doesn't say
either. But ... good point, I could write to them and ask.

Ask them what it's made from and what treatment it has been subjected
to:
http://usa.zefal.com/contactandservice/

I wrote to them this morning. Let's see.

If the thick cotton wrap gets soaked with perspiration, then there
might be something soluble in the straps that is producing an allergic
reaction. To give the pads some liquid isolation, try trapping the
pads in cellophane wrap and then bury them under a layer of thick
cotton.

That is a good idea. It should show whether the problem is allergic or
abrasion.

Since the rash covers almost all points of contact with the straps, I
would guess(tm) it's an allergic reaction. Abrasion requires an
abrasive, which under the cotton t-shirt, is unlikely.

My guess as well. So covering should help.

Get an all cotton baby carrier:
http://www.amazon.com/Carrier-Comfort-Backpack-Fashion-Adjustable/dp/B00EY8PV1W
Turn it around backwards, hang it on your back, insert water bag, add
plumbing, and you're done.

This sort of all cotton would shred within very few rides. I often go on
trails that are overgrown. So my backpack, my clothing and unfortunately
my arms and legs get scraped like the sides of well-worn offroad
vehicles. But the straps might work.

Try it for one ride. The baby carrier is cheap enough. Just make
sure it's all cotton. If it works, you have most of the cause and
part of the solution.

I also have an old German mountain-climber pack, about 50 years old. All
natural materials so maybe I just wear that for a ride. It'll look
funny, a guy on a new-age MTB wearing a caveman-style backpack. It even
has leather holders for a shovel and a pick-axe.

If you can run a sewing machine, make your own cotton straps and
padded covers.

I have cotton padding on the straps right now it but doesn't help much.

If you're transferring sweat through the t-shirt and pads, and then
back again, it might be carrying some chemical with it that's causing
the rash. Try the cellophane trick.

I will. But my parade rained out today :-(

OTOH that's good news because it'll snuff out much of the King Fire and
California needs rain badly.

Thanks, got it bookmarked. Currently I am using Aloe Vera Cool & Fresh
creme from CVS.

Sigh. Such creams cool by evaporation. Smear some on a glass plate,
warm the plate to skin temperature, and watch it disappear. When they
claim that it "penetrates" the skin, they're lying:
http://humantouchofchemistry.com/why-cold-cream-is-so-cool-to-touch.htm
Try something containing hydrocortisone instead:
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-10402/hydrocortisone-top/details

Aloe Vera cream helps me a lot. It works well. I need mostly because I
ride trails that are overgrown so I always have scratches and bruises.
It's the price to pay for being able to almost totally get away from
civilization and into really pristine areas.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 28th 14, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 12:53:45 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

I don't have a Latex allergy but any clothing that contacts my skin and
is 15-20% artificial fiber material gives me itches and sometimes
rashes. Cotton and other natural stuff never doesn't.

I don't know much about the topic, but I did find this interesting
article on chemicals found in clothing:
http://www.totalhealthmagazine.com/articles/allergies-asthma/consumers-beware-toxins-lurking-in-your-clothing.html
You might want to test which one's are giving you problems (i.e.
teflon, formaldehyde, TDBPP (brominated tris), partially cured
plasticizer, etc).

I also have an old German mountain-climber pack, about 50 years old. All
natural materials so maybe I just wear that for a ride. It'll look
funny, a guy on a new-age MTB wearing a caveman-style backpack. It even
has leather holders for a shovel and a pick-axe.

Post a photo. This should be interesting. I have my circa 1960's IDF
(Israel Defense Forces) canvas cotton rucksack somewhere that might
also work. Look around for stuff made from canvas (and watch out for
polyester thread).

I will. But my parade rained out today :-(

No rain in Santa Cruz County yet. It might rain if I uncover my wood
pile or think about washing my car. Probably won't happen as the
weather radar shows the rain piled up against the Yosemite side of the
central valley:
http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=hnx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loo p=no
Oh well.

Old September 28th 14, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

http://usa.zefal.com/hydrationpacks/

I have the blue 2L version.

There is no tag but it feels like the material that modern duffel bags
are made from and between the outer material and the mesh there is some
sort of foam to buffer the load.

That would be nylon material over urethane foam.

Nylon by itself isn't usually allergenic, but might have some
bactericide or fungicide mixed into the material that's causing
problem. Offhand, I would guess it's the underlying rubber:
http://latexallergyresources.org/articles/cotton-nylon-spandex-and-allergies#nylon
http://latexallergyresources.org/articles/cotton-nylon-spandex-and-allergies#cotton

It could be just a heat rash.

--
JS
Old September 29th 14, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

I don't have a Latex allergy but any clothing that contacts my skin and
is 15-20% artificial fiber material gives me itches and sometimes
rashes. Cotton and other natural stuff never doesn't.

I don't know much about the topic, but I did find this interesting
article on chemicals found in clothing:
http://www.totalhealthmagazine.com/articles/allergies-asthma/consumers-beware-toxins-lurking-in-your-clothing.html
You might want to test which one's are giving you problems (i.e.
teflon, formaldehyde, TDBPP (brominated tris), partially cured
plasticizer, etc).

In the end it doesn't matter since the pack is what it is. I just have
to find a solution that makes the rash go away, or better yet, not appear.

I also have an old German mountain-climber pack, about 50 years old. All
natural materials so maybe I just wear that for a ride. It'll look
funny, a guy on a new-age MTB wearing a caveman-style backpack. It even
has leather holders for a shovel and a pick-axe.

Post a photo. This should be interesting. I have my circa 1960's IDF
(Israel Defense Forces) canvas cotton rucksack somewhere that might
also work. Look around for stuff made from canvas (and watch out for
polyester thread).

Got to dig it out first, it's used as a carrier for seldomly used tools.
All canvas, they didn't use any polyester back then.

I will. But my parade rained out today :-(

No rain in Santa Cruz County yet. It might rain if I uncover my wood
pile or think about washing my car. Probably won't happen as the
weather radar shows the rain piled up against the Yosemite side of the
central valley:
http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=hnx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loo p=no
Oh well.

It stopped so I got 2-1/2h or road bike riding in. About 3mi of it off
pavement. I am amazed what those Gatorskins tolerate.

Old September 29th 14, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

http://usa.zefal.com/hydrationpacks/
I have the blue 2L version.

There is no tag but it feels like the material that modern duffel bags
are made from and between the outer material and the mesh there is some
sort of foam to buffer the load.

That would be nylon material over urethane foam.

Nylon by itself isn't usually allergenic, but might have some
bactericide or fungicide mixed into the material that's causing
problem. Offhand, I would guess it's the underlying rubber:
http://latexallergyresources.org/articles/cotton-nylon-spandex-and-allergies#nylon

http://latexallergyresources.org/articles/cotton-nylon-spandex-and-allergies#cotton

It could be just a heat rash.

Except it also happens in colder weather.

Old September 29th 14, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/28/2014 3:53 PM, Joerg wrote:

I also have an old German mountain-climber pack, about 50 years old. All
natural materials so maybe I just wear that for a ride. It'll look
funny, a guy on a new-age MTB wearing a caveman-style backpack. It even
has leather holders for a shovel and a pick-axe.

According to your descriptions of your commuting route, those could come
in handy! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 29th 14, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

: wrote:
:
[...]

Yeah, so? It's happening under the straps, right? You sweat there,
and straps can cause the irriitation, and can block the sweat glands,
which is what causes pricly heat. Try an antiperspirant on the parts
effected.

--
There's nothing sadder than an ontologist without an ontogenesis.
-- some guy with a beard
Old September 29th 14, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

J, the liquids don't go IN the frame.

Old September 29th 14, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Lieb, invent a device turns urine into Perrier

like a SteriPen

batter, do a video.

It'll 'go viral' !