WHY are cyclists riding at night ?

Old October 11th 14, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default How Frank Krygowski has ruined and is ruining RBT

Andre Jute writes:

On Friday, October 10, 2014 4:39:10 PM UTC+1, Radey Shouman wrote:
Andre Jute writes:

On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:12:41 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 10/7/2014 12:50 PM, Andre Jute wrote:

I had the same experience when I first arrived. Krygowski

announced that he considered me a troublemaker and would drive me out.

False. Soon after you arrived, you entered into a discussion of

aerodyamics, in which you touted your sit-up-and-beg comfort bike,

claiming you easily hit 60 mph (IIRC) on a short Irish downhill.

[ ... ]

Carl
Fogel was the main person claiming that was nonsense. You eventually
amended your story, claiming that you had hired a truck driver to bolt a
plywood shield across the back of his truck for you to draft, and having
him tow you up to speed with a rope.

This is another lie. "Eventually" tries to imply I deliberately
withheld part of the story. I didn't "amend" any story, either, I
added details to it as I discovered that people considered such
details important.

That seems a bit like claiming to have done a vertical leap of 10 feet,
without mentioning that the event was the pole vault. Or of running a
marathon course in 1:45, without mentioning that it was on a bicycle.

See, dear Radey, I had no experience of cyclists gathered in solemn
conclave in a newsgroup. I came to RBT to seek the advice of famous
men, Jobst Brandt, Sheldon Brown, Chalo Colina. Perhaps it was foolish
of me to expect the hoi polloi of Fogel and Krygowski and their
hangers-on like you to be intelligent. Whatever; I had a right at
least to expect good manners. But I couldn't be expected to know you
lot would be ill-bred birdbrains who maliciously place the worst
possible interpretation on anything anyone says, presumably in the
belief that it makes your dicks double in size to bully some
inoffensive newcomer. If I'd known, I would have patronized you with
an explanation so superfluously overflowing in detail, nobody could
have missed my meaning -- or my contempt. Of course, those with brains
and goodwill (the majority) would have been insulted with you dumbos,
and wouldn't have helped me choose the right bike. On the whole it
worked out rather well. The enmity of the scum in the by-now largely
runaway Fogel-Krygowski nexus is a small price to pay for having
exactly the right bike for the last five years, and the rest of my
life.

Andre, bless your little tiny heart, but it does warm mine to see you
remember a former poster with your salutation. I confess to nostalgia
for the bulletins from that epicenter of goat head habitat, the home of
the US printing office and the site of Fogel labs. Carl's adventures
may have been a bit pedestrian, and his investigations imperfectly
rigorous, but I never doubted that they happened very much as he
described them.

Chalo, and, to a lesser extent, Jobst had the talent for bombastic
statements of opinion without inducing backlash -- Frank's talents
lie in other directions.

Of course no one but you can know exactly what your intentions were in
this group, but to all appearances it was a merry troll -- you led off
with a story of your own derring do implausible to anyone not
pathologically credulous. Several regulars took the time to help you,
like some folkloric mother bear, lick your tale into a shape that might
be credited by someone of merely ordinary gullibility. Not being a
conoisseur of trollage, I don't recall a sufficiently abject failure to
explain your continuing bitterness.

But to each his own: some like to talk shop, some like to publicly eat
their livers.

BTW, "the hoi polloi" is redundant, and avoided by those who wish to
appear educated.

ObTech: Just replaced the jockey wheels on my old SunTour cyclone
derailleur, using part Roller Boys BDP-01. These have a selection of
(non-rotating) plastic bushings for various applications, but still
needed a little attention with a small chainsaw file to make them fit.
Unlike the originals, they have ball bearings, and seem work fine.

Old October 11th 14, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Radey Shouman wrote:
BTW, "the hoi polloi" is redundant, and avoided by those who wish to
appear educated.

Depends where one was educated, and how well. This will guide those who wish to speak for plain comprehension rather than to appear superior, and also explains how Radey's error arises:
***
hoi polloi |ˌhɔɪ pɒˈlɔɪ|
pluralnoun (usu. the hoi polloi) derogatory
the masses; the common people: avoid mixing with the hoi polloi.
ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: Greek, literally ‘the many’.
usage: 1 To those in the know, hoi is the Greek word for the definite article the (nominative masculine plural); the phrase hoi polloi thus translates as ‘the many’. This knowledge has led some traditionalists to insist that hoi polloi should not be used in English with the, since that would be to state the word the twice. Such arguments miss the point: once established in English, expressions such as hoi polloi are treated as a fixed unit and are subject to the rules and conventions of English. Evidence shows that use with the has now become an accepted part of standard English usage.
***
Thanks anyway for trying to be "helpful".

Andre Jute

Old October 12th 14, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Rollerboy ?

The 7 GT here all cracked thru the box within a few months: crack crack crack. Cage metallurgy AAA: bend fold multilate then u bend...hammer hammer. Amazing.

http://goo.gl/Nnh3F4

The Cyclone needs holding.

hoi polloi is redundant

bummer abt De Grasse

Old October 12th 14, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

writes:

Rollerboy ?

http://bbbcycling.com/bike-parts/der...pulleys/BDP-01

The 7 GT here all cracked thru the box within a few months: crack crack crack. Cage metallurgy AAA: bend fold multilate then u bend...hammer hammer. Amazing.

http://goo.gl/Nnh3F4

I've been using mine since 1978; so far so good.

The Cyclone needs holding.

hoi polloi is redundant

"The hoi polloi" is redundant.

bummer abt De Grasse

Tyson? It is a little sad that science doesn't have more whole-hearted
promoters.

Old October 12th 14, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

These two little wannabe flame merchants are absolutely intent on finding a stick to beat me with. They have, as usual, chosen the wrong stick, which simply illuminates their ignorance and the poor quality of their education.

On Sunday, October 12, 2014 4:00:33 AM UTC+1, Radey Shouman wrote:
srites:

Gene Daniels, RBT resident illiterate:
hoi polloi is redundant

Sorry I didn't read your post that far before, Daniels. How is "hoi polloi" redundant? You mean, after someone has already described you as scum, calling you common doesn't add much pejorative spice? You idiot, Shouman meant that the "the" in "the hoi polloi" is tautological, what he calls "redundant". By copying Shouman while leaving out the operative word, you demonstrate nothing more than your malice and ignorance, once again. I've told you before, if I make you feel that inferior, don't read my posts. It will never get any better for you, so why beat yourself with it? You must have a life; go live it!

Radey Shouman, RBT resident wannabe linguist
"The hoi polloi" is redundant.

All of it? Gee. I think you mean that the "the" is tautological, what you call "redundant".

Radey Shouman, RBT resident wannabe linguist
"The hoi polloi" is redundant.

Perhaps where you were "educated", Shouman, and then only for the smartarses trying to prove they're somehow "better" than everyone else who speaks plain comprehensible English. Fowler, the authority, says, p236 of the first edition, that people like you should avoid using "hoi polloi" because whatever you do will sound uncomfortable in English. That's good advice that you should have taken. But of course, you don't know who Fowler is. Here's a tip: it is more than a half a century since anyone but my wife and the most outstanding of editors have successfully corrected my English.

Here's the Oxford, telling you bluntly you're wrong, a judgement I showed you before which you ignored to repeat your dumb complaint:
***
Such arguments [as yours, Shouman] miss the point: once established in English, expressions such as hoi polloi are treated as a fixed unit and are subject to the rules and conventions of English. Evidence shows that use with "the" has now become an accepted part of standard English usage.
***

That's final. Twice now. There's no appeal against Fowler and the Oxford.

Next petty, needling little complaint.

Andre Jute
Slow learners are like litter: crunchy underfoot but ugly
Old October 13th 14, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Andre Jute writes:

[...]

Gene, I think he's trying to communicate with us! Perhaps your long
experience with grackles can inform us on the most entertaining way to
proceed.

ObBike: Years ago I attended gradual school at a campus that also hosted
millions of grackles every night. They were commuters, during the day
they scoured the surrounding area for food, and during the evening and
night they roosted in trees and shat. Bicycle parking being a bit thin
on the ground, every so often some poor clueless individual would chain
a bike under a grackle tree overnight. In the morning the tubes would
be grown to twice their former diameter, the texture and color
completely different (a disgusting purple during mulberry season).

This sort of irresponsible parking was a self-limiting process, because
one or two **** covered monuments were enough to warn the unwary. The
bikes would remain for months, no one wanting to touch, much less move
them. Eventually they would disappear; I suppose some glove wearing
groundskeeper cut them loose and threw them out.

Night riding The Bruiser Unicycling 20 November 4th 06 08:22 AM
Night riding tedward Unicycling 2 May 14th 06 11:43 AM
Riding at Night Tim Nunes General 14 January 21st 06 02:16 AM
Night riding. Callistus Valerius Racing 26 February 22nd 05 12:13 AM
Night riding... Absent Husband Australia 67 January 16th 05 07:44 PM